Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: For Those About to Rock!  (Read 9376 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« on: April 13, 2004, 03:40:51 am »

I am now the proud owner of a guitar.
Hmm, I hear you say. Is it a Fender? An Eddie Ball Music Man? A Gibson? Some $5 piece o' junk on ultra-sale at Musician's Friend?
No, it is not.
I sit here, typing, with a no-label, black lap steel guitar from (maybe) 1961 asittin' on my, umm...lap. I don't know how to play lap steel. Hell, it doesn't look like anyone in my town knows how to play lap steel. I plan to learn entirely from mail-order DVDs.
Anyway, who-all here plays an instrument? If we ever have an Ache-con, (and if I ever master the stylings of the lap steel to any degree of proficiency) we'd have to jam. So we need names, instruments, and band name suggestions.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 03:49:36 am »

I used to play drums, and I think given a rocking enough opportunity I could relearn them.

As for band names, I always wanted to be in a band called "The Pragmatic Ghosts of Science," but it seems rather unlikely.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 04:12:47 am »

I'm working on Bass. I have a lot of vocal experience but that was theatre and stuff, and awhile ago. Counts for exactly Bupkus since this is a hypothetical band,

As for names, there were two bandnames that have stuck with me since college. One was a punk band called "Painful Discharge" and the other was 'Big Hunk O'Cheese".
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 04:24:12 am »

I'm "learning" piano/keyboard. Can't really play jack yet.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 04:59:25 am »

Where'd you get it?

I play guitar, or I used to.  It's been about 6 years since I've played with any regularity.  But I suppose it's like riding a bike.  I could probably show you some chords or something.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 05:07:58 am »

Show him your etchings!
Show him your etchings!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 05:12:52 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Show him your etchings!
Show him your etchings!


Ummmm, No.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 05:20:53 am »

I'm a decent guitarist and can now hold my own on the bass as well. Can't sing worth a shit.

For a band name, I would suggest Carol Badabing and the Aryan Peace Experience.  

235: go here for lap steel instructionals.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 05:36:54 am »

I used to play guitar lots, but haven't much lately.  I have mp3s around these parts somewhere, and if you have access to the Muze database you can see what albums I played on (although you'd never have heard of any of the artists).

All I can tell you is: chicks dig the guitar even if you suck at playing it.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 07:02:18 am »

I was searching for Bass resources and I found this walkman-like device that you put any CD in and plug your guitar in.  It'll feed you into the walkman and you'll hear your Bass instead of the one on the CD. I don't know if it would work for instruments other than Bass or if they exist for others but it could be a good way to practice quietly.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 11:41:46 am »

I could play guitar again in a minute, and I can sing, even in harmony.
I used to play a lot of other useless things like button accordion, recorder, and shawm, but right now I am retired from music.

We need an Achewood-related band name, though, don't you think?  Roast Beef and the Saddest Things, or something.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 12:00:32 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
All I can tell you is: chicks dig the guitar even if you suck at playing it.


Pff.  Bass is way more appealing.  And then some girls just
fall in love with the drummer
.

Me, I always had my aspirations, but the best I can do is, with great effort, about 4 chords on the guitar.  At least I've transcended the 3-chord paradigm, I guess.
Logged
goose means greedy

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 12:22:58 pm »

Why don't guys feel the same way about guitar playing chicks?  Oh, or maybe it's just me.

I am up too early on my day off, trolling the archives for band names.

The Bad Chimichangas
Ray's Nipples
Death Limo
Lung Brothers
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 01:24:06 pm »

I play the gee-tar.  I own a 12-string, which I don't play nearly often enough.

I sang for a band in college.  (Sang sometimes, screamed others.)  It was the height of the grunge craze, so that's what we tried to be.  We actually played at CBGB's in NYC, no shit, the highlight of my musical career.  I miss that stuff.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 02:18:13 pm »

I find girls who play the cello to be hella sexy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up