Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Carlos' CD binge  (Read 4200 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Carlos' CD binge
« on: March 26, 2004, 03:05:49 pm »

Recent pickups:

R.E.M., In Time. I had said I wasn't going to get this; since I already own every R.E.M. album, why not just download the three or four new songs? But then I was looking at the band's web site and discovered there's a two-disc edition with B-sides and live versions and stuff. The completist in me won out. Good stuff, though no surprises.

Iron and Wine, Our Endless Numbered Days. I was interested to see how Sam Beam would respond to having to make music, rather than it being his hobby. He's handled it just fine, with a similar range of pretty, understated songs. A few of them have somewhat more complete instrumentation, and they're quite nice. He's also preoccupied with death.

Broken Social Scene, You Forgot It in People. Wish I had bought this a long time ago, as it rocks. "Cause = Time" is totally my favorite song right now; thanks to Starlight for putting it on her mix disc.

The Mars Volta, De-Loused in the Comatorium. I've only listened to this all the way through once, and it will take a few more listenings to totally sink in (particularly the story line, it's a concept album you know). Just like ATDI and at the same time way different, more complex. Indirectly reminiscent of Jethro Tull, Gabriel-era Genesis, that whole prog-rock thing.

The Postal Service, Give Up. It had been recommended on this very message board, and since it was only $10 I gave it a try (you hear that, music industry?  Price more CDs at $10 and I'll buy more of them!). Makes me feel like I'm 16 again, listening to Depeche Mode and New Order.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 04:28:37 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
it's a concept album you know


Indeed. I am one of these total, total music geeks who goes and reads shitlloads about a band, it's members and their histories if I get into them.
Kinda sad really, but I just totally grok it.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 03:28:50 am »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Recent pickups:

Iron and Wine, Our Endless Numbered Days. I was interested to see how Sam Beam would respond to having to make music, rather than it being his hobby. He's handled it just fine, with a similar range of pretty, understated songs. A few of them have somewhat more complete instrumentation, and they're quite nice. He's also preoccupied with death.

Broken Social Scene, You Forgot It in People. Wish I had bought this a long time ago, as it rocks. "Cause = Time" is totally my favorite song right now; thanks to Starlight for putting it on her mix disc.

The Postal Service, Give Up. It had been recommended on this very message board, and since it was only $10 I gave it a try (you hear that, music industry?  Price more CDs at $10 and I'll buy more of them!). Makes me feel like I'm 16 again, listening to Depeche Mode and New Order.


I got that Iron and Wine album yesterday... it's pretty good... I especially like the song 'swans and the swimming' on the 4 song b-sides disc.. currently still stuck in my head.  and yeah, I noticed the death theme... sheeesh.. still pretty...

Glad ya like the BSS :)
I hear they have a new b-sides album out, but I have yet to get it...

Postal Service.. I was thrilled about it when I got it last year, but sadly the joy only lasted a couple months... it's one of those crash and burn sort've albums... of course, not everyone agrees with me.. heh.  think it was the cheesy lyrics that made me wane myself off of it.  I still do enjoy the district sleeps alone, this place is a prison (this song didn't really seem to fit... it is my fav though.. hah) and that one song about building a colony (don't have the album in front of me).
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 04:04:15 am »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Recent pickups:

Iron and Wine, Our Endless Numbered Days. I was interested to see how Sam Beam would respond to having to make music, rather than it being his hobby. He's handled it just fine, with a similar range of pretty, understated songs. A few of them have somewhat more complete instrumentation, and they're quite nice. He's also preoccupied with death.


This band is playing near here next week.  I was thinking about checking them out.  

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Broken Social Scene, You Forgot It in People. Wish I had bought this a long time ago, as it rocks. "Cause = Time" is totally my favorite song right now; thanks to Starlight for putting it on her mix disc.


I'd like to second that "thanks to Starlight."  Sure Pitchfork's been raving on 'em, but I am never quite sure about the bands they heap praise on.  I would probably never have bought the album or seen their awesome performance were it not for Starlight.  I was totally blown away by Cause = Time as well, but now i've moved past first impressions to make Almost Crimes my new favorite cut.  It didn't hurt that it's totally their tour de force in concert.

See what I mean--


There's a lot of little things that you don't notice at first like the gate slamming at the beginning of Stars and Sons.  It really grows and grows on you.


Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The Mars Volta, De-Loused in the Comatorium. I've only listened to this all the way through once, and it will take a few more listenings to totally sink in


That's what I thought, but it never happened for me.  I've got a live EP that is pretty good though.  It's a lot looser than the studio album.


I think it's a bit extreme of you to call this piddling collection a binge.  It's more like a light snack.  

Here's my pick-up's for the past two weeks.

Best of Bowie- All of his most popular songs on two disc.  
Chris Knight: A Pretty Good Guy and The Jealous Kind- Texas Country and Western.  Given from a guy at work, it's not bad, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really into that scene.
Polyphonic Spree- Was very disapointed in this.  Was expecting some really great 60's style pop music.  There's a lot of potential there, but they missed the mark.  It looks like about a 30 piece group, but they have one missing part, the songwriter.  "Hey, it's the Sun, and it makes me shine."  WTF?
Lucinda Williams 11/20-22/03: The Fillmore San Fransisco-  Totally brilliant 3 night stand on 7 disc.
Broken Social Scene: Feel Great Lost- Their first album.  Atmospheric, spacey, almost no vocals.  Totally different from You Forgot it In People, but enjoyable to listen to.  Picked it up at the show.  
Pulp: Hits- Was looking for Different Class, but they didn't have it.  Settled for this, but it looks good.  I've never heard a bad Pulp song so how can it possibly suck.
Guns and Roses Greatest Hits- It was only 7 dollars so what the hell eh.
The Distillers: Sing Sing Death House- First Album from this group.  Pretty killer '70s style punk.
P*****- 11 tracks with 11 vocalist.  All backed by Dave Grohl playing most of the music.  Lemmy alone makes it worth the price of admission.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Re: Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 04:17:48 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

Best of Bowie- All of his most popular songs on two disc.  
...
Polyphonic Spree- Was very disapointed in this.  Was expecting some really great 60's style pop music.  There's a lot of potential there, but they missed the mark.  It looks like about a 30 piece group, but they have one missing part, the songwriter.  "Hey, it's the Sun, and it makes me shine."  WTF?


I must say- I am seeing these two on Friday.   I am very excited.  Although I agree that the Polyphonic Spree suck, when you are 15 rows away from Mr. Bowie, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Or so I assume.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 04:28:06 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I must say- I am seeing these two on Friday.   I am very excited.  Although I agree that the Polyphonic Spree suck, when you are 15 rows away from Mr. Bowie, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Or so I assume.


I'd say you are probably right.  That show is coming here next month, but i'm gonna pass.  I can't afford the up-front tickets ($200 ea.) and Houston audiences suck so hard at these big "classic rock" shows (especially out on the lawn).  I mean, why do people go to shows if they aren't interested in the music?  They seem to be there just to make jackasses out of themselves.  SHUT UP ASSHOLES!!!  

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 08:04:29 pm »

I was unaware of the existence of a two-disc set of "In Time." Is it worth picking up? I've been avoiding it thus far, because despite being a completionist, I still wasn't sure if it was necessary.

(Is the B-side stuff new, at least? I'm always willing to pay for live versions, but I'm more eager if it's new B-sides than if they're just packaging "Dead Letter Office" material again, as much as I love "Voice of Harold.")
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Re: Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 08:28:34 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'd say you are probably right.  That show is coming here next month, but i'm gonna pass.  I can't afford the up-front tickets ($200 ea.)


Wow- the best tickets to his Ottawa show were 100 of our dollars.  Same for Bob Dylan at the same venue a while ago, though those were Hella Not Worth It.  From what I've observed of Mr. Bowie, however, he seems to have kept his wits about him to a much greater extent than Bob.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 08:30:47 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I was unaware of the existence of a two-disc set of "In Time." Is it worth picking up? I've been avoiding it thus far, because despite being a completionist, I still wasn't sure if it was necessary.

(Is the B-side stuff new, at least? I'm always willing to pay for live versions, but I'm more eager if it's new B-sides than if they're just packaging "Dead Letter Office" material again, as much as I love "Voice of Harold.")


It's not b-sides, it's more of an odds and sods collection.  For completist only.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 08:34:13 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

It's not b-sides, it's more of an odds and sods collection.  For completist only.

~Paul

I repeat: I liked "Voice of Harold." Odds and ends are no deterrent.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 08:39:45 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'd say you are probably right.  That show is coming here next month, but i'm gonna pass.  I can't afford the up-front tickets ($200 ea.)


Wow- the best tickets to his Ottawa show were 100 of our dollars.  Same for Bob Dylan at the same venue a while ago, though those were Hella Not Worth It.  From what I've observed of Mr. Bowie, however, he seems to have kept his wits about him to a much greater extent than Bob.


Well I don't know the actual price, that's just a typical price for this kind of show.  The face value is probably something like 80-100, but you can't get them because the legal scalpers have first dibs.  They jack the price up about double.  If it's a really hot show triple, or even quadruple.  Bowie doesn't tour that often and his fans are pretty rabid so I figure probably $200.

Don't start ragin' on Dylan, I don't like that.  Besides I saw him last year and he was sensational so there.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2004, 08:40:41 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "pmcd9"

It's not b-sides, it's more of an odds and sods collection.  For completist only.

~Paul

I repeat: I liked "Voice of Harold." Odds and ends are no deterrent.


Well I guess they put it out just for you.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2004, 09:56:22 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Wow- the best tickets to his Ottawa show were 100 of our dollars.  Same for Bob ... to a much greater extent than Bob.


Ha, I read that and automatically thought of the trailer for the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra: "Aliens? Us? Is this one of your Earth 'jokes'?"
And Bob Dylan: last night, a few of my friends and I were hanging out, and we got to talking about the Bob Dylan concert they saw last year. Imagine three guys walking down a busy street late at night singing, "SILVIO! SILVA' AN' GOULD!" in the Dylan voice. Heady times, my friends. Heady times.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2004, 04:09:39 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
and we got to talking about the Bob Dylan concert they saw last year. Imagine three guys walking down a busy street late at night singing, "SILVIO! SILVA' AN' GOULD!" in the Dylan voice. Heady times, my friends. Heady times.


The one in Jillian's parking lot?  I was there.

I especially liked the fact that he closed with Forever Young in Muhammad Ali's hometown.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Carlos' CD binge
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004, 11:22:07 pm »

In Time disc 2.  You be the judge.  I'm a big-time completist, so it was worth it for me.  Good to have "Fretless" on CD, but the alternate version of "Leave" sucks compared to the original.

1.  Pop Song 89 (Acoustic)
2.  Turn You Inside-Out (live)
3.  Fretless
4.  Chance (dub)
5.  It's a Free World Baby
6.  Drive (live)
7.  Star Me Kitten (William S. Burroughs vocal)
8.  Revolution
9.  Leave (alternate version)
10. Why Not Smile (alt. version)
11. The Lifting (demo)
12. Beat a Drum (demo)
13. 2JN
14. The One I Love (live)
15. Country Feedback (live)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up