Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ray's Place (08-05-03)  (Read 8085 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Ray's Place (08-05-03)
« on: August 05, 2003, 01:58:58 pm »

Dang but Ray's Place is funny. Although I was a little disappointed that the best part of today's column was actually a letter. The twice divorced brother was hilarious.

"So you can see what my dilemma is: my brother is in desperate need of an ass-beating, but if I give him even half the beating he needs, I could cause permanent physical harm and possibly even face criminal charges."

Classic.

And I was going to be dreadfully dissapointed if Ray didn't mention the S&M/ass-beating connection but he came through for us all.

Column.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:04:05 am by Nabubrush »
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 02:14:53 pm »

Absolutely! Excellent RP today. Hella funny, and I don't usually say hella!
'Cold-buck 'wylin' just had me grinning!
Everything from the mass of humour, to the nostalgiac stories both sad and cool (abortion and 'shrooms respectively) just made it a great. Probably my fave RP so far (of the advice columns that is).

Though I'm offended by 'those junk majors'. My mom did Philosophy Masters and I'm doing Political Science out of actual interest! Sheesh!
Ray's response made me happy though!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Schabe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
    • http://www.automatictaxistop.com/schabe
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 03:01:14 pm »

Yeah, well, my Social Sciences degree isn't doing any more for me than my English degree.  Fuck YOU, liberal arts!  (heheh, just kidding. I don't know math anyway).

Anyway, yeah, this one was great, too.  In fact, I've really enjoyed all the Ray writings from start to finish.  Here is a not-so-confidential message to J with the bar: I will come over and help you decide what you need as long as you furnish me with some booze.  And maybe for my brother.  He goes to CU-Boulder and likes to drink (go figure!).  But I am the one with actual bar experience, so it would more be out of pity to invite him.  Okay, you probably don't even read this board, but just in case, i figured it couldn't hurt to try.

Also: The New Yorker uses umlauts for "reemphasize"?? how come?
Logged
"Wish I was as cool as Calvin / This sort of thing wouldn't bother me" - TMJ

Capn

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 03:21:54 pm »

He answered half of my question this week.  The probative one.
Logged

weeeeee

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 04:02:31 pm »

that entire thing about the led album covers was great. I actually laughed.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
umlaut
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 04:10:23 pm »

In English we use the diaeresis (not technically an umlaut) to indicate that a vowel gets separate pronunciation.

Ray’s finding his voice, he’s learning to work the joke better, instead of trying to actually answer questions. At first he probably planned to combine the humor with genuine answers, but now he’s realized the futility of taking any of it seriously. Over time we will laugh at the contrast between the legitimate questions and Ray’s glib answers.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

Schabe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
    • http://www.automatictaxistop.com/schabe
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 05:18:29 pm »

Since when did a simple "re-" (with dash) stop being enough?  Have I been living a lie?
Logged
"Wish I was as cool as Calvin / This sort of thing wouldn't bother me" - TMJ

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 05:22:16 pm »

*puts on Muppets- Rainbow Connection*

Knew there was a reason other Ray gave me a copy of that.
:shock: hang on - cutting wit, listens to rainbow connection too much... My Ray is Ray Ray!

And oh...
Quote from: "Schabe"
Since when did a simple "re-" (with dash) stop being enough? Have I been living a lie?


Since pedantry in the media became as scary as my own!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 05:40:54 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "Schabe"
Since when did a simple "re-" (with dash) stop being enough? Have I been living a lie?


I refuse to be credited with a Schabe missive.  I'm not worthy.


ooops, sorry 'bout that! Now your post doesn't even make sense! Mwahahaha.
*chokes on the maniacal power laughter*
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

The Wonderous Me

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Yay!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 06:44:12 pm »

Yay! A muppets reference!! The nostalgia I was seeking has poked it's head in, even if Onstad hates me.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 06:46:25 pm »

The way Ray keeps learning new things about the internet (like his lesson about people sending in pictures) and the little scenes he tosses into his answers (Ray vs. Lyle pissing contest, the snail bit) are like the icing on a cake of funny.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

The Wonderous Me

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 06:53:12 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
The way Ray keeps learning new things about the internet (like his lesson about people sending in pictures) and the little scenes he tosses into his answers (Ray vs. Lyle pissing contest, the snail bit) are like the icing on a cake of funny.

God I hope it's not a bundt cake of funny.. a Carrot cake of funny would be.. well, funny.. Oh, yeah, also hope it's not a bukkake :shock:
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 07:06:13 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
The way Ray keeps learning new things about the internet (like his lesson about people sending in pictures) and the little scenes he tosses into his answers (Ray vs. Lyle pissing contest, the snail bit) are like the icing on a cake of funny.


I did love Ray avoiding a hernia. And the photos:"Send me a wedding photo or just some stuff of you swimming or whatever." was excellent... for some reason... just the flow of the line, the innocence straight into the blasse seediness.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 07:43:37 pm »

Quote from: "satchel"
Ray’s finding his voice, he’s learning to work the joke better, instead of trying to actually answer questions. At first he probably planned to combine the humor with genuine answers, but now he’s realized the futility of taking any of it seriously. Over time we will laugh at the contrast between the legitimate questions and Ray’s glib answers.


Agreed. I really think it's a good way of harnessing Ray's increasing annoyance with the letters. Start with the good, actual questions then progress through the column with the lame, more annoying, "have some dignity" questions, as well as ones that just lend themselves to funny answers.

Also, the pissing contest was a great bit.
Logged

yahnai

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
RP 8/5/03
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2003, 08:14:34 pm »

Man.  I love the comic, and Ray's Place is hands-down hilarious.  I hope this "variety hour" nonsense is also good.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up