Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking erect  (Read 20164 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2004, 03:26:50 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
It's like pretty much every other aspect of modern religious pop culture, which is basically a parody of secular pop culture.  Whatever you care to name; there is almost certainly a smarmy Christian alternative.


I had never really thought of this.  I'm Christian (though I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be), but I can't stand Christian pop culture.  Christian rock, fiction, and movies; basically anything that's not the theology turns me off.  And now that you've mentioned the trend, it's quite apparent.

Oddly, it mirrors the porn industry's tenacity for the same kind of parody.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2004, 04:49:36 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I had never really thought of this.  I'm Christian (though I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be), but I can't stand Christian pop culture.  Christian rock, fiction, and movies; basically anything that's not the theology turns me off.  And now that you've mentioned the trend, it's quite apparent.

Probably because so often the creators of the culture are ignorant of the theology/dogma. The actual facts* say the 6-day creation was just a metaphor and that anybody can get into heaven regardless of their religion but things like that get ignored by pop-culture. Either because they're inconvenient or the makers are just ignorant.

So we end up with lame preachy media that doesn't appeal to any sort of secular audience and misinforms its religious one. I guess that's why there's the stereotype of the moron-fanatic.

*as recognized by the church
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Walking erect
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2004, 05:09:02 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I had never really thought of this.  I'm Christian (though I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be), but I can't stand Christian pop culture.  Christian rock, fiction, and movies; basically anything that's not the theology turns me off.  And now that you've mentioned the trend, it's quite apparent.

Probably because so often the creators of the culture are ignorant of the theology/dogma. The actual facts* say the 6-day creation was just a metaphor and that anybody can get into heaven regardless of their religion but things like that get ignored by pop-culture. Either because they're inconvenient or the makers are just ignorant.

So we end up with lame preachy media that doesn't appeal to any sort of secular audience and misinforms its religious one. I guess that's why there's the stereotype of the moron-fanatic.

*as recognized by the church

Not to be too terribly picky, but I think some "The Church"es don't see things quite this way.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2004, 05:20:22 pm »

Hey! HEY! Don't make me fling this into the Study. You will now return to levity. Now.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2004, 05:28:36 pm »

New bumper sticker proposal:

How Would Jesus Park?
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2004, 08:21:55 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
New bumper sticker proposal:

How Would Jesus Park?


you are my short durational personal savior for the day, sir.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2004, 08:24:44 pm »

Let's not stop there.  How would Jesus drive?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2004, 08:54:37 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Let's not stop there.  How would Jesus drive?

Like an ass.

Oh, wait, sorry. On an ass.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Walking erect
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2004, 08:54:40 pm »

When and if I acquire a car, I'm totally making myself "How Would Jesus Drive?" and Luther peeing on the Pope. And I'm an agnostic.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Walking erect
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2004, 09:06:24 pm »

Come on, people...  We're never going to win the Most Wandering Thread Award if we bring this back to driving and parking.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2004, 09:16:44 pm »

Threads in the Lounge which wander too far are split.

I try to run a decently tight ship here. Don't take that away from me.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2004, 09:36:17 pm »

How Would Jesus Drive bumber stickers already exist; a friend of mine had one.


Just sayin, is all.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2004, 09:58:50 pm »

How Rusty is Jesus's Trombone?


I had a dream the other night of a tshirt design. A long-sleeved yellow baseball tee with navy or white sleeves would read on the front:

"Jesus fucked me"

and on the back:

"And He liked it"
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2004, 10:06:05 pm »

Criminy, that's kind of foul. Slightly funny, though.

I like the shirt that says something like



My name is M.C. Menses [on the front]

And my flow be Fresh [on the back]
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Walking erect
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2004, 10:08:36 pm »

That would be the last shirt on this page.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up