Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: lame guys on TV  (Read 3488 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
lame guys on TV
« on: April 22, 2004, 11:59:13 pm »

Oh my Lord the Bleat is making sense again! I've had that exact discussion about there being no good male characters on TV. Usually after NOW releases their annual "tv grades" about how shitty female roles are.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
lame guys on TV
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 12:16:18 am »

It's true, but it's been true for a long time, in my opinion. Actually, Raymonds wife is kind of a meanspirited, nasty, browbeating shrew to go with his idiotic oagiraffeness.

The only decent male archetypes being presented now are the Brawny Paper Towel Guys. That shit is funny!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
lame guys on TV
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 12:49:42 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It's true, but it's been true for a long time, in my opinion. Actually, Raymonds wife is kind of a meanspirited, nasty, browbeating shrew to go with his idiotic oagiraffeness.

The only decent male archetypes being presented now are the Brawny Paper Towel Guys. That shit is funny!

Raymond is the perfect example. The show is 50% Ray messing up some wacky stunt and 50% him getting turned down for sex. I don't see the humor.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
lame guys on TV
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 01:45:19 am »

Ye gods, does this mean Lileks is worth visiting again?  It's been so long...
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
lame guys on TV
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 01:50:54 am »

Today's Bleat was a pretty rare exception.  I don't know why I continue to read Lileks day after day after day, because he invariably annoys me with his knee-jerk neo-con outlook.  It's about 85% politics lately, and when he does get around to discussing pop culture, he finds some way to introduce a political twist and condemn some libruls.

It's kind of like picking at a scab, I guess.  It hurts and I know I shouldn't do it, but I still do.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
lame guys on TV
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 02:06:21 am »

It's usually 2 paragraphs of readability then a descent into boredom. Of course then I go read Eric S. who does the same thing but 180 degrees out of sync.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
lame guys on TV
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 02:16:14 am »

See, I think this may go to show that both genders now produce equally worthless, unpleasant TV characters. But that's just me.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
lame guys on TV
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 05:06:42 am »

i think it means i don't spend enough time "surfing" because i'd never seen those sites before.

honestly, i used to be able to get all the news i needed to know from dennis miller on weekend update.

sigh.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
lame guys on TV
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 01:11:42 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
See, I think this may go to show that both genders now produce equally worthless, unpleasant TV characters. But that's just me.

Actually that was my point as well. People are always going on about how there are so few good female roles on TV. Well that's true but there are just as few male roles on TV. But the NOW grades conveniently ignore this and pretend that men are portrayed as perfect.

They also said Mimi (on Drew Carey) was one of the worst because they mock her weight. I always thought that was a good character (except for her being a nympho) because she didn't take any shit and always managed to win in the long run.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Lame guys on TV?
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 01:29:29 pm »

C'mon people let's stay on topic, here!

Where are all the Ironsides jokes?  The Joe Theiseman stories?  Something about Malcolm's best friend on Malcolm in the Middle?  Maybe stretching it a little with a Michael J. Fox quip?

Hello!?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
lame guys on TV
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 02:07:42 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
They also said Mimi (on Drew Carey) was one of the worst because they mock her weight. I always thought that was a good character (except for her being a nympho) because she didn't take any shit and always managed to win in the long run.

Well, I can see their argument... but Drew Carey, in my opinion, is an example of a show in which the entire cast is treated odiously to the point of distraction. I mean, ridiculously so. In some regards, Mimi and the transvestite brother are the only ones who get off at all, simply because their jokes are broad enough not to need the show's otherwise scab-picking detail in character corruption.

(... yeah, I don't like Drew Carey. Does it show?)
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
lame guys on TV
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 04:23:43 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

(... yeah, I don't like Drew Carey. Does it show?)


i thought you meant all that "in a good way".
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Good Shows on TV
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 05:11:04 pm »

So what shows are worth watching these days?  I recently got a DVR through my cable company, and as of last night had completely emptied what I had recorded.  Now I'm mainly recording reruns (Kids In The Hall, NewsRadio, Simpsons), Sopranos, The Daily Show, and Adult Swim.  

I missed the first couple seasons of Scrubs before I noticed that there actually was a funny show on NBC...  Is there anything else around these days that's worth watching?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Good Shows on TV
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 05:33:28 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
So what shows are worth watching these days?  I recently got a DVR through my cable company, and as of last night had completely emptied what I had recorded.  Now I'm mainly recording reruns (Kids In The Hall, NewsRadio, Simpsons), Sopranos, The Daily Show, and Adult Swim.  

I missed the first couple seasons of Scrubs before I noticed that there actually was a funny show on NBC...  Is there anything else around these days that's worth watching?

Uh, all the stuff you just listed?

I've also got Season Passes for Good Eats, Farscape, Arrested Development, Alias, Red Dwarf, Red Green, Chapelle's Show, MXC, Penn & Teller's Bullshit (on Showtime), Junkyard Wars, and Monster House.

If FX is still showing reruns of Lucky that's definetly worth checking out. And Iron Chef American is this weekend.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
lame guys on TV
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 11:19:28 pm »

Two things

1) I'm glad I'm not the only one who applies the term "shrew" to Raymond's wife, 'cause damn.  (I watched this show back when it used to be between Simpsons reruns)

2) Mythbusters should be added to the list of shows for DVR-ing.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up