Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION  (Read 7514 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« on: March 12, 2004, 05:56:00 am »

What comics is everyone reading?
Also, I love the words "double deuce."
I'm reading:
Venom
Optic Nerve
Marvel Knights: Daredevil
MK: Captain America (the latest issue has FIDEL CASTRO in it, MAN)
MK: Fantastic Four
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Eightball
Midnight Mass
Criminal Macabre/Any of the Niles/Templesmith stuff
B.P.R.D.
Hellboy: Weird Tales
X-Static
1602
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Savage Dragon
Invincible
Oh, and online, check out Platinum Grit.
I'm sure I forgot some stuff. Oh, the Batman "Arkham Asylum" trade is delicious.
WHAT REALLY GOOD STUFF AM I MISSING?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 06:04:16 am »

Mr. Natural.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 06:12:29 am »

Comics have gotten entirely too expensive and inconvenient to follow these days (I remember when subscriptions to Captain America and Solo Avengers were enough to keep me feeling abreast and Hot Stuff and satisfied), but I thought I'd Use This Space to recommend the Acme Novelty Library to the like two people who read this board that haven't heard of it. It is one of those rare comics that is Actually worth the Price printed on the Cover.

Oh, also, just satisfying the Obscuro Hour Requirement: the Grant Morrison run on Animal Man. And any Judge Dredd weekly strips published between like 1989 and 1995. FYI.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 10:49:53 am »

I feel the need to expand the recommendation of the Grant Morrison Animal Man run to the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol run as well. And I don't really recommend either for people who take poorly to seeing fits of authorial lunacy occasionally overtake and overwhelm the storytelling.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 01:28:16 pm »

I need to read more comics; it's mostly been American Splendor lately.

Grant Morrison has enough recommendations that I feel safe in searching some stuff out, but I'm still wavering on Cerebus. I keep hearing the same thing about it -- "very very good unless you consider that the writer has been going explosively insane for about the last half of its run" -- which makes me intrigued but ambivalent. (Intrigued in that "so, wait, if it's good enough to cancel that explosive insanity?" way and ambivalent in a "I'm not sure giving Dave Sim money is a good idea" way.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 02:07:02 pm »

I gave up during the whole Collector's Bubble phase and "Maximum Carnage" et al.

The only ones I've bought recently are Liberty Meadows, The Tick, and Ghost in the Shell 2.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 03:53:51 pm »

Oh....so....so it's just me....
*weeps*
Yeah, I really don't know how I feel about Cerebus. However, every time I go to the store and see like 15 900-page Cerebus trade paperbacks lined up, the part of me that wants to read it dies a little. THE DUDE HAS NO MERCY. I've already got to read the other 9 or so Savage Dragon trades, just to catch up.
I can't believe I forgot about Acme Novelty Library. Also, Dre.
It's really sad, actually; at this point, I'm filled with apathy towards actual, you know, literature. I was just at a book store and had no idea what I wanted to read, which, for me, is a really bizarre feeling. However, right now I am all about the comic books. I am a sick, sick man.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 04:06:58 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"

Yeah, I really don't know how I feel about Cerebus. However, every time I go to the store and see like 15 900-page Cerebus trade paperbacks lined up, the part of me that wants to read it dies a little. THE DUDE HAS NO MERCY.

Daaaaamn. This may be a little expensive.

Is Cerebus still a pure indie book? (Oddly, this will probably influence my decision -- I find myself more likely to buy it if it's not, strangely enough. I definitely don't want the percentage of my purchasing cost that goes to Sim to be greater than the percentage of the comic which is entertaining and not Dave Sim ranting about how I am both an evil world-conquering conspirator and also clearly an inferior, irrational being.)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 05:37:37 pm »

::stands::

Hi, my name is CortJstr and I've never read Hellboy.

::sits, hiding face::
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 07:22:40 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Hi, my name is CortJstr and I've never read Hellboy.


WELL YOU BETTER GET STARTED IS ALL I CAN SAY.
Seriously, I think that you probably won't be allowed in comic book stores come April if you haven't seen the movie.  Which looks alternatively awesome and godawful, depending on how I feel when I watch the trailer. I mean, Ron Pearlman, yes, David Hyde Pierce, yes (he was in Wet Hot, man!), Hellboy, yes, Del Toro....ehhhh. The only thing I saw by him was Blade 2, and , although I hear his indie stuff is amazing, Blade 2 was like Blade 1 with extra Kristofferson and less Dorff, which I was not a fan of.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 09:06:49 pm »

I just reread Maus 1, but other than that, most of my comic-related energy goes into feeding my Dan Clowes obcession.
Logged
goose means greedy

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 04:07:10 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Hi, my name is CortJstr and I've never read Hellboy.


Okay, the most awesome thing about Hellboy (old school fan, owns the t-shirt regrettably worn by pestilent-rollerblade hellspawn in the underrated Dogma) is that Mike Mignola does his damn research. Just about every Hellboy story I've read ties into some myth, fairytale, urban legend, or what-have-you. And it's not this sort of ostentatious "look at me, I'm well read" sort of reference, either; it's just sort of there, and the stories are good and solid Weird Mystery on their own, and the (ahem) Real World relation is just icing.

That and the damn shadows. What style.

Quote from: "Bozack"
Which looks alternatively awesome and godawful, depending on how I feel when I watch the trailer.


The trailers actually reassured me. Perlman as Hellboy looks and sounds really good, just for a start. Hopefully the people behind the movie realize that Hellboy needs to be both urbane and totally fuck*ng rocking. Don't listen to me, though; I allowed myself to thoroughly enjoy LXG and Hulk in spite of their source material.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 05:52:23 am »

Best Buy is offering a free dvd with some Hellboy behind the scenes stuff on it.

I pick up a couple of them every time I'm in BB just for the free keepcase.

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Re: so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITIO
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 11:53:02 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
WHAT REALLY GOOD STUFF AM I MISSING?


sex?

ok thats a joke, i'm into Dan Clowes and Adrian Tomine and that kind of stuff, what else in that vein is out there?
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
so...what ya'll reading?: DOUBLE DEUCE COMIC BOOK EDITION
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 02:45:58 am »

I really wish I could participate meaningfully in this thread.  Me and comics are a lot like me and music -- I haven't followed the scene closely since the late 80's/early 90's.

But I was a fan back in the day.  Had a roommate who was (and is, for that matter) a BIG fan of the DC universe.  He also had a huge thing for Olivia Newton-John (which is neither here nor there, but odd nonetheless).

I was surprised to see that Cerebrus is still around.  Never did read much of it -- probably only two or three issues.  Interesting.  Independant comics were just taking off around then.  Two of my favorites were The Badger (Norbert) and especially Grimjack.  Grimjack absolutely rocked.

I also think I have every issue of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up