Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: You Bitches Are Expensive  (Read 7402 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
You Bitches Are Expensive
« on: February 20, 2004, 05:29:55 am »

Seriously, kids, I'm happy to let you all play in my pool, and you've thankfully avoided taking a shit in the deep end for at least the past two weeks, but the traffic that the board gets is just murder.

It's not just the members - the board is getting around 1,200 unique visitors a day now - they go nuts with reading stuff and not joining.

Would it be horribly offensive to the regulars if there was a single pop-under ad?  I could probably fix it so that registered members did not see any advertising.  Would that work?

I've just got to figure a way to have the board pay for itself at least, and the tip jar has grown cobwebs in the past four months.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 05:34:36 am »

Thanks to the wonders of Mozilla, I'm quite indifferent to this proposition.
Logged
goose means greedy

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 05:48:23 am »

The most surprising thing about this is the very notion that we are of any interest to anyone apart from ourselves. We're so self-referential Peter Greenaway would blush and These Dudes Have Got No Mercy when it comes to new blood. (Bozack, I am hella impressed with the speed and grace with which you joined the Cast of Characters. Zum Beispiel.)

My feelings on the ads - if it'll pay the rent, you go ahead and tart this High School Honor Student By Day, Hollywood Hooker By Night right the hell up. It would be extremely awesome if said sponsors were actually pitching the sort of shit we would like to buy; hell, even a "click here if you're maybe gonna buy something from the amazon dot com" link would probably turn in some scratch.

Granted: I know precisely dick about the wild world of e-commerce apart from what brings me my used CD's and other people's bought-and-paid-for pornography. Point being: Jough, it's your bat, your ball, your vacant lot, and your comically rowdy set of knickerbocker-clad orphans w/ heart(s) of gold.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 06:00:51 am »

My thought on the matter: I put up with far worse for sites I respect far less. Do your worst, Message Board Daddy.

(And I'll be throwing into the tip jar... once I max out the available titles. With luck it shouldn't be too long.)
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 06:17:34 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
(Bozack, I am hella impressed with the speed and grace with which you joined the Cast of Characters. Zum Beispiel.)

SUCKIN' DICK BOUGHT THESE INTERNET FRIENDS.
No, but seriously, that's beyond fine with me. As long as it's not X10 cameras....
Hey, here's an idea. Occasionally, I've been know to star in a few "art films", you know, tastefully done, letterbox format, no giraffe placenta, maybe we could....hmm? No? Oh, it's no trouble at all, in fact I've got them right....hmm? Still no?
Your loss, man.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 10:50:36 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
The most surprising thing about this is the very notion that we are of any interest to anyone apart from ourselves.


Yeah this is...almost kind of creepy.

HEY YOU OUT THERE GET A LIFE.  WE'RE NOT EVEN REAL PEOPLE.

Pop-up ads would be a problem for me on my screwed-up work computer, but do what you must.  I would be happy to hit the tip jar though. (IF you've fixed it so you don't see my home address anymore.) What would each of us need to chip in and how often, do you think?  I'm sure yall would still be cheaper than real friends who I'd feel obligated to, like, ask over to dinner and all once in a while.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 01:12:01 pm »

Go ahead man. Do your worst. No I think it's fine.
And I really will find a way to put money in the jar! Gah.
I'll check that my uni fee's go out fine, and then i'ma write  a big note here saying give Jough money, since as second highest poster I am beginning to feel guilty!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 01:58:52 pm »

So many of us regulars use Fire* or at least the Googlebar so I don't think pops would be a problem.

And like V said, I've put up with worse for less respectable sites. Like on 1st visit of the day you get a "you'll be forwarded to your page in 10 seconds" splash ads.

Edit: holy crap, slink is -=Ray=-
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 03:01:10 pm »

I put up with Salon's click-through stuff, so why would pop-under ads trouble me here?

What's the going rate to get a custom title, again?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 03:05:50 pm »

Knock yourself out, big boy.  I'll also try to send some money your way in a week or so.  Gettin' over a case of the post-Christmas shorts at the moment.

Can you give us an idea of how big the hit is?  Are we talking six figures here, or three fitty?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 03:29:30 pm »

Go ahead, Jough - whatever you need to do is cool.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 05:14:37 pm »

* I think the going rate for custom titles was $20 for life.

* The only reason I bring up supporting the site through advertising again is because it's not the regular posters who are a bandwidth problem (although, of course, those who refresh sixty times a day - *ahem* - will naturally be more of a burden than those who don't) but all of these random people who come in, drink all of the good Scotch, and don't even bring as much as a cheap-ass six pack or a bag of chips to the party.  They're certainly not going to donate so with a single pop-under/banner per session I could have them pay the gate de facto just by showing up.  I'll have to figure out something.

* While I appreciate the help from the regulars, our happy little family, it's unfair to burden only a few people with the rent while everyone else smokes up and falls asleep in the rompus room with the big screen tv on all night.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 05:54:29 pm »

So post a click-through banner ad page for those not logged in, and hell, I wouldn't mind a banner where you've got the text ads now. Why not go with the Google text ads instead of what you've got going on, at least some of the time?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 06:04:04 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
* I think the going rate for custom titles was $20 for life.

* The only reason I bring up supporting the site through advertising again is because it's not the regular posters who are a bandwidth problem (although, of course, those who refresh sixty times a day - *ahem* - will naturally be more of a burden than those who don't)


I've considered getting a custom title but I can't think of a good one. Plus at least a couple of us have to keep chugging away at the standard one.

And hey, it's been a slow couple of weeks at work.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
You Bitches Are Expensive
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 06:32:00 pm »

Annoyance of ads << annoyance of seeing this forum go *poof*

Do what ya gotta do.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up