Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: so..what y'all readin'?  (Read 45759 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2005, 03:51:09 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't wait for Kafka On the Shore to come out in paperback.


Yeah, I almost waited, but Murakami is my favourite author and I was just about done with the book I was reading, so figured, why not?

It is of the uncomfortable hardback size (I only have one other hardback book of his -- 'after the quake' and it's a mini-hardback, so I guess I just had the wrong idea.. heh), so I may trade in when the paperback comes out though... for collection-wise reasons.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2005, 03:51:47 am »

Quote from: "Max"
CortJstr: are you referring to Steve Erickson and you left out the 'c'?  He is a very good sci-fi writer who has some fantasy elements to him.

Nope. This is Steven Erikson. Minus the C but +N.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2005, 07:08:20 am »

So aside from the school related stuff (contemporary ethics, ecology, shit like that) I haven't had much time for reading.  But the other night I went to a reading by Pete Dexter.  I was impressed by the material he presented (a book he's working on) and so I picked up a copy of Paris Trout, which I guess won the National Book Award in the late 80s.  And people were having books signed, so I had him sign it.  Really nice guy.  I guess something about me screamed "STUDENT!" (I look about 18 when clean shaven, and 21 tops with some scruff, I'm told) and he asked me if I was, I said yes, and he gave me a copy of Train, his newest book.  Really nice guy.  He lives up near Seattle, where I'm from, so that was cool too.

Paris Trout was really good, I thought, and I will hopefully start Train this weekend, depending on how much work I can get done on a paper.  It seemed like someone had mentioned his name here before, but I couldn't find anything.

Also, Nabubrush, I remember you mentioned Andrew Vachss.  He was recommended to me a couple months ago, and I picked up Flood.  The blurb made it seem like it was right up my alley (I love crime/detective fiction) but I wasn't even able to finish it.  I wasn't expecting a parody of the genre, but it read like a poorly executed one.  I also felt like I was being preached at the entire time, like he was just trying to get me to understand that child abuse is a problem and we need to get the scum off the street, and it got a bit obnoxious.  From what I understand, though, Vachss started writing fiction in order to inform what he thought (probably correctly, but I just don't like to be preached at by crime novelists) was a thoroughly ignorant public about the dangers of child abuse, and since Flood is his first novel, I wonder if he develops a more subtle voice in his later ficiton.  Is this the case, Nabu?  And if so, can you suggest a title or two that may be a better start than Flood?

I'm still slowly making my way through Dostoevsky's works, when I get the time (I had an Amazon gift certificate a while back, so I bought the newly translated versions of his novels).  Tony Hillerman provides a good quick fix when I'm not as busy and want some crime ficiton.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2005, 03:50:02 pm »

All this talk about readin' kinda put me in the mood too. Didn't have an inkling of what I wanted to read, so I just grabbed a random "Top 100 Novels" list and figured the top was a good place to start. Just ran to the library and checked out Ulysses. First impression: Damn, this book is big.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2005, 04:05:50 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
All this talk about readin' kinda put me in the mood too. Didn't have an inkling of what I wanted to read, so I just grabbed a random "Top 100 Novels" list and figured the top was a good place to start. Just ran to the library and checked out Ulysses. First impression: Damn, this book is big.

My favorite english teacher said her one goal after she retired was to read Ulysses. I can't imagine ever even trying.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2005, 04:41:24 pm »

Geek confession:

After seeing a trailer for A Scanner Darkly last weekend, I had to dig that one out to re-read.  I haven't read a lot of P.K. Dick novels, but so far that's been my favourite by a long shot (except maybe Ubik).  I'm also a few chapters into Grass' The Tin Drum, but I haven't picked it up for a few nights.

Quote from: "miles"
Paris Trout was really good, I thought, and I will hopefully start Train this weekend, depending on how much work I can get done on a paper.  It seemed like someone had mentioned his name here before, but I couldn't find anything.


I read this in my college writing class, and a few times again since.  It's not something I would normally see myself being into, but I really enjoyed it.  Maybe it's time to dig it out again...
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2005, 01:38:50 pm »

Ulysses isn't as hard as it's rumoured to be... I think mostly no one finishes it because they regard it as some sort of horrible epic task when mostly it's just a really clever, witty book.

Theory B is that I am just a big nerd.
Logged
goose means greedy

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2005, 02:49:09 pm »

Well, Day 1 proved to be quite the frustrating experience. But then, I took the book to work and was reading it there, so that probably had a lot to do with it. I think it's a book that's meant to be read without distraction.

It also helped that I looked up the Wikipedia entry on it and got the run-down on what, exactly, was happening. When you know the story ahead of time, it's a lot easier to understand. Which maybe spoils it a little bit, but I sure wasn't getting very far comprehension-wise without it.

I used to read a lot - I was an English major in college. But over the past five years, I've read one, maybe two novels. Trying to make 2005 a better year in the department.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2005, 12:55:41 am »

I just read "A Scanner Darkly" for the first time a few weeks ago, and it actually inspired me to start looking around for ways to volunteer to help out at drug-treatment centers around me. In a few years, I'm actually going to try to join the Scottish Rite Freemasons, because they focus on community-based drug rehab. My mom, long before she had me, had a pretty serious drug problem. That she was able to kick her habit, remain sane, and go on to work with addicts one of the most amazing things about her. It's in the family!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2005, 01:28:33 am »

I just finished Jennifer Government. It didn't inspire me in any way.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2005, 05:45:54 am »

That's too bad; corporate terrorism is probably a field whose prospects can only get better with time.

A coworker gave me Jennifer Government to read on a cross-country trip I made a couple of years ago. It moved him in some leet-nerd way. I found it more entertaining than staring at the back of the seat in front of me. Interesting way of looking at things.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2005, 03:15:31 pm »

I think the ideas in the book were so close to the actual mark that I kept wanting more. It just seemed like it had been done before, over and over.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2005, 03:36:34 pm »

Just finished up Snow Crash, and now I've moved on to What's The Matter With Kansas?, mainly because I'm getting tired of Thomas Frank being the go-to guy whenever Kansas comes up in the national news.  I figure I can justify my disdain for him by reading his book.
Logged

MaxAce

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2005, 04:06:03 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Geek confession:

After seeing a trailer for A Scanner Darkly last weekend, I had to dig that one out to re-read.  I haven't read a lot of P.K. Dick novels, but so far that's been my favourite by a long shot...


A Scanner Darkly is also one of my favorites. I want to reread it before the movie come out, but my friend Kelly has it.

I am reading a book about the college admissions process.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2005, 04:09:21 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Just finished up Snow Crash

I just read that for the first time last month. I guess it was cool but having read his other stuff first it didn't really hold a candle.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22   Go Up