When I was a kid, I had a best friend named Carl who had a really bitchin' sandbox. Man, I'd be over there every damn day after school to build stuff, play with those little plastic army guys, etc. One day Carl makes friends with this other kid and when I went over one afternoon, he wouldn't let me play in his sandbox anymore. He never said anything to me beforehand, just one day "You can't play here anymore." Well, I was terribly hurt, JL. I mean, it's true I only hung out with him because he had a sandbox, but it was a REALLY nice sandbox.
Now it's 24 years later, and I've run into him (he started a podiatrist's office up the street from where we grew up) and I haven't spoken to him in years. All I can think of when I look at him is "You kicked me out of your sandbox, motherFUCKER."
JL, what do you say to someone who's done you dirty after all of those years?
-- Line in the Sand
I think you say something along the lines of, “Hey, Carl, remember me? The kid you kicked out of your sandbox a quarter of a century ago? Yeah, that was a riot. The funny part is, I only hung out with you because of that very sandbox. I know! Hilarious!”
I mean, read your letter. This shit is funny. I’m not saying you have to be best friends with him now or anything, but come on, you guys were, like, maybe five? Also, by ‘fessing up that you were as big a rat as he was – using some poor kid to get to his sandbox is pretty low – you kind of get to take a swipe at what a little loser he was that he had to buy off his friends with a sandbox. And as they say, revenge is best served cold.
And with milk.