Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RTS Game Controllers  (Read 4837 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
RTS Game Controllers
« on: August 07, 2003, 12:53:18 am »

A friend just dropped by and gave me -- gave me!! -- a Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander.  I'm about to fire up some Warcraft III and check it out -- has anybody else used it or a similar controller (e.g., The Claw)?  Any tips?  Also, who out there is a big fat gaming geek like me?  (The fat part is optional.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
RTS Game Controllers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 01:01:36 am »

Well, I've not used any of the controllers of which you speak. I've also fealt kind of attached to penis. I'm kind of geeky in a really geeky way! I'm a purist in other words.
I'm certainly a big fat gaming geek. Well, I would be fat if my metabolism wasn't shockingly high, instead I'm a lanky bastard gaming geek.
As I say though, just a geek in general!
I did end up forking out for a PSX-USB converter, though ended up after it refused to work on 2K getting a Saitek PS2 alike controller. Oh and a Sidewinder 2 FFB joystick. But apart from that I'm a penis and keyboard gamer. I cannot understand all these people playing FPS'ers with controllers!
Do tell how the Strategic Commander works out tho, while I don't tend to play many RTS' I do play the odd one, and if it works out as a far better control method I may take the plunge and see what it's like and if it makes me enjoy them more with them being easier to control and less reaching for the keyboard and such.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
RTS Game Controllers
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 02:07:10 am »

I dunno, frankly I like the keyboard for RTS's* considering the number of unit teams I'm usually dealing with. And the buttons usually make sense (T for a type of unit, E for all units, etc) so that's no big deal. And multi-button combos are usually one-time things (assigning groups). I guess I just don't see the need to spend extra money on an RTS controller.

Now what I really wanted back in the day was a special RPG controller for my SNES, sadly it was Super Famicom only. I used to drool over that thing while playing Final Fantasy III/VI


*I've only played Westwood RTS games (Command & Conquer) so your mileage may vary.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
RTS Game Controllers
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 04:09:15 am »

See, to me "Real time Strategy" is an oxymoron.  Strategy requires time and thought.  Manual dexterity is not a measure of one's strategic capacity.  Give me turn based any day.  I'll play Civ II or Alpha Centauri till the cows come home.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
RTS Game Controllers
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 02:21:59 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
See, to me "Real time Strategy" is an oxymoron.  Strategy requires time and thought.  Manual dexterity is not a measure of one's strategic capacity.  Give me turn based any day.  I'll play Civ II or Alpha Centauri till the cows come home.


There's lots of real time strategy. Ever tried to sneak out early for lunch?

I like Civ (SNES) and Civ III as much as the next guy (those being the only 2 I've played) but how can you like like Red Alert 2? Are you made of stone?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
RTS Game Controllers
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 02:43:56 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
See, to me "Real time Strategy" is an oxymoron.  Strategy requires time and thought.  Manual dexterity is not a measure of one's strategic capacity.  Give me turn based any day.  I'll play Civ II or Alpha Centauri till the cows come home.


I used to think that.  I never understood what was fun about trying to click faster than your opponent.  And I still generally lose when I play against the computer, because I simply can't process millions of decisions per second.  But from my exerience, Warcraft III is a better-balanced game than Starcraft or the previous Warcraft games, so speed isn't necessarily everything.  (The addition of upkeep and the relatively low max food limit make sure of that.)  

While playing last night, I found that the main advantage to a command unit like The Claw or the SideWinder SC isn't speed, but rather its ability to harness the power of reflex.  I've been gaming with the penis and keyboard, and there are certain things I just do without thinking -- shift-1 to add units to a team, for instance.  But there are other things that I have to look at the keyboard for each and every time, because the keys I need are on the right side of the keyboard.  (Using F8 to select idle workers, for instance.)  With a controller specifically designed for RTS, everything's right there -- you never have to take your eyes of the screen -- and once you learn the keys, reflex takes over.  (That's the theory, anyway.  I only played one game with it last night, so I'm not exactly an expert yet...)  

Anyway, that's my experience.  I'll try it out, maybe I'll go back to the keyboard next week, I don't know.  And I can't imagine finding a controller like this useful for a shooter.  But I can see using it for a turn-based game, or even a simulation game like Sim City 4.  (Mental note: Give that a try.)  Anybody else find RTS controllers useful in other genres?  Or is the learning curve so steep that nobody gets past the initial breaking-in period?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
RTS Game Controllers
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 08:07:23 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
but how can you like like Red Alert 2? Are you made of stone?


Simple.  I've never played it.  Should I?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
RTS Game Controllers
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 08:58:24 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
but how can you like like Red Alert 2? Are you made of stone?


Simple.  I've never played it.  Should I?


I'd say yes. I think it's the best of the Command & Conquer RTS games. It's 2D making it easier for a new person, it's been out for 2 years so it's cheap, the speed has a slider so you can make the units crawl if you want more thinking time, the controls are intuitive, and the story is often quite funny. Plus Yuri's Revenge is a damned fine expansion.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up