Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: For Those About to Rock!  (Read 9419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2004, 02:45:47 am »

I would also have to love anyone who actually named a band "Ecks and the Wise," too. But yes, we can work Achewoodiness into other aspects of our band. So there!
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2004, 03:36:15 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would also have to love anyone who actually named a band "Ecks and the Wise," too. But yes, we can work Achewoodiness into other aspects of our band. So there!


What about "Ex and the Whys?"  

As in, someone I used to date...and the lingering questions regarding the relationship's demise.  Ah, it is a melancholy evening...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2004, 03:40:41 am »

Okay, band name aside for one moment, what type of band is this going to be? As of right now we have:
Me- violin, mandolin, NOMINAL slide guitar.
Slink- guitar, drums, bass.
Asherdan-trombone.
V-Adore- recorder, drums.
Carlos- guitar.
Andalucia- 4 chords of ROCK.
Wombat- Guitar, and maybe, just maybe, button accordion, recorder, and....shawm?*
AlohaDawg- Bass.
AugustWest- guitar.
Jorge- Mr. Piano Man.
Limmo- guitar, bass.
Jough- Guitar.
Man, that's not even a band. That's like some sort of crazy musical army. Or orchestra. Or ska band.
I vote that our band should be the first international, fully hypothetical internet alt-country orchestra. But let's have a genre fight.

August: Guitar Emporium; it was the only place that carried them, and although I know I should have gotten an 8-string, they had none, and I really didn't feel like eBaying until I died. If you could show me anything, I'd be much obliged, although slide/steel is strung differently than guitars (I'm currently rocking in the standard for electric lap 6-strings, EBEG#BE).

Limmo: Thanks a lot, man, I completely overlooked the fact that the man that taught me mandolin might have a lil' something to say about slide. Mr. Bay, what CAN'T you teach? My books should be getting to my local distributor in about a week.

*ah, of course, the medieval shawm, perhaps the most important double reed instrument of the Middle Ages and Reneisance, as modeled by the Shameless Wonder below.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2004, 03:47:32 am »

Bass.  Me.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2004, 03:58:49 am »

I am an idiot. We all already know the name of the band.
Animalicious.
WE DECIDED ON THIS NAME IN LESS THAN THREE MINUTES AMERICA.
NOW SIT BACK AND PREPARE TO HAVE YOUR MINDS BLOWN AS THIRTEEN COMPLETE MUSICAL STRANGERS EXPLORE THE SONIC LANDSCAPE.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2004, 04:05:41 am »

If we're exploring the sonic landscape, I should probably note that I am capable of also playing supplemental percussion (marimba, timpanis, that kind of thing) and novelty percussion (giant tubular bells, triangle, scratchy things). Wee-ha!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2004, 04:46:33 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
novelty percussion (giant tubular bells, triangle, scratchy things). Wee-ha!


In 10th grade, I wrote a symphony for Hit-Me-Here's.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2004, 05:57:03 am »

I'm not much of a guitar player, but I can sing like crazy.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2004, 08:33:49 am »

Don't forget I can sing too.  I suppose Jough will make me be the stupid girl backup singer with the tambourine. But man, we are going to have to sing hella loud over all those guitars.

Incidentally I want to make it absolutely clear that I never played shawm in such idiotic getup and that part of the reason I got out of doing early music was that I was tired of that whole sort of thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2004, 11:45:48 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Stay off the Beach, Pat!



But in terms of a band name that makes me think too much of King Missile's fine number - 'Hey Einstein, get off the beach!'
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2004, 12:06:38 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
novelty percussion (giant tubular bells, triangle, scratchy things). Wee-ha!


In 10th grade, I wrote a symphony for Hit-Me-Here's.

YOU. ARE. RAD.

This is all.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2004, 01:12:16 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
novelty percussion (giant tubular bells, triangle, scratchy things). Wee-ha!


In 10th grade, I wrote a symphony for Hit-Me-Here's.

YOU. ARE. RAD.

This is all.


Actually, thinking back on it, I co-wrote it with Steve Gorman.  He went on to have a much more distinguished musical career than I.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2004, 04:26:02 pm »

I sing, and also play viola.  Can I be in your band?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2004, 04:29:06 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Okay, band name aside for one moment, what type of band is this going to be? As of right now we have:
Me- violin, mandolin, NOMINAL slide guitar.
Slink- guitar, drums, bass.
Asherdan-trombone.
V-Adore- recorder, drums.
Carlos- guitar.
Andalucia- 4 chords of ROCK.
Wombat- Guitar, and maybe, just maybe, button accordion, recorder, and....shawm?*
AlohaDawg- Bass.
AugustWest- guitar.
Jorge- Mr. Piano Man.
Limmo- guitar, bass.
Jough- Guitar.
Man, that's not even a band. That's like some sort of crazy musical army. Or orchestra. Or ska band.
I vote that our band should be the first international, fully hypothetical internet alt-country orchestra. But let's have a genre fight.

I'm pretty sure you just described The Aquabats.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
For Those About to Rock!
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2004, 04:32:09 pm »

If your "international, fully hypothetical internet alt-country orchestra" ever decides to cover Country Death Song, I'll play the bass part (it's all I've managed to teach myself so far...not enough time to practice).
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up