Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am racist. April 26, 2004.  (Read 2483 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lane

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 40
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lanemcfadden.net
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« on: April 26, 2004, 11:37:36 pm »

Sorry, I just wanted to start a thread.  I hope that you will consider,

your loyal reader,
me
Logged
He gets with the ladies, but in the end they do not like him.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 12:01:03 am »

I hate D'Nealian so freaking much. My mom has to teach that shit and it makes no sense. It's slanted backwards from cursive and just confuses kids who are barely able to print at that point anyway.

Why do we even teach cursive? It makes no sense.

Oh, and who's e-mailed Beef so far?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 12:57:27 am »

D'nealian is pure liquid hate, yes. I still write in, but only in my debased, horridly-scrawly version, and that's mostly to curse from afar the dread spectre of Mrs. Levison, my hateful third-grade teacher, who would regularly hand reading assignments back with letters I had to rewrite marked.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 01:15:22 am »

D'Nealian?  What?  I googled this, and realized that this is pretty much how I write even though I've never been taught it.  Is this some new thing?  Because it's new to me...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 01:18:21 am »

Slink, was that you with the explanation of "Cheers"?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 01:56:55 am »

I never heard of D'Nealian either. But my handwriting would suck no matter what manner of forced lettering system you tried to impose on me.

Mostly I just print fast and hook printed letters together.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 02:47:59 am »

D'Nealian was conceived as a way to link printing and cursive. The letters are mostly like print but slant top-left to bottom-right and have "tails" on them. Supposedly this makes the transition to cursive easier (although it slants the other way) since it's mostly just connecting the tails and adjust the weird letters like r and z.

Personally I think it's all insane. I think we should abolish cursive entirely. You can sign your name any way you want and you end up with a bunch of adults who can't print or write legibly.
Logged

Lane

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 40
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lanemcfadden.net
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 02:11:02 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
You can sign your name any way you want . . .


Indeed.  I found this amusing.
Logged
He gets with the ladies, but in the end they do not like him.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 02:49:16 pm »

Quote from: "Ray"
Dear Bad Flirt,

r_beef@achewood.com


This made me smile.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 03:25:21 pm »

Quote from: "Lane"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
You can sign your name any way you want . . .


Indeed.  I found this amusing.


I thought I was the only one who does that.  Yes, they usually never even bother to look.

But for the record, signing a credit slip is not for YOUR protection, but so that the store can prove you agreed to pay if you later dispute the charge.

So an X is always a good idea.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 04:33:32 pm »

I was originally referring to the fact that most schools say they require cursive so kids can learn to sign their names, but print or an X is still legally binding as long as it's consistently your signature.

The other issue with receipts is that if you claim you didn't buy $300 of CDs with you Visa last month then Visa will check the store receipt. If the signature is at least close then Visa eats the loss and everybody goes on with their lives. But if the signature doesn't match then the store owes Visa for the disputed merch. since, in theory, had the clerk checked the back of the card at the time the purchase would have been refused.
Logged

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 03:14:29 am »

best ray's place ever
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
I am racist. April 26, 2004.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 03:46:48 am »

Quote from: "palm trees"
best ray's place ever

Hmmm, I'd probably have to agree.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up