Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marry Me David  (Read 2563 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Marry Me David
« on: April 03, 2004, 06:58:08 am »

It'd going on 2 AM, and I just got back from a David Bowie show... I screamed myself hoarse, hopped around on one foot, bought the $45 Ziggy Stardust tank top, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I almost fainted like the schoolgirl I am when he gave a little talk about the Pixies' reunion and followed it up with 'Cactus'... it was a very long, very intense, utterly charming set that was very well recieved.

AAAAND...

To preface this, I've had a crush on this man for literally as long as I can remember thanks to the movie Labyrinth, hence my giddiness at seeing him from 15 rows away... so, during one fairly mediocre song wherein very few people were still standing, I did the quasi-ironic reach toward him, and he looked me right in the eyes and reached back.

Ergo, I will die happy.
If he comes to your town, for the love of god, see him.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Marry Me David
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 07:49:04 am »

I've only seen him once, back in 1995 when he was touring with Nine Inch Nails.  It was a good show - the show opened with just NIN and the band, and then one by one replaced Trent's band with Bowie's and they played a bunch of each other's songs together before NIN finally left the stage.

Bowie was promoting his criminally underappreciated "Outside" album at the time.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Marry Me David
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 08:23:26 am »

Oh man, I totally dug the bootlegs of the Bowie/NIN gig that I found. Wouldn't have minded at all seeing that, but I saw NIN in 94 before they tried it.
Ah well.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Marry Me David
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 09:34:34 pm »

Once again I weep for my college's tragic issues with getting decent concerts. Maybe our spring thing will be worth going to.

DAMMIT, BANDS I LIKE, START TOURING AGAIN. THIS MEANS YOU, FRUVOUS.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Marry Me David
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 09:53:36 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
THIS MEANS YOU, FRUVOUS.


Wow, too bad your proximity to Ottawa isn't the same as mine- I go to the folk festival there most years, and they have been there like every single time I've been.  They are practically a plague upon Southern Ontario.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Marry Me David
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 09:59:55 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
THIS MEANS YOU, FRUVOUS.


Wow, too bad your proximity to Ottawa isn't the same as mine- I go to the folk festival there most years, and they have been there like every single time I've been.  They are practically a plague upon Southern Ontario.

Really? Dang. Maybe I'll have to road trip or something, because I've been sitting here in Massachusetts, and it's getting sort of ridiculous.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Marry Me David
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 10:13:18 pm »

My bestfriend is posing as a photographer while his boyfriend interviews David  Bowie for his magazine, and also they're backstage for the whole show.  For Free.  

My Friend said "but it'll be hard to see the show from backstage" - not because he serious, but because he's an evil, sarcastic bastard, and he likes making me mad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Marry Me David
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 10:46:03 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
My bestfriend is posing as a photographer while his boyfriend interviews David  Bowie for his magazine, and also they're backstage for the whole show.  For Free.  

My Friend said "but it'll be hard to see the show from backstage" - not because he serious, but because he's an evil, sarcastic bastard, and he likes making me mad.


Oh! that is truly the limit.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Marry Me David
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 10:59:31 pm »

God, I'm actually so insanely pumped about going to (gulp) Bonnaroo, and here's why: David Byrne, Willie Nelson, Wilco, Ween, Yo La Tengo, Femi Kuti, Doc Watson, Beth Orton, My Morning Jacket, Gillian Welch, Sam Bush Band, Taj Mahal, Grandaddy, Neko Case and Mike Doughty (thanks, Jough!)!
But I have yet to see Bowie. He will be mine. OH YES, HE WILL.

P.S. Awesome work moment of the day: around hour 6 of my 9 hour, no breaks work day, one of the other workers grabbed my arm and pointed to this one dude we were serving and said, "Dude, there's one of your MMJ boys."
It was one of the members of My Morning Jacket, I think the guitarist who ISN'T Jim James.
God, I love working in the hippest place in Louisville.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Marry Me David
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 04:08:26 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"

P.S. Awesome work moment of the day: around hour 6 of my 9 hour, no breaks work day, one of the other workers grabbed my arm and pointed to this one dude we were serving and said, "Dude, there's one of your MMJ boys."
It was one of the members of My Morning Jacket, I think the guitarist who ISN'T Jim James.


It's probably one of the two guys who just quit the band.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Marry Me David
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 08:29:11 pm »

Wait, no, I'm an idiot. It was Jim James; he's actually good friends with a couple of the people who work there.
The awesome work moment of today was finding out that my boss' 13-year old daughter has a crush on me. Oh, wait, not awesome, HORRIBLY AWKWARD. I know, somehow, I'm gonna get fired because of this.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Marry Me David
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 09:06:08 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
David Byrne, Willie Nelson, Wilco, Ween, Yo La Tengo, Femi Kuti, Doc Watson, Beth Orton, My Morning Jacket, Gillian Welch, Sam Bush Band, Taj Mahal, Grandaddy, Neko Case and Mike Doughty


*Screaming like a schoolgirl for the second time this weekend*
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: [1]   Go Up