Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down

Author Topic: so..what y'all readin'?  (Read 45698 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #300 on: June 02, 2005, 09:03:42 pm »

Y'all reading travel guides now?  Did they stop writing real books?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #301 on: June 03, 2005, 01:45:59 am »

New read: Trevor Corson's The Secret Life of Lobsters, which deals not only with the habits of said lobsters but with the people obsessed with them (that is to say, marine biologists and lobstermen). Maybe it's a little cornball "human interest," but it's compulsively readable, and sometimes you need solid prose about decent people interspersed with truly bizarre facts about lobster reproduction. (Good heavens, the things I have learned.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2005, 02:18:50 pm »

I just finished Diamond Age. I found a cheap autograhped copy while browsing last week and figured that since I've already read around 4,000 pages of Stephenson in the past 12 months I might as well add this one to the list. The first 3/4 or so were completely awesome. I'm a slow reader but was just tearing through this book. But the ending I didn't really care for.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #303 on: June 07, 2005, 05:46:53 pm »

Stephenson has Problems with endings. It seems like everything's going awesome and great and really cool and then he flashes the lights on and off and tells everybody to get the fuck out. I think he did better with the new stuff, but Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Zodiac and The Big U all  suffer from this.

Shit, I just realized I've read every single book Stephenson's ever put out.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2005, 05:50:27 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
but Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Zodiac and The Big U all  suffer from this.

I agree that the ending ending of Snow Crash was a bit concise, but Hiro's ending is just one of my favourite things ever!

Quote from: "Bozack"

Shit, I just realized I've read every single book Stephenson's ever put out.


I do plan to, I just have so much else to read at the moment that I haven't even bought Quicksilver yet.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2005, 05:52:59 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

I do plan to, I just have so much else to read at the moment that I haven't even bought Quicksilver yet.


I don't even KNOW you anymore!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2005, 06:11:38 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Shit, I just realized I've read every single book Stephenson's ever put out.

I do plan to, I just have so much else to read at the moment that I haven't even bought Quicksilver yet.

The whole series is worth reading just for The Confusion. That was frickin' awesome.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #307 on: June 07, 2005, 06:26:09 pm »

I um, got Snow Crash as my audible.com book last month.

I'm a reader, but I've never really found modern novels that held my attention - so rather than leave them half-finished I'm listening to them in audiobook format and find that they make nice soundtracks for a late night walk or washing the dishes or something.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2005, 07:20:29 pm »

how exactly do you end snow crash differently?  i mean, is there really a way to phrase "and then a shitload of young girls knock on the door and say 'ya, about that dumping us into ditches to die and shit, ya, that's not gonna happen again, least to _us_'" any better?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #309 on: June 07, 2005, 07:57:27 pm »

Well, the issue my friend had with the ending was that he never found out quite what happened to Uncle Enzo. And I could kind of see what he meant, but at the same time...

(Wasn't much of an issue as he loved it.)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2005, 08:51:37 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
how exactly do you end snow crash differently?  i mean, is there really a way to phrase "and then a shitload of young girls knock on the door and say 'ya, about that dumping us into ditches to die and shit, ya, that's not gonna happen again, least to _us_'" any better?


i'm mentally challenged and can't discern from snow crash and diamond age and very sorry.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #311 on: June 07, 2005, 09:31:05 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"


i'm mentally challenged and can't discern from snow crash and diamond age and very sorry.


I was being confused by that but figured maybe you meant all the couriers or something. I see what you mean though. Most people I know are disappointed by the second half of The Diamond Age, but by then I was just in love with that book so much for the writing that I didn't care and can't tell.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #312 on: June 08, 2005, 12:52:28 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "arkabee"


i'm mentally challenged and can't discern from snow crash and diamond age and very sorry.


I was being confused by that but figured maybe you meant all the couriers or something. I see what you mean though. Most people I know are disappointed by the second half of The Diamond Age, but by then I was just in love with that book so much for the writing that I didn't care and can't tell.


i am struck, from the ending of diamond age, with a concurrent, overwhelming sense of joy and doom.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #313 on: June 08, 2005, 08:09:38 pm »

The Diamond Age feels like there were another three or four chapters to go at the end that were mysteriously clipped off by the editors and never restored in subsequent editions.  A shame too, because the first half of the book is this insane rush of brilliant ideas.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so..what y'all readin'?
« Reply #314 on: June 12, 2005, 08:39:53 pm »

I finally got around to reading Watchmen this week. It was interesting but took me a while to get into. What's the deal with their crazy cigarettes?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up