Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dave Barry  (Read 5261 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Dave Barry
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 02:49:38 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Maybe he and Onstad BOTH are regulars here with different names.
Maybe they are the same person!

Maybe They're ME!

Seriously, though - are you them?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Dave Barry
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 03:10:48 am »

I'm really the late Frank Nelson.  Yyyyeeeeeesssss.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Dave Barry
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 03:59:11 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Definitly not me.

So I went over there and double posted like the lame-o I am.


Proper, indeed.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Barry
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2004, 04:02:47 am »

Quote from: "slink"
Wow. Props on what, if I'm correct, is a Studio Ghibli thing as an avatar?
Just can't tell 'cause I only know it side on (I had to run out of Spirited Away to phone my SO).
Good stuff if so.


I guess you'd have to ask JLD about that, she rescued me from the hell of having no avatar by gifting me with this one. (Chinese gotta lotta hells, Jack)

It could be a studded giblet or whatever you said, I just said nice doggie and linked.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Dave Barry
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 04:16:14 am »

West and Dawg, those are two pretty classic posts right there.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dave Barry
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 04:21:53 am »

Earlier today a coworker was talking about this character from Fibber McGee and Molly and I was trying to remember the name of the YEeeeeees guy....I kept thinking of the Great Gazoo, though. Thanks to August for saving me from hours of internet trolling this evening.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Dave Barry
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004, 05:04:56 am »

Frank Nelson is a true American Icon.  He lurks in our collective subconscious.  I'll be sorry to see the day when no-one remembers him anymore.

One of the things that touched me about the info that I linked to was that he had written the constitution and bylaws for the local and national chapters of the AFTRA.  That's the sort of thing I do with some regularity.

Also, I feel an affinity for his name.  My first name is Frank and my grandmother's first husband's last name was Nelson.  I came this close to being a Frank Nelson myself.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Barry
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2004, 08:12:19 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "slink"
Wow. Props on what, if I'm correct, is a Studio Ghibli thing as an avatar?
Just can't tell 'cause I only know it side on (I had to run out of Spirited Away to phone my SO).
Good stuff if so.


I guess you'd have to ask JLD about that, she rescued me from the hell of having no avatar by gifting me with this one. (Chinese gotta lotta hells, Jack)

It could be a studded giblet or whatever you said, I just said nice doggie and linked.


Pretty sure he means Jugwine's avatar, which does indeed appear to be My Neighbor Totoro, the mascot of Studio Ghibli and star of one of their many fine movies (albeit one targeted more towards the younger end of things).
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Dave Barry
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2004, 08:50:39 am »

Good clarification. I was thinking it was just a dog with some flowers.

Slink, could ya be a little more specific? I have no idea what a Giggly Stud is and you and Ben are scaring me.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Dave Barry
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2004, 01:05:01 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Good clarification. I was thinking it was just a dog with some flowers.

Slink, could ya be a little more specific? I have no idea what a Giggly Stud is and you and Ben are scaring me.

Studio Ghibli is a Japanese company responsible for some dandy movies. Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, and Kiki's Delivery Service off the top of my head.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Dave Barry
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2004, 01:21:54 pm »

So was Frank Nelson the inspiration for this guy on the Simpsons?

Homer:  "Are you the maitre'd?"
"Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeees!"
"Do you have a table for the mayor?"
"Yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeees!"
"Why do you talk like that?"
"Because I had a strooooooooooooooke!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Dave Barry
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2004, 02:06:43 pm »

That would be him.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Dave Barry
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2004, 02:27:34 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Good clarification. I was thinking it was just a dog with some flowers.

Slink, could ya be a little more specific? I have no idea what a Giggly Stud is and you and Ben are scaring me.

Studio Ghibli is a Japanese animation studio that's primarily become famous for the films produced by Hayao Miyazaki, who is what you might call Big Japanese-Animation Mojo. Their latest was Spirited Away (fantastic if you have the slightest clue what's going on, but most people won't), but they have quite a few films which have received significant American press.
Logged

Jugwine

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Barry
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2004, 02:31:24 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Wow. Props on what, if I'm correct, is a Studio Ghibli thing as an avatar?
Just can't tell 'cause I only know it side on (I had to run out of Spirited Away to phone my SO).
Good stuff if so.


Yes, as others have already mentioned, it is in fact Totoro.  What it is disturbing is that some people think it's a big cat with ten nipples.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Dave Barry
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2004, 04:56:10 pm »

Quote from: "Jugwine"

Yes, as others have already mentioned, it is in fact Totoro.  What it is disturbing is that some people think it's a big cat with ten nipples.


Cool. I thought it was, I just haven't seen My Neighbour... yet either. Only got Kiki, Laputa and Spirited Away... And Mononoke.
Damned good stuff, and yea, I always wanted to use it as an avatar.
Sorry to confuse you 'Dawg!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up