Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's up with John Mayer?  (Read 5296 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« on: March 30, 2004, 05:34:44 am »

One Dave Mathews is too many.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 05:39:10 am »

Well that was weird, Dave Letterman said "Man that John Mayer is Fantastic" and the closed caption said "Man that John Mayer is pathetic."

Hmm...

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 06:29:51 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
One Dave Mathews is too many.


THANK YOU!

About a year ago, when the infomercial for Mayer's album was playing on late night tv, I said to my SO of the time "I liked him better when he was called Dave Matthews."  I've since used that line numerous times, always to people who say "I don't see it."

Finally, vindication.

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 07:31:52 am »

I will confess that I enjoy John Mayer, albeit not in a particularly intellectual sort of way. "No Such Thing" is a fine single; Room For Squares is an uneven album, and nothing else on it is quite as good as "No Such Thing," but what the hey, I enjoy it.

I don't think of him as particularly Dave Matthews-esque, but whatever floats your boats.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 03:03:59 pm »

I'd never heard of him before Chapelle's Show and I was quite un-impressed.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 03:59:08 pm »

Is this the guy who has that song called like Your Body is a Playground or something? A friend of mine has this CD, if I'm remembering right, and I remember reading the track listing off the back of the case and thinking it was really cheesy make-out R&B.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 08:32:10 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Is this the guy who has that song called like Your Body is a Playground or something? A friend of mine has this CD, if I'm remembering right, and I remember reading the track listing off the back of the case and thinking it was really cheesy make-out R&B.

"Your Body is a Wonderland," yeah. And it is faintly cheesy make-out rock, but in a way I find slightly endearing -- the whole "guy who knows just how good he's got it and is grateful if slightly confused" genre.

(Of course, a friend of mine is convinced "Your Body Is a Wonderland" is a stalker song. I don't entirely know why.)
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 12:04:30 am »

John Mayer's been spending a lot of time lately bringing Buddy Guy along with him for public performances.  If that means a few extra copies of Hoodoo Man Blues or Sweet Tea are purchased for those late-night sessions around a gravity bong full of Red Zinger, Mayer is forgiven.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 01:17:39 am »

That really does change everything.

Mayer = ok!
Logged
goose means greedy

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 02:14:33 am »

It's easy for me to forgive him because he has no impact on my musical life whatsoevah.  If he were inescapable, like, I don't know, whoever's inescapable these days - Evanescence? - then he'd need to bring R.L. Burnside along too.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 02:15:34 am »

Man you totally played the Buddy Guy card.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 02:41:09 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
It's easy for me to forgive him because he has no impact on my musical life whatsoevah.  If he were inescapable, like, I don't know, whoever's inescapable these days - Evanescence? - then he'd need to bring R.L. Burnside along too.


Did Evanescence have more than one song? You must be thinking of Linkin Park.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 02:49:26 am »

Clay Aiken is now a superstar, I shit you not.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 08:49:13 pm »

It terrifies me that real people care significantly about the "musical career" of Clay Aiken.

Evanescence I would like more were they not so obsessively overplayed, yeah. And were the entire world not convinced they were "metal" or "hard rock" when they appear to actually be "typical female-vocalist whinepop, except with guitars."
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 04:40:46 am »

what about "Five for Fighting" -a one man band that also sounds just like Dave Mathews too.  Also: Hi all, I miss you.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up