Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Passion of Christ  (Read 4799 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Passion of Christ
« on: February 29, 2004, 01:27:04 am »

I saw it today.  I went with my parents church group which made it pretty surreal.  I doubt that many of them really enjoyed it, but felt obligated towards it because it is done with a high degree of reverence toward the subject matter.  I can't say it's really a bad movie, but the story has been told so many times there's really no way to add any original insight.  About the only thing I can say about it is it's one of the most gruesome pictures i've seen.  This is the second Mel Gibson movie in a row (the first was We Were Soldiers) that made me turn away from the screen.  We were Soldiers had napalm burned flesh and this one has a very graphic beating with a cat-o-nine tails.  I hate to consider what Gibson has in store for us next.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 03:49:24 am »

I was going to start a thread on this if there hadn't already been one.  I just got home from it, having walked out.  I left before the violence started- Oddly, I wanted to make a point of that so I wouldn't just look squeamish.  I just found it mind-blowingly offensive.  I'll follow this post up when I'm a little less angry.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 03:59:14 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I left before the violence started


You must have left during the previews then.  I mean a guy gets his ear cut off in the very first scene.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 06:37:46 am »

What a magnificent film!

Yes, it's violent, but then again, torturing a guy until he's near death and then driving nails into his forearms and hanging him from a cross-beam is pretty violent stuff.

The Catholic faith is built on gruesomeness.

Of course, these physical acts of violence are much less gruesome than sin.

I don't recall the soldiers who came to collect Christ beating the shit out of him from the Bible (maybe one of the books I haven't read?) because I was always under the impression that they didn't really give a shit about him.  Oh sure, they mocked him like he was an American Idol contestant singing off-key, but to be angry with him and want to torture him? Why?  He was just some Jewish guy who thought he was god (whether or not he actually was is beside the point).  So that didn't really make sense to me.

It's easy to walk the "Stations of the Cross" (christians in the house represent) and to hear the words "suffered and died for our sins" but it's another to actually see it.  The film is about the most visceral I've ever seen.  Very cringe-inducing, sure, but all you have to do is *watch* it - he had to suffer it.

Anyway, it's a ballsy and risky move on Gibson's part, and I think he proved once and for all he's a "real" director.  Just an amazing film.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 07:39:28 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
You must have left during the previews then.  I mean a guy gets his ear cut off in the very first scene.


Touché, and I'll rephrase:  I left before the Violence started, Serious Jesus Flogging style.  Ok, I saw a fair bit of that.  But you get the general idea.  I left about half an hour in because I got sick of sitting through scene after sketchy scene and feel like I was endorsing racism and homophobia just by being there: a lot of details that added up to me just feeling really uncomfortable and angry.  I'm not sure if I'm overreacting, because I do have a fairly attuned sense of Heterosexual White Guilt, but I felt a lot better after I left and just went cruising around listening to Blood on the Tracks instead.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 06:32:00 pm »

The other night, I found myself at St. Luke's psychiatric wing (hoooo! long story). But the best thing was, I was having some bizarre, religious-based stuff, and the first question three different people asked was, "Did you just see 'The Passion'?" I asked someone about it, and apparently all week people have been coming in having mental breakdowns due to that movie.
I haven't seen it, and doubt I will. I'm pretty sure how it ends :).
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 06:54:29 pm »

I've been telling kids to sneak into it (since it's rated R) because then they wouldn't have to read the book!

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 09:05:40 pm »

I should probably see this at some point, but honestly, I'm a little squeamish and a little agnostic. I'm not sure it'd be my bag.

Of course, now I want to see if the "14 Stations" installation that was up around here for a while is anywhere within easy transport distance. That had just the right amount of reverence and high weirdness to keep me going. (Papier-mache eyeless wolves, painted a bright tempora red, to represent the Cricifixion? Oh-kaay...)
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 09:26:37 pm »

I am truly too scared to see this.
I have no problem watching violent films, pretty much in general (Audition being a case in point) though certainly it being justified in some terms helps, but I do have very strong thoughts on religion (well, organised religions).
So, well, it depends if this film comes over as a film of the bible, as a book, or all preachy and bullshit-laden, which would anger me beyond belief.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 10:14:55 pm »

It's not preachy at ALL.  In fact, some people are annoyed that it's so matter-of-fact.

There is dialogue, but it's in Aramaic and Latin.  I've heard that the multiplexes are getting a subtitled version, but the dialogue isn't really important - I mean, it's all from the Bible, and you should be able to tell what is happening if you're at all familiar with the story.

I am the least religious person on the planet, but I found the film to be amazingly good.  And I know enough about the story to at least understand what the events onscreen signify to those who do believe in such things.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 11:43:37 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I've heard that the multiplexes are getting a subtitled version, but the dialogue isn't really important.


The version I saw was subtitled, but like you say Jough the dialogue isn't really important and there's not a whole lot of it anyway.  I guess if it were too wordy there would have been less time for Jesus flogging.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 12:41:57 am »

I saw a subtitled version at Local Cinema, but I made a game of looking away from the screen during the Latin dialogue to see what I could figure out.  Even at the worst of times, I can always fall back on being a language nerd.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 01:21:24 am »

Jesus Flogging = Most Blasphemous Euphemism for Masturbation EVAR!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
The Passion of Christ
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2004, 11:36:33 pm »

holy shit that is radical funny.

jesus (on cross): I can see my house from here!
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up