For us students, summer is upon us. It starts this coming Friday for me, but let's face it, I'm phoning in these last three papers (two classes down, two to go).
Do any of you have a good summer reading list? I was cleaning my room tonight (much needed) and made a stack of books that I mean to read this summer. I'm taking classes, but in the form of an intenstive language program in Germany that will last only a month. So I should have some time to read.
The stack turned into three stacks (plus my German text books stack), so I doubt I will get to all of it (in fact, I know I won't), but I think I'm going to start with the recent translation of Don Quixote by Edith Grossman. I was supposed to read it for my Comp Lit class a few years ago but never got around to it, and I hear this is a good translation (I read her translation of Love in the Time of Cholera, and I loved that book, so she's doing something right). Next, Demons by Doestoevsky. And then I need to finish (actually, start again and finish) the autobiography of Garcia Marquez (also trans. by Grossman). I'll see where it goes after that. I will start on Don Quixote when I finish Don't Point that Pistol at me, which may not be until this next weekend, as I'm really busy this week.
That reminds me, in between the weightier stuff will be the normal fix of crime fiction, plus some Pete Dexter. He's great, and is usually a pretty quick read. I really liked Meet Mr Mulliner, so I'll continue with Wodehouse, as well.
Depending on how my German studies go (it's been a couple years), I may even tackle some Kafka and Goethe in the original. But we'll see.