Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Poll

DST?

Yay!
- 8 (47.1%)
Boo!
- 7 (41.2%)
What!?
- 2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: April 02, 2004, 10:25:50 pm


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Daylight Saving Time  (Read 6567 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Daylight Saving Time
« on: April 02, 2004, 10:25:50 pm »

Don't forget to "Spring Ahead" tomorrow.  (Void where prohibited.  Restrictions apply.)  

Pedro hates the very concept of Daylight Saving Time.  I find it harmless, and laugh at him for spending time and brainwaves thinking about how much it irritates him.  What do you think?  Love it or leave it?  

And let me issue a pre-emptive "sucks to you" for those who live in states/countries that do not observe DST.  I know what to expect from you troublemakers.  

Non-conformists.  

Hippies.

Right.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 10:47:15 pm »

I hate it when we "fall back," but I love days like tomorrow, when we get a whole extra hour of sunlight at dusk.  So it all evens out.

On the list of Things That Bother Me, DST falls somewhere in the low 900s or so.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 11:34:04 pm »

I'm against it this year since I'm supposed to be at a concert in Bawlmer until 2 which means I'll be there until 3 plus travel time.

But mad props for not pluralizing daylight, which is a pet peeve of mine.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 11:40:39 pm »

I don't see why it can't stay Daylight Saving Time all year round.  Why do we ever change back?

And I hate that getting up an hour earlier thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 03:20:34 am »

I am sort of vaguely opposed to "spring ahead," since it will cost me a whole hour of sleep before my flight back to school on Sunday, but given as I will likely spend the entire flight sleeping anyway, who cares?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 03:53:15 am »

I used to be an opponent of DST, because I thought it was an outdated measure taken to guarantee the economic safety of the nation what with farmers being able to rise at the right time by the clock and what have you. I read a study a few years ago which caused me to switch to being a proponent of DST - as it turns out, all of our drains on the planet are lower due to the time change: less electricity is used in the summer to keep lights on, etc., and less gas is used in the winter to keep heat on, etc.

Bottom line, I'm all for less energy consumption. Especially when that energy consumption is directly related to the sizes of my bills.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 05:08:25 am »

I hate DST. Fuck you farmers!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 06:26:25 am »

I wish time changed all the time by random increments.  Then NO ONE would know what time it was.  All of a sudden it would get dark because the time changed, and then the next minute it would be high noon again.

I'M TALKING CHAOS HERE, PEOPLE

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 08:30:03 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
I hate DST. Fuck you farmers!


Beat me to it.
And there aren't even any farmers left over here after foot and mouth. And they all have floodlights on their tractors. And they all suck.

I don't see why they have to fuck with time!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 09:52:20 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I wish time changed all the time by random increments.  Then NO ONE would know what time it was.  All of a sudden it would get dark because the time changed, and then the next minute it would be high noon again.

I'M TALKING CHAOS HERE, PEOPLE

I'll go for that. We could have like six time changes in a week, and then nothing for two years, and then all of a sudden have the month change on us. Good times!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 10:13:44 pm »

Dammit, despite this board's debate, I still forgot to change my watch forward this morning, and thanks to a Saturday night with this stuff, was quite perplexed and enraged by the whole concept this morning.
Logged
goose means greedy

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2004, 10:40:14 pm »

Yup, and I forgot to change my alarm clock and was late for work.  First time in my life I forget to change the clocks and it would have to be when I have a job where I work on Sundays.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2004, 11:41:58 pm »

As duly predicted, I got shafted an hour of sleep before my flight. At least I managed to catch a nap on the plane, which gave me the incredible sensation of having been transported from Lincoln to Chicago instantly.

(And my night was all about a long, creepy nightmare in which at one point Steven Seagal hurled insults at me about my virtue. Mind you, in my subconscious this was terrifying. Go figure.)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 02:56:49 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
(And my night was all about a long, creepy nightmare in which at one point Steven Seagal hurled insults at me about my virtue. Mind you, in my subconscious this was terrifying. Go figure.)



YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up