Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Old but good expressions  (Read 20715 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2004, 05:47:53 pm »

I described my corpulence recently as such: "I'm developing a serious case of Dunlop." Those past a certain milestone in chronology knew to what I alluded; others my own age looked confused and frightened, not unlike Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. I was asked, bluntly, "What the hell's dunlop?"

"Of course," I said, "it's when your belly dun lop over your belt."

Who hasn't heard this reference? Jiminy!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2004, 08:55:57 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
When I'm done half-assing a job, I often say "Close enough for government work." I have no idea whether it's old or not, but I'm the only person under 60 I've ever heard use it.


My HS physics teacher used this all the time when rounding things to only a couple decimal places. I've picked it up.

And of course, "Simultaneous Navy/Army Fuck Up"
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Old but good expressions
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2004, 09:30:28 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"

I learned that one as Situation Normal, All Fouled Up.

It still doesn't get the usage it deserves.


That's what I learnt it as. Well, fucked up. Like Fubar which I had to persuade someone wasn't German for anything!

I said snafu today actually. Great wordal fun.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2004, 11:30:38 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
And of course, "Simultaneous Navy/Army Fuck Up"


I learned that one as Situation Normal, All Fouled Up.

It still doesn't get the usage it deserves.


I'm pretty sure I learned my version in Slaughterhouse Five
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2004, 11:40:19 pm »

I think the word SNAFU preceeded the acronym for it.

Choop, when you referred to your corpulence as a dunlop I thought you were simply putting a brand name on your spare tire of a gut.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2004, 04:47:45 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I said that a girl was "the bee's knees" the other day, and use the phrase "the living end" quite often.

Golly, this sure is swell!


Holy Hanna!  I was going to post the exact same : "the bee's knees," the living end," but also "the cat's meow."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Old but good expressions
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2004, 05:17:57 am »

Logged

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
Old but good expressions
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2004, 11:49:29 am »

ok, I use solid and rad a lot.  and it's not really old, but I throw the word "money" around all the time, meaning something really good, as used in one of my favorite movies, Swingers.  

Also, I  use "consarnate" and "reckon" ALL the time.  
Here's an example:
Consarnate, the sun's up....  Well, I reckon I should get to bed

nighty night
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Old but good expressions
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2004, 12:55:10 pm »

Quote from: "Flenker"

Also, I  use "consarnate" and "reckon" ALL the time.  



Maybe it's a UK thing but reckon never really went out of common usage. Which is good.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Old but good expressions
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2004, 06:10:57 pm »

Quote from: "Flenker"
it's not really old, but I throw the word "money" around all the time, meaning something really good, as used in one of my favorite movies, Swingers.


That's a good reason not to use it.  Every pinhead that saw "Swingers" was using the word "money" to describe something good back in, oh, say 1996.

You're just eight years behind the curve.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2004, 08:39:51 pm »

My 2nd Year roommate once used the word "money" 31 times in a single day. Thus I cannot stand it as an adjective anymore.

Oh, and Merriam-Webster listed the "All Fucked Up" origins of snafu. Apparently the pussified "fouled" version came later.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Old but good expressions
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2004, 09:39:33 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
My 2nd Year roommate once used the word "money" 31 times in a single day. Thus I cannot stand it as an adjective anymore.

This is humbling and somehow terrifying. Was he intentionally trying to destroy the meaning of the word, or was he just that odd?

If any swing movie should really inspire slang, it's "Swing Kids." I should go find someone I can call 'Django-Man.'
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2004, 06:03:08 pm »

He was one of the social chameleons who adopts every trend in attempt to fit in. "Money" was just the hip new slang so he felt compelled to use it. He was also rushing for DU.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Old but good expressions
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2004, 09:50:18 pm »

Jeezly crow. I threw up in my mouth. For fuck's sake. And, from the fiancee, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, sacred heart (with an accent).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Old but good expressions
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2004, 11:19:27 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I threw up in my mouth.


I had a friend who, when very excited, would scream "That's AWESOME!"  And then, in a tiny, shy voice, he'd say, "I peed a little."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up