Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurm?  (Read 25216 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Hurm?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2004, 03:57:31 am »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
I don't have the internet at home...


Luddite.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Hurm?
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2004, 04:41:39 am »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
I don't have the internet at home...

Yeah, I'm with Jough on that one. I read that as like, "I don't have running water at home..."
Broadband has made a total snob of me, man.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Hurm?
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2004, 07:01:26 pm »

Sadly, it is more a case of the Presidio being a total internet backwater despite being in San Francisco.

- Too far from a DSL relay
- Cable network not "digital-ready" quite yet
- Carrier pigeons too fat, lazy to carry packets
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hurm?
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2004, 07:23:33 pm »

What about dial-up?  I have dial-up despite living in the boonies.  It's fast enough for the boards and for regular Achewood perusal.

Just go on and admit it.  Your parents won't let you get a phone jack in the basement.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Hurm?
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2004, 07:26:46 pm »

Parents not letting FJ not have his own phone notwithstanding, I can see how no internet at all would be preferable to dial-up, especially if you're used to broadband.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hurm?
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2004, 08:02:48 pm »

I gotta say bullshit to that, man.  I'm totally T3'ed up at work and dialled up at home.  I know the difference, but there ain't noway nohow I'm giving up my home access.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Hurm?
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2004, 08:10:19 pm »

Damn straight. I get too much broadband to enjoy being on dialup, but no internet at all is the worst thing ever!
Just damn hurts.
Even when I was in the flat in Newcastle and we had our phone cut off, I ended up using AOL for their free month. The 0800 number meant I could call that since it was a free number.

First time I ever used AOL, and last I might add. And it hurt! But it was slightly less painful than no access.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Hurm?
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2004, 08:51:21 pm »

Here, jough is the one who is correct.  No internet at all is vastly preferable to dial-up, except when you're home for a solid week recovering from an appendectomy and need to get your messageboard on.  In this case, dial-up with images turned off is the closest one can get to attaining normality.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hurm?
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2004, 08:54:47 pm »

Damn!  Y'all are some impatient mofos.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Hurm?
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2004, 08:58:08 pm »

I don't think it's a matter of impatience as it is just frustration.

Although my cell phone's slow WAP connection doesn't seem to bother me at all.

Maybe it's because it's such a novelty, or else because the pages are only like, 2K apiece and designed for small phones.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Hurm?
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2004, 11:07:36 pm »

You mean like most of the internet should be anyway, jough?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Hurm?
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2004, 04:17:02 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
You mean like most of the internet should be anyway, jough?

Give me useless, massive images and random flash, or GIVE ME DEATH!
Actually, my greatest internet sin is here, with the Flash intro. I'm half-assedly doing the site for my brother, and he was insistent that we have a flash intro.
Also, right now I have it so it automatically forwards you to the next page after 20 secs. Is there a way for me to set it up so it starts counting down after the Flash loads, so that dial-up users don't see the first second of it? Or...am I dumb and the countdown starts from after the Flash loads anyway? I know this should go in the B-Room, but I thought it was more apt here, and I didn't want to start a thread that would have 2 posts in it.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Hurm?
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2004, 05:03:33 am »

Well, you've got a Skip Intro button, which is "excellent" (as the kids say, now-a-days).

The best place I've found for any kind of web tips, especially client-side, is codingforums.com, where I'm registered as, oddly enough, Choopernickel. Yes, I'm just that creative. That'll probably give you pointers on how to redirect 20 seconds after some event in the Flash movie. I only hang out in the Javascript fora, because those in the other fora don't tend to learn enough for me to put up with.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Hurm?
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2004, 07:30:54 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
I'm registered as, oddly enough, Choopernickel. Yes, I'm just that creative.


Hell, you're one up on me.  At least your "screen name" isn't your real-life first initial, middle initial, and last name.  

Or is it...Mr. C.H. Oopernickel!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Hurm?
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2004, 02:13:55 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
I'm registered as, oddly enough, Choopernickel. Yes, I'm just that creative.


Hell, you're one up on me.  At least your "screen name" isn't your real-life first initial, middle initial, and last name.  

Or is it...Mr. C.H. Oopernickel!


That is so Scrooge McDuck's life-long nemisis.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up