Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: so..what y'all readin'?  (Read 45794 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2005, 06:18:20 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Just finished up Snow Crash

I just read that for the first time last month. I guess it was cool but having read his other stuff first it didn't really hold a candle.


I adore that novel. I just love what he did to cyberpunk.
Also, finest denoument, ever...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2005, 06:26:45 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Just finished up Snow Crash, and now I've moved on to What's The Matter With Kansas?, mainly because I'm getting tired of Thomas Frank being the go-to guy whenever Kansas comes up in the national news.  I figure I can justify my disdain for him by reading his book.

I must admit that I've never heard of Thomas Frank. What's his damage, and what does he think is the matter with Kansas? Is this one of those "midwestern small towns conceal a dark heart" twonkishnesses that (if I may segue back on topic) have ensured that I will never again attempt to read Kent Haruf?
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2005, 06:36:57 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Just finished up Snow Crash, and now I've moved on to What's The Matter With Kansas?, mainly because I'm getting tired of Thomas Frank being the go-to guy whenever Kansas comes up in the national news.  I figure I can justify my disdain for him by reading his book.

I must admit that I've never heard of Thomas Frank. What's his damage, and what does he think is the matter with Kansas? Is this one of those "midwestern small towns conceal a dark heart" twonkishnesses that (if I may segue back on topic) have ensured that I will never again attempt to read Kent Haruf?


He used to write a publication called The Baffler, which I have never heard of but many apparently have.  His thesis in What's The Matter With Kansas? is that the right has successfully duped rural voters into voting Republican based on Moral Values, but then only implements pro-business legislation which then hurts those same rural voters.  In this book he explores how the right managed to do that, particularly when Kansas was quite the socialist hotbed back in the day.  

I'm sure it's bigger news here in Kansas than other places, but I've seen Frank on several national news/interview shows, and it seems that any time something in Kansas makes the national news they call up Tom.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2005, 08:26:11 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

I must admit that I've never heard of Thomas Frank. What's his damage, and what does he think is the matter with Kansas? Is this one of those "midwestern small towns conceal a dark heart" twonkishnesses that (if I may segue back on topic) have ensured that I will never again attempt to read Kent Haruf?


Isn't he mainly dismayed with the conservativism of middle America?
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2005, 02:57:07 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Isn't he mainly dismayed with the conservativism of middle America?


Kinda like the rest of us.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2005, 05:43:33 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Isn't he mainly dismayed with the conservativism of middle America?


Kinda like the rest of us.


It's going . . . it's going . . . rent the room, Mother - that one's not coming home.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2005, 09:16:02 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I just finished Jennifer Government. It didn't inspire me in any way.


There's nothing in Jennifer Government that wasn't essentially done better in The Space Merchants.

I'm about to give up on Kim Stanley Robinson's latest, Forty Signs of Rain. Really dull, only read as far as I have because I loved the Mars trilogy and The Years of Rice and Salt.

Edit cuz those italics looked like robot ass.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2005, 09:47:08 pm »

I got the Dante Club as a present. Has anybody read this? I don't think I'll even consider tackling it until after System of the World, though.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2005, 11:34:16 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I got the Dante Club as a present. Has anybody read this? I don't think I'll even consider tackling it until after System of the World, though.


I read it in a day whilst trying to fly from New York to Kentucky. Given that I'm a sucker for literary historical fiction, I was down with it. Interesting stuff.

I'm currently working on Carlos Luiz Zafon's "Shadow of the Wind," which is, suprise suprise, a literary historical fiction novel.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2005, 12:33:42 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I read it in a day whilst trying to fly from New York to Kentucky.


Trying?
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2005, 12:45:41 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Bozack"
I read it in a day whilst trying to fly from New York to Kentucky.

Trying?

Tying a red S cape on your back just isn't enough.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2005, 02:16:14 am »

I understand it involves throwing oneself toward the ground and missing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2005, 04:30:39 am »

My superpower is actually that any time I fly, I fly on a day where there will be a snowstorm or massive power-outage; the last four times I've flown, there have been three freak snowstorms and the power went out on the entire Eastern seaboard. So, every time I fly, I end up taking about a day and a half to actually get anywhere, and so I read a lot on flights.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #223 on: March 15, 2005, 09:30:22 pm »

I gotta fly all the time for work. I bring crosswords and my gameboy and maybe a book, but I always get bored with whatever I'm doing. Luckily I usually get first class so I can just drink myself into a coma. I'm reading Fredric Brown right now.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2005, 06:54:13 pm »

Currently, I am reading:
    "Filth" by Irvine Welsh (for the second time)
    "Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It" by Geoff Dyer (stuck at a boring part right now)
    "Homestead : The Glory and Tragedy of an American Steel Town" by William Serrin (also a little bored at the moment)
I love reading Welsh's stuff. I just love getting immersed in the dialect. I just have to be careful not to call everyone "cunt." If you've read his stuff, you know what I mean.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Up