Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's up with John Mayer?  (Read 5311 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 08:26:29 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
what about "Five for Fighting" -a one man band that also sounds just like Dave Mathews too.  Also: Hi all, I miss you.


*steps back*
Howdy. I have conference to tell you about now you're back! I say leaving for another one.
I'd have stuff from the last one but unfortunately there wasn't much they were giving out. I may be able to get some of the stuff particularly from (finds the programme) Christine Welsh, like more than the abstract I have here. But I'll whitter about that somewhere else.


Anyway, to what I was saying, which was to avoid Evanescence, which is highly wise - just don't turn on the TV!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 09:32:31 pm »

Isn't Five For Fighting the band who did that slow, schmaltzy song about Superman basically being angry that he was born?

If so, they can entirely go to die. My crappy pop radio was ruined for a sizable period of time by that song.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2004, 09:55:37 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Isn't Five For Fighting the band who did that slow, schmaltzy song about Superman basically being angry that he was born?

If so, they can entirely go to die. My crappy pop radio was ruined for a sizable period of time by that song.


Yes, that is "Five for Fighting," but as I mentioned, "Five for Fighting" is only one guy.  How pretentious to give yourself a name like you're band, but you're not, your only one sucky guy.  With a name like "Five for Fighting," perhaps he's hoping to get beat up less?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 09:56:54 pm »

"Five For Fighting" is one dude? Ridiculous.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 10:22:44 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
"Five For Fighting" is one dude? Ridiculous.


http://bandaid502.tripod.com/iamstillstuckonbandaids/id6.html

I've never seen what the actual guy looks like 'til now, so now I'm even more annoyed.  

Also annoying, John Mayer lyric from Your Body is a Wonderland: " your candy lips, and bubble gum tongue."  Bubble gum tongue?!  Go to hell!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2004, 10:39:24 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Isn't Five For Fighting the band who did that slow, schmaltzy song about Superman basically being angry that he was born?

If so, they can entirely go to die. My crappy pop radio was ruined for a sizable period of time by that song.


Yes, that is "Five for Fighting," but as I mentioned, "Five for Fighting" is only one guy.  How pretentious to give yourself a name like you're band, but you're not, your only one sucky guy.  With a name like "Five for Fighting," perhaps he's hoping to get beat up less?


I read that the name Five For Fighting was refering to the fingers that clinch to make a fist.  I don't know if this helps their cause in this discussion or makes matters worse.  Anywho, they appeared at the Concert for New York 9-11 benefit and I remember there being were two of 'em there.  Regarless of all that, musically speaking I think the technical term that best describes their sound is -it sucks-.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2004, 09:02:15 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I read that the name Five For Fighting was refering to the fingers that clinch to make a fist.  I don't know if this helps their cause in this discussion or makes matters worse.


Worse, as it raises the problem of the thumb.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2004, 11:46:46 pm »

Yes, as any first-grader knows, there are only four fingers; the thumb is... well, a thumb. Duh.

Anyway, I don't particularly care whether FfF* is one guy or two. All I know is that any band with "Five" in the name should either be Ben Folds Five, god bless their souls, or actually consist of five members.

* optimally to be pronounced "fff"
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2004, 01:00:40 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I read that the name Five For Fighting was refering to the fingers that clinch to make a fist.  I don't know if this helps their cause in this discussion or makes matters worse.


Worse, as it raises the problem of the thumb.


How about if we say "digits" instead of "fingers"?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2004, 01:02:03 am »

Back in my radio listening days there was a boy-band called 5ive (or something to that extent) that always tricked me up: Five-ive?
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2004, 01:03:17 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Back in my radio listening days there was a boy-band called 5ive (or something to that extent) that always tricked me up: Five-ive?


That reminds me of people who insist on writing that movie title as "Se7en"
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2004, 01:15:51 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
All I know is that any band with "Five" in the name should either be Ben Folds Five, god bless their souls, or actually consist of five members.


No allowance for Jurassic 5?  Also, this topic has forced me to find out if there were indeed the correct numbers of folks in MC5 and/or the Dave Clark 5.  Damn conventionalists.

Additionally, I have never heard of this John Mayer person, and I am quite glad.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2004, 01:56:37 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
That reminds me of people who insist on writing that movie title as "Se7en"


I always always scan that as Sezen.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2004, 02:53:02 am »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"

No allowance for Jurassic 5?

Not familiar with them. However, if they are awesome (and plural on some level), I'll grant them dispensation.

I have never been able to stomach "Se7en" as a writing. The movie itself sort of makes me want to hurt things, but that spelling more so.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's up with John Mayer?
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2004, 04:25:12 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Back in my radio listening days there was a boy-band called 5ive (or something to that extent) that always tricked me up: Five-ive?


OMG, I thought I was the only one that pronounced it five-ive.  Not that I actually discussed this group with anyone ever, but I imagined I would be greeted by blank stares if I were to try to explain logically to a 10 year old girl (who else would I be talking boy bands with?) that 5ive should be pronounced five-ive.  I mean really, the ive is totally superfulous.  How can you listen to that crap anyway.  Oh come on, stop crying.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up