Update: I no longer feel as if I am wearing a wig all the time. The braids have loosened up enough that I don't notice them any more. In fact, I forget when I am out in public that I have an unusual hairstyle, until I notice people looking at me strangely and remember that I'm a white girl with cornrows. I inspired a little blonde girl to stare, open-mouthed, at my swinging locks as I thumped produce at the supermarket. I also had a lengthy conversation with the African-American postal clerk about where I got my 'rows done, and don't the extensions look natural? Also, I got carded for alcohol for the first time in five years.
It occurred to me today that the answer to the inevitable question -- why? -- is the same for me as it is for most black women with braids. I got sick and tired of spending hours artificially straightening my hair, and thought the new 'do would be an attractive and low-maintenence alternative.
So far, so good.