Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Flowers and Trees and stuff  (Read 5123 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« on: April 05, 2004, 11:42:13 pm »

They started a piece on NPR tonight, "Spring has come to the nation's capital" and I yelled at the radio "NO IT HAS NOT."  Right now the wind chill is 41 and the overnight low is forecast to be 29.  I don't care if the freaking cherry blossoms are in bloom, this does NOT count as Spring.  Especially when going to work an hour earlier in the dark cold.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 12:25:09 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
They started a piece on NPR tonight, "Spring has come to the nation's capital" and I yelled at the radio "NO IT HAS NOT."  Right now the wind chill is 41 and the overnight low is forecast to be 29.  I don't care if the freaking cherry blossoms are in bloom, this does NOT count as Spring.  Especially when going to work an hour earlier in the dark cold.

I fall very decidedly into the Could Not Give Less of a Shit About the Boring-Ass Cherry Blossoms So Get Them Off the News, Fuck-Wad contingent.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 02:18:28 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I fall very decidedly into the Could Not Give Less of a Shit About the Boring-Ass Cherry Blossoms So Get Them Off the News, Fuck-Wad contingent.


Cherry Blossoms are beautiful, they are to be cherished.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 03:29:50 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I fall very decidedly into the Could Not Give Less of a Shit About the Boring-Ass Cherry Blossoms So Get Them Off the News, Fuck-Wad contingent.


Cherry Blossoms are beautiful, they are to be cherished.

Clearly you have not been jaded by the local news doing a countdown to the blossoms' peak starting just after Christmas.

If a freak blizzard slammed us during the Cherry Blossom Peak (cue heavenly chorus) I think the channel 9 weather-guy would actually explode on camera from the sheer joy of reporting his two favorite events at the same time. Moreso if he worked the UV-index in there somewhere.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 04:39:43 am »

There were lots of dogwood trees on my college campus, and when they were first blooming the pollen smelled like human semen (I have no basis of comparison for other animals).

Of course, we just called them the "cum trees."

You're welcome.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 10:34:39 am »

Oh my god Jough do you have to ruin everything. Now I won't be able to go in my backyard for... I'm not even sure how long the dogwoods are in bloom.  It could be weeks.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 01:50:44 pm »

I've got a dogwood in the back yard of my new house. Do you think the neighbors will think it strange that I'll be out there today, deeply inhaling from the foliage? What about the little lady - will she think it's odd?

She'll no doubt be out there with me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 05:01:26 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I fall very decidedly into the Could Not Give Less of a Shit About the Boring-Ass Cherry Blossoms So Get Them Off the News, Fuck-Wad contingent.


Cherry Blossoms are beautiful, they are to be cherished.

Clearly you have not been jaded by the local news doing a countdown to the blossoms' peak starting just after Christmas.


I get the vague sense that Paul was being dirty.  

Or maybe it's just me?  

'Round these parts, we have bradford pear trees.  They're gorgeous and smelly (in a good way).  But seeing as how they blossom every freaking year, our newscasters don't feel the need to report on it.  

Then again, I haven't watched local news in about five years, so maybe they've started up in the interim.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 05:31:06 pm »

:sigh:  Fine.  You asked for a damn plant report, now you'll get it.  Here comes Mr. Stodgy-Homeowner-Plantguy.  Hope you're happy.

We have cherry trees, Bradford Pears, Dogwoods, Tulip Trees, Spirea and Forsythia (among others) in our area.  They have been spectacular this year, probably because late spring was very wet and we had no hard freezes from late February on.

The forsythia are especially good this year.  Sometimes they're kind of bare, but this year they've been densely packed with vibrant yellow blossoms.  The new grass has been a shocking day-glo green.  Pink and white cherry blossoms.  Snow-white pears and dogwoods.  The Tulip Trees are covered with great big 'ol pink flowers.  Plus there are daffodils, tulips and hyacinth coming up everywhere.

Despite everything the world can be a beautiful place (at least visually.)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 05:51:31 pm »

Don't they have magnolias too where you guys live, JL and AW?

We have them here but it is a little too far north for them, and they are very foolishly optimistic Southerners, and often start to get buds too early, so that a late cold snap means that we have sad brown wrinkled petals instead of glorious pink magnolias.  This year what we have is half-brown magnolias, hanging around as a constant reminder of the risks of hopefulness.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 05:59:49 pm »

Absolutely (I have one in the front yard) but it's too early for them to bloom yet.  Next month, especially if I get some MirAcid on it, I expect some blooms.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 07:02:34 pm »

The house my parents have just put down an offer on has dogwoods, and I believe it may have magnolias also. There's also a white wisteria, a topic which seemed to particularly fascinate our realtor, although we're not sure entirely why.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 07:18:37 pm »

Maybe because wisteria are usually purple?  I think.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 07:43:18 pm »

I've been mowing my yard once a week nonstop since I got here. The Hibiscus have not stopped blooming nor have the Bouganvilleas. I have had to cut 2 feet off my hibiscus hedgerow since the new house 9 months ago. I've been stacking 8 foot palm fronds for the yard waste guys weekly. Thank god I don't have any coconut trees.

I would LOVE a long period of cold dark. This place is horticulturally relentless, man.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Flowers and Trees and stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 08:05:43 pm »

AlohaDawg, I am trying real hard not to hate you right now.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the ocean.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up