Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Poll

Will you miss the mole rat stories?

Hallelujah, no more skipping threads full of mammal nonsense
- 0 (0%)
Oh well, time to block Wombat's IP, she never had anything else interesting to post about
- 1 (5.3%)
I am overwhelmed by this rodent tragedy of capybara-like proportions
- 15 (78.9%)
What mole rat stories?
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: March 23, 2004, 12:09:14 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wombat needs huuuugs  (Read 9474 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Wombat needs huuuugs
« on: March 23, 2004, 12:09:14 pm »

It looks like Wombat is about to lose her wonderful interesting job at the zoo.  Will anyone still love me when I am no longer the keeper of the mole rats?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 01:17:01 pm »

Ack. Sorry to hear it, you seemed to really like that job.
Any idea what you will do instead or are you avoiding thinking about that?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 01:42:47 pm »

That really sucks.  But maybe something even better will come up.  Strange things like that happen sometimes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 02:43:41 pm »

Damn Lucy Spelman!  DAMN HER!  This is all her fault!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 03:17:11 pm »

It's not her fault, but hey, damn her anyway!  

People are looking around for another temp job for me so I can hang in there and keep trying for something permanent.  And I have some vague ideas for other animal related possibilities if that doesn't work out. But right at this very moment the future is a yawning chasm and life isn't fair and someone else is going to get my animals and I need the huuugs.

Career plan C was these murder mysteries I have been writing, but an author friend of mine just emailed me a horribly depressing story from salon.com about how no one can make it as a midlist author. Very badly timed email.  But maybe I just need to make the books more trashy...

On top of this I just got a whole pile of overdue notices from the library  at my old job, where I haven't yet bothered to do the overwhelming job of cleaning my office out (including the library books), and where they sat on these notices for a month before forwarding them. I don't think there's any way they can actually get the money from me, but it adds insult to injury.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 03:20:21 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Career plan C was these murder mysteries I have been writing, but an author friend of mine just emailed me a horribly depressing story from salon.com about how no one can make it as a midlist author. Very badly timed email.  But maybe I just need to make the books more trashy...

You can't go wrong making things more trashy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 03:59:48 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Career plan C was these murder mysteries I have been writing, but an author friend of mine just emailed me a horribly depressing story from salon.com about how no one can make it as a midlist author. Very badly timed email.  


I read, and was depressed by, that article too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 04:23:52 pm »

I'd be sadder if I were going to start missing pygmy marmoset stories but this is still hella bad news.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 04:46:57 pm »

I think the second choice only applies to me.

In any case, I am sad to hear of this, since it means that I won't get to get the inside tour of the small mammal house, or visit the steam tunnels with you.

Yes, a sad day indeed.

Well, with the job market the way it is, I'm sure you'll have no problems finding work.  Look at me, I've only been unemployed for 26 months now!

Oh wait, bad example...

Do you know when your last day is?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 05:49:08 pm »

I don't know my last day yet.  The boss promised me two weeks notice, but I could get it tomorrow, or it could be delayed by federal bureaucracy foot-dragging, I have no idea.  But there's definitely still time for you to see the steam tunnels - er, the small mammal house - if you can do it soon.

I went out and got a haircut. It is a haircut of a woman In Charge Of Her Life.  And I had dim sum for lunch and took some stuff home and have that warm takeout-Chinese-in-the-fridge feeling.   Just for right this second, I have everything under control...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 06:25:13 pm »

*weeps*

Oh, wombat.  I'm so sorry.  I know how much that job means to you.  But, being den mother and all, the only way I know to express my condolences is to offer you unsolicited advice.  

Read Stephen King's On Writing, [Cheap | Reliable] if you haven't already.  Better yet, get a copy of it on audiobook.  It will make you feel much, much better about the prospect of getting your work published.  At the very least, it will make you feel more in control of your destiny in that respect.  

Meanwhile, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they find you another temporary job at the zoo.  The bastards don't know what they're losing if they let you go.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 06:56:45 pm »

Yeah, really it's a comfort to know that the animals won't actually miss me like I will miss them.

Thank you jl.  Don't trip because you've got your toes crossed, especially with all that home-improvement equipment in your hands, you might get hurt.  I'll look at that Stephen King book - who could know more about commercial genre-writing success.  

In the meantime I inadvertantly got back at my writer friend by sending her a Washington Post article about how books about the Clintons are selling like hotcakes.  I meant to suggest that she ought to get her publisher to do some more publicity even though her book came out a while ago - but it just depressed her to read that everyone's book about the Clintons was more successful than hers.  Oh well, what are friends for.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 08:00:30 pm »

I hope you managed to sneak in fine print that stops them firing you and actually puts you in charge of the small mammals section for good.
That would kick ass.

But I guess, yea, do some more writing done and just, well, write how you want and someone will want to read it. That's the way I look at it.

And, in the meantime, have some time doing things you like to do when not covered in mammal shit. Good chance to I guess.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 10:44:17 pm »

This is because you gave a private tour to your hooligan friends isn't it?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Wombat needs huuuugs
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 12:07:58 am »

Many condolences, Wombat.

Hope you fill your pockets with mole rats on the way out.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up