Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Banner Adds  (Read 3695 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Banner Adds
« on: April 28, 2004, 02:14:15 am »

Am I evil because, at first glance, I thought the "Asian Developing Nations: Fund Education for Girls in..." banner was an ad for porn?  

I have to admit, it did get my attention.  

I'm twisted, I know.  But I blame the Internet for corrupting my innocent mind.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Banner Adds
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 02:57:00 am »

Um, on this topic, has anybody else been getting a popup the first time they log on to the boards each day?  This has been happening since the weekend.  

Or is it just me?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Banner Adds
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 03:12:30 am »

I only use Firefox so no. But at work where I don't have an ad-blocker installed I've noticed more "public service" ads than regular ones.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Banner Adds
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 03:15:28 am »

This gets through my ad-blocker (Google toolbar).
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Banner Adds
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 10:17:04 am »

I am also getting the pop-ups when I didn't before and thought I had that stuff blocked.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Banner Adds
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 10:41:09 am »

I love you Firefox.
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Banner Adds
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 01:49:16 pm »

yes, i have been seeing a popup that "sliides" in from the left, some crap about winning something from sony. usually a click or two after logging into the board.

running- win98, ie6, google toolbar, spybots s & d immunized.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Banner Adds
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 02:30:27 pm »

Me too (at work only).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Banner Adds
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 02:57:01 pm »

Yes, there will be one pop-up and one "invue" ad, once a day, for the great unwashed to help foot the bill.  Those with ad blocking software won't see either.

It's just that the ol' tip jar has been collecting more spider-webs than tips lately.  Gotta keep the old joint running somehow.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Banner Adds
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 03:09:07 pm »

The lurking spouse refused to contribute to the tip jar when he saw he had to give you our real address.  I don't know why he doesn't trust my Internet friends.... I did sit there clicking on banner ads while watching TV for a while to try to make up for it.  Any chance you could change to Paypal?  Paypal is perfect because it's the best evilest invention ever for making you feel like you're not spending real money.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Banner Adds
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 03:25:49 pm »

I donate periodically (ok, only twice) but I have absolutely no problem at all with ads of any type keeping the board alive.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Banner Adds
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 03:44:35 pm »

I've been getting the pops, too -- because I have popup-blocking disabled for this site (on account of PMs).  It's one a day, no sweat.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Banner Adds
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 03:51:55 pm »

I have paypal:

paypal@jough.com

The Bob Talbot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Banner Adds
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 05:14:56 am »

I would give you some money but I donated my last 52 cents to some camwhore so she could buy more lingerie.

I am so sorry.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up