Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking erect  (Read 20185 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Walking erect
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2004, 05:25:52 pm »

Alcoholics Anonymous and grammar covered in so brief a span? Then it's time for a question I've been meaning to pose for some time:

Why do they call people workaholics? They aren't addicted to workahol. I know workic is a truly repugnant construction, but let's be consistent for once. (And really, I suppose the middle ground would at least be "workoholic".)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2004, 06:00:48 pm »

It's a common thing in the development of language for words to get broken up incorrectly and reassembled like this.  But it's been long enough since I answered this sort of question for a living that I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head.

I do think we're way overdue for a Most Wandering Thread award, though.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Walking erect
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2004, 06:03:48 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I do think we're way overdue for a Most Wandering Thread award, though.

Oh yeah? Well, how about this? I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Walking erect
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2004, 06:10:53 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Why do they call people workaholics? They aren't addicted to workahol. I know workic is a truly repugnant construction, but let's be consistent for once. (And really, I suppose the middle ground would at least be "workoholic".)

I have been tempted, more than once, to ask my self-avowed "biblioholic" friends if they can set me up with some bibliohol, because that must be some quality shit.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Walking erect
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2004, 07:07:09 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

I have been tempted, more than once, to ask my self-avowed "biblioholic" friends if they can set me up with some bibliohol, because that must be some quality shit.


It really does. I once tried to get me some of that but I couldn't climb through all the... *sigh*
I shan't start...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2004, 09:44:41 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.


Thank you - being right now at a point where I am feeling uncertain whether I have ever accomplished anything in my life, it is encouraging to know that at least I have caused people from coast to coast to discuss rodents that they would not otherwise have thought of.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Walking erect
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2004, 10:13:31 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.


Thank you - being right now at a point where I am feeling uncertain whether I have ever accomplished anything in my life, it is encouraging to know that at least I have caused people from coast to coast to discuss rodents that they would not otherwise have thought of.

She's disturbed by their teeth.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2004, 10:39:38 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
She's disturbed by their teeth.


Which is entirely understandable.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2004, 05:48:33 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
I do think we're way overdue for a Most Wandering Thread award, though.


Just yesterday I saw a car that wasn't parked across two spaces, just so terribly parked that it rendered the adjacent space unusable.  Two women were piling out as I walked by.  "That's some mighty fine parking" I quipped.  This was greeted by confused looks as if they were unaware of their bad parking or possibly didn't recognize the irony.  I just stood there shaking my head marveling at the incompetence on display as they slinked away toward the store.  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera.  Anyway the point of this story is I happened to notice the bumper sticker on the vehicle.  It was one of those assinine Calvin pissing on bumper stickers, but it was the bizarre alternate version where Calvin isn't pissing on anything actually, but is kneeling and praying before a cross.  I think that pretty much sums this whole thread up right there because I was always confused by this particular bumper sticker. The message it sends to me is, this kid, Calvin, who doesn't have a shread of respect for anything whatsoever, I mean literally pissing on whatever he doesn't like, is apparently a Christian.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2004, 01:09:43 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
those assinine Calvin pissing on bumper stickers


when/why/how/what/who did those stickers come from, anyways?  i never remember calvin being such a dick in the comic.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2004, 03:59:35 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Oh yeah? Well, how about this? I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.


Wait a minute - I didn't ask the most important question - WHY were there naked mole rats on a billboard?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Walking erect
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2004, 04:16:30 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Oh yeah? Well, how about this? I was riding home from getting my hair cut yesterday, and the sweetie and I paused at a light next to a billboard featuring naked mole rats - and we had a nice long discussion that centered mostly on you.


Wait a minute - I didn't ask the most important question - WHY were there naked mole rats on a billboard?

We drove by it again last night after going and seeing this crazy West African drummer - I meant to write it down but I didn't. It has something to do with whether or not they wished they were wearing ##### or something - I think it's an ad for the zoo.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Walking erect
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2004, 05:11:03 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
those assinine Calvin pissing on bumper stickers


when/why/how/what/who did those stickers come from, anyways?  i never remember calvin being such a dick in the comic.

My first impulse would be "because of a problem."
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Walking erect
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2004, 08:11:41 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
It was one of those assinine Calvin pissing on bumper stickers, but it was the bizarre alternate version where Calvin isn't pissing on anything actually, but is kneeling and praying before a cross.


Dear Christ.  I had been aware of the existence of that particular object.  I am not actually sure which is further from the Bill Watterson ethos, but either way I feel terribly sorry for the man and respect him very much for his persistant non-selling-out.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Walking erect
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2004, 08:34:27 pm »

Yeah, if you've ever seen Calvin & Hobbes merchandise, it was bootleg.  Watterson doesn't allow his characters to be used to sell cheap crap.

Unlike Onstad, who of course will put his doodles on anything to make a buck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up