Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah  (Read 2577 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« on: March 22, 2004, 08:35:36 am »

I have never seen an apartment like this, but I think I know the type of person in question. Good strip. I'm a fan of the "heh."
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

V-Adore

  • Guest
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 09:15:29 am »

I now want to yell "POMMES ODER BROT?!" at people.

(Do the German actually use "Pommes" for fries? I don't remember my high-school German well enough to remember, except insofar as "pommes" is actually French.)

I like how, in the last three panels, Hr. Currywurst is looking around agitatedly.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 09:24:09 am »

This strip certainly made me giggle!
I'd probably get those looks like I'm a bit 'touched in the head' myself...
...I used to wear nature shirts, y'know... I bet I had an owl one

and yeah, I don't know any german, but I do believe pommes is French.. I took two years of that... hm
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

V-Adore

  • Guest
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 09:28:13 am »

Quote from: "starlight"

and yeah, I don't know any german, but I do believe pommes is French.. I took two years of that... hm

Well, I know "pommes" is French for "potatoes," which in German is "Kartoffeln." But I'm not sure if the Germans use "pommes" for fries, is all.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 09:49:00 am »

I thought it was a joke...french potatoes. But ye olde google suggests that Pommes-Frites is a common phrase in Germany.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 10:30:06 am »

Touched in the head.
fuck*ng excellent.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 10:37:18 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
But I'm not sure if the Germans use "pommes" for fries, is all.


Yea they do. I remember that from my days of sleeping through German class.

Literally, every lesson!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 01:04:12 pm »

Pommes = apples
Pommes de terre (apples of the ground) = potatos.


8 years wide awake in French class.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 02:38:04 pm »

I'm just wondering if we're going to meet Cousin Kev.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 02:56:50 pm »

"Pommes," jawohl.  In Mannheim I saw a shop called "Big Pom" that featured the largest pile of cooked fries that I've ever seen.  It was, like, four feet high.  And they were sellin' them like it was no joke.

In Berlin, there was a restaurant called "Kartoffelhaus No. 1," literally "Potato House #1."  Didn't actually eat there, but their menu was all potato dishes, all the time.

I prefer doner kebab to currywurst, danke sehr.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 05:59:31 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I like how, in the last three panels, Hr. Currywurst is looking around agitatedly.


He seems to be looking at who's talking. Maybe he's trying to figure out if Ray's ever going to come back and finish his order or just stand around yaking like a dumb American.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
3-22 A simple apartment with owl posters yeah
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2004, 06:58:27 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"

In Berlin, there was a restaurant called "Kartoffelhaus No. 1," literally "Potato House #1."  Didn't actually eat there, but their menu was all potato dishes, all the time.

Are you sure this wasn't some sort of bad Monty Python sketch? I'm reminded of their German special, particularly their "WILKOMMEN INS BAYERN, WO DIE BAUEME AUS HOLZ SIND"* sketch.

* Literally, "welcome to Bavaria, where the trees are made of wood."
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up