Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: so..what y'all readin'?  (Read 45878 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2005, 11:49:14 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'm waiting, CJ . . .

I had to wait for somebody to ask. Via work I became aware of a radiologist named Baz de Baz, MD. This is untoppable.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2005, 12:22:32 am »

And then you had to wait another hour and 45 minutes? Thanks. Now my day is shot to hell.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2005, 12:53:31 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
And then you had to wait another hour and 45 minutes? Thanks. Now my day is shot to hell.

Hey, you replied at 5:01 and I couldn't very well reply while fleeing work at high speed.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2005, 01:02:01 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'm sorry, V. I didn't make that post very clear. My wife is HELL OF named Pi. It's only that simple.

This is the 2nd coolest name I've ever encountered.


I'm just saying that is a hell of a cliffhanger to post 7 minutes before leaving work, is all.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2005, 03:30:55 am »

I had a friend in my post-high school years whose last name was Pi, which was pronounced "pee". Somewhere along the way, she decided to use her father's last name instead, which was Yu.

I BEGGED her to consider hyphenating instead, so she could be Casey Pi-Yu. I offered money. Sexual favors. Anything. She wouldn't budge.

It ranks with the greatest of personal disappointments in my life.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2005, 04:40:31 am »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
It ranks with the greatest of personal disappointments in my life.


As well it should.  Truly a Bullwinklesque anecdote.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2005, 11:19:20 pm »

I read Infinite Jest this weekend. Yeah, pretty much all of it. This Weekend. Even though it was a gorgeous day here in the ATL I couldn't even haul my ass off the couch to go out and have a cigarette because I had to finish it. Today. So my brain's a little fried, and I really need to interface with someone in re this book (see, I told you I'm fried over this book), but nobody I know has read it. Good book.

The next book I read had better be some Pratchett or something; I'm desperate for a book that's at least mostly freaking linear.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2005, 12:41:54 am »

that is my favorite book of all time.  it made me want to cry and laugh when i read it which very few books can do.

ALL OF YOU SHOULD READ INFINITE JEST.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2005, 01:16:20 am »

I'm reading Deadhouse Gates right now. It's an actual coherent interesting fantasy series. There's so much drivel in this section of the bookstore that I'm really glad I found out about Erikson. Just pretend the cover of the first book isn't there.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2005, 01:36:24 am »

I've been reading... well, class material right now, but it's fairly interesting. I'm working through the Robert Alter translation of Genesis, supplemented by  Louis Ginzberg's The Legends of the Jews. I'm currently procrastinating on a paper attempting to synthesize these two sources' accounts of Abraham. Whee!
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2005, 01:48:17 am »

Man, Infinite Jest pretty much colonized my mind when I read it.  I don't get those people who whined about it being long, cause I'd be pretty happy if I could keep reading it forever.

Unfortunately, all things come to an end, and then one is left with one's school reading.  In my case, Nietzsche, Wagner, lots of things that are in Olde Frenche, and essays on Errol Morris.  However, I read the first half of Nabokov's Bend Sinister this morning, which was charming.  I hadn't read any Nabokov in a long time but I love him madly.
Logged
goose means greedy

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2005, 01:50:15 am »

I'm about to start the new Murakami book 'Kafka on the Shore' .....after I finish reading the back of the book notes about South American historical figures of the 1800's from that Borges fictions book that took forever to read through. really, I'm just slightly OCD and figure it would be "cool" to know random facts otherwise I wouldn't read these notes
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2005, 02:47:09 am »

Quote from: "starlight"
I'm about to start the new Murakami book 'Kafka on the Shore'


I cannot wait to get round to that. That and the last Mitchell book (Cloud Atlas) are pretty much top of my list at the moment.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2005, 02:54:47 am »

I can't wait for Kafka On the Shore to come out in paperback. I'm currently alternating the damn Dos Pasos "USA" trilogy(DEEP READING) with Boris Akunin's "Murder on the Leviathan" (LIGHT READING). I've found out that I am a sucker for historical fiction, especially that which deals with the Victorian Era or literature.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2005, 03:38:45 am »

i would also like to read kafka on the shore, i've never read murakami before but i'm very interested in magic realism taken to that extent (if that's what it is; i'm just inferring from what i've heard about the book).

andalucia: i felt the same way.  when it ended i felt like someone in my family had died, or something.  i actually went out in search of theses online or other supplemental material i could find so i could stay in that universe (i did end up finding one interesting thesis, but not much else).

CortJstr: are you referring to Steve Erickson and you left out the 'c'?  He is a very good sci-fi writer who has some fantasy elements to him.

School reading-wise I just finished Aristotle's Ethics and have moved right on to Politics; pleasure reading, I am still working on Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos, which is really interesting and fun but which takes a sort of non-scientific person like me a long time to get through.

Sorry for asking a lot of questions but I am sort of a book freak.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22   Go Up