Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march  (Read 7282 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2004, 02:08:10 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "wombat"
OK but can Asherdan PLEASE put that thing back in his sig so that this thread makes a TINY bit of sense?


I'm a big sap for 'please'.


Wow, I just sent that sucker sailing 880 feet.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2004, 02:40:08 am »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Quote from: "andalucia"
I was a Polish man I'd not heard of, but the description was ok.


By any chance, were you Stanislaw Lem?


That's the one.  I'm not by any means hip to the sci-fi scene, but I'm going to have to look out for this fellow, seeing as he is I and all.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2004, 02:59:40 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"

That's the one.  I'm not by any means hip to the sci-fi scene, but I'm going to have to look out for this fellow, seeing as he is I and all.


Lem is well worth checking out. I can't remember the book I loved by him, but he can be very good.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2004, 03:33:22 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
WHO?


James Tiptree, Jr. is well worth checking out.  He was really a she, and produced mostly in the 70's.  She specialized in short stories, many of which had sexual themes.  One that comes immediately to mind is Houston, Houston Do You Read  which involved some astronauts discovering a lost colony where males had long since become extinct.  Good stuff.

Here's some info.  Also here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2004, 04:19:50 am »

Thanks, August. I can get in bed with anybody who gives Nicola Griffith an award (1993). I love Griffith's work. The Blue Place had me at the opening line: "The sidewalks in Inman Park are made of hexagons, many of which are broken and crooked and slippery." Or something. I know Inman Park very well; it's a neighborhood I used to work in and still hang out in. Then her story turned out to be fantastic - I was hooked almost as fast as I was on Terry Pratchett and Discworld.


heh-heh. Get in bed.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2004, 04:48:38 am »

i am h.g. wells, apparently for no reason at all
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2004, 04:52:45 am »

"Lord please have mercy on this one man's soul."  That is definitely the voice of a paranoid schitzophrenic.  Poor poor Beef, his mind is a terrible mess.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2004, 06:40:13 am »

I love what I've read of James Tiptree Jr. / Alice Sheldon.  And whaddaya know, my two favorite stories of hers are available online: The Screwfly Solution and The Last Flight of Dr. Ain.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2004, 07:29:11 am »

Ursula K. LeGuin.  :idea:
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

conure

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2004, 08:23:50 am »

Samuel Delaney! And I was reading the "Neveryon" series awhile back, and I dug it although some was bewildering, and sure as fuck not sci-fi!
Logged

pubdoggy

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 89
  • R. Smuckles publicity shot c. 2002
    • View Profile
    • Simon Whitehead Photography
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2004, 09:39:43 am »

back to the important stuff

I'm running photoshop on a dual 2 gig G5 and it loads in a blink. Why would you all rape photoshop by running it on a windows machine.

why would you do that?
Logged
Satori must be something just the same...

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2004, 11:29:08 am »

Quote from: "pubdoggy"
why would you do that?


Word.

**Lovingly strokes her 12" G4 laptop**
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2004, 05:29:03 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
I am Hal Clement it seems, but then I wasn't very honest in my answeres (because the right ones were not available).  Never heard of him...


Hal Clement wrote mostly "hard" sf, with both the good and bad aspects that subgenre implies; when he was on, you could believe that This Is What It Would Be Like to talk to someone from a race that had evolved on a massive-gravity planet or whatnot, and when he was off you kind of got the impression that he was more interested in the physics and biology of what was going on than the characters in his story (or, at least, these are the feelings I got.) "Iceworld" and "Mission Of Gravity" are standard Hal Clement Recommended Reading. I met him at a couple of conventions, and he was pretty cool to talk to and gave excellent presentations on designing biologically viable alien races and habitable planets. Sadly, he died this past November.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2004, 06:29:01 pm »

Quote from: "pubdoggy"

why would you do that?


Because nasty as windows is, it's not MacOS!
Nothing I need runs in MacOS (9 or X). And I still don't much like it anyway.
At least 2k is nice and utilitarian.
When I do use Macs, I pray it's OSX, but even so.
Unfortunately all the macs I use are a little out of date (G4 and all).

And, to go along with Jough's stating of things, my um-friend was Ursula LeGuin too. She had no idea who she was, not being a sci-fi/fantasy fan and all.
Dear me.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
please lord have mercy on this one man's soul - 04 march
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2004, 11:36:26 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
I love what I've read of James Tiptree Jr. / Alice Sheldon.  And whaddaya know, my two favorite stories of hers are available online: The Screwfly Solution and The Last Flight of Dr. Ain.

All I have to say about this is that, having read these in the morning of what went on to be a crappy day (albeit not as monumentally crappy as anything written there), I feel vaguely ill at the thought of reading any more Tiptree. Also I want to go read something with a happy ending.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up