Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04  (Read 10052 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2004, 07:43:07 pm »

You're a very sick man, Paul.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2004, 08:12:11 pm »

August, you've had glasses since you were 3?  That's hardcore, bro.

I've had mine since I was seven, and when I was trying on the frames in the store I totally freaked out because I figured I'd look like a geek.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2004, 08:20:29 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I've had mine (glasses) since I was seven, and when I was trying on the frames in the store I totally freaked out because I figured I'd look like a geek.


It's true.  Hey I found a recent picture of Jough.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2004, 08:34:14 pm »

Even more recent:

V-Adore

  • Guest
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2004, 09:27:22 pm »

I've fallen asleep with glasses on in entirely non-alcoholic contexts -- mostly because, as mentioned, reading in bed is hard without them when you're hardcore astigmatic/myopic, as I am.

(Been in 'em since 4, personally. And, having seen pictures, I did look like a total dork.)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2004, 09:37:42 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
August, you've had glasses since you were 3?  That's hardcore, bro.



It's true.  My Dad's cousin is married to an opthalomolgist (sp?).  They were at our has one day and noticed a portrait of me.  He diagnosed me with a weak eye muscle from the portrait.

I put 'em on when I get out of the shower in the morning and take 'em off just before I fall asleep (usually).  They're part of my head.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2004, 09:46:44 pm »

I started to need 'em when I was about 4, but my parents didn't believe me. I'd always wanted glasses (everyone in my family has them), so my folks thought I was just being sneaky. Then, when we got our eyes checked in 1st grade, my eyes were so bad the eye doctor all but accused my mom of neglect.

And oh *man* did I look like a dork. It was about 1986, so I was a tiny, tiny girl with huge-ass glasses. I looked like a 5 year old version of Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2004, 09:47:05 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I put 'em on when I get out of the shower in the morning and take 'em off just before I fall asleep (usually).  They're part of my head.


So you don't wear glasses between the bed and the shower? That would be quite difficult for me. Plus how would I read on the toilet?

I at least got to take them off while wrestling. My friend had to keep his contacts in or he couldn't see the other guy a whole .25" from his face.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2004, 09:58:06 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
So you don't wear glasses between the bed and the shower? That would be quite difficult for me. Plus how would I read on the toilet?


I read this post without glasses, but I wouldn't have to lean in and/or squint so much if I had 'em on.

~Paul<---In Glasses since age 35
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2004, 02:12:57 am »

I don't think I could deal with contacts, either, especially given that I have basically no memories or self-image constructed from before I wore glasses. I doubt I would recognize myself.

Besides, putting a little piece of plastic directly on my eye = bad for no-fine-motor-skills V.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2004, 02:36:52 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Plus how would I read on the toilet?



It's odd.  As I age it's becoming easier for me to read without my glasses.  First step towards -- <GASP> -- bifocals.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2004, 02:40:17 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I don't think I could deal with contacts, either, especially given that I have basically no memories or self-image constructed from before I wore glasses. I doubt I would recognize myself.

Besides, putting a little piece of plastic directly on my eye = bad for no-fine-motor-skills V.


I tried contacts for about 6 months 20 years ago.  Way too high-maintenance for slobby me.  Also, the whole poking myself in the eye thing was an issue.

The glasses are a part of my self image.  I could afford to have the LASIK (or whatever acronym we've reached now) because I've got a reserve account from work that would pay for it.  But I just don't want to.  I wouldn't feel quite like myself.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2004, 03:37:05 am »

I'm too squeemish for surgery. I could only even consider it if I was completely out. But you have to be all away and staring up while they cut your eye. That is so wrong.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2004, 04:44:11 am »

W00t!  

I got glasses when I was 8, contacts at 14.  I still wear my contacts for special things -- big fancy dates and such -- but I wear my glasses for everyday.  First, I see better in them -- astigmatism, you know -- and second, like August, they're a part of my personality.  When I wear my contacts, it's because I'm playing a role.  My glasses are kind of my shield from the outside world -- I like my new frames because they're heavier and easier to hide behind.  Pedro wants me to get refractive surgery, but I'm hesitant because, basically, I fear change.  Not having to put on my glasses in order to make it from the bed to the bathroom would be a major lifestyle change.  My 20/20 husband with perfectly straight teeth just doesn't get it.  

He is, however, red/green colorblind.  I asked him once if he'd have surgery if it could give him the ability to see color like everyone else.  He said that he absolutely would.  I don't get that.  I mean, in the springtime, when the grass is greenest, he says it looks like the ground is on fire.  What could be cooler than that?  

Oh, yeah.  Not being a mutant.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe 3/5/04
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2004, 04:54:24 am »

I've never worn contacts, and am far beyond being able to now.

I put my glasses on my desk (it's low and within arm's reach of my bed) when I go to sleep, and pick them up and put them on before I even leave the bed.

I take them off pretty much only to sleep and shower.  They're pretty much always dirty, even five minutes after I've just cleaned them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up