Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Variety Hour for Aug 7th  (Read 20637 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
yeah......
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 05:10:10 pm »

.....that........... wasn't funny.   Although now I am all anxious about whether it is being meta-lame or a postmodern commentary on bad humour or whether it just sucks.  This needs to be settled somehow.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2003, 05:17:17 pm »

Liked Ray's theme song and theWill Smith line.  The rest = meh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Kelly

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/kviva59/Artworks_by_Kelly_Vivanco.html
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2003, 05:25:16 pm »

I was giving this 'variety hour' thing a chance, but if it gets worse than this, I am sending flowers.

I really hope this isn't the beginning of the death flop, or death rattle or senile dementia or a 'regrouping of 'chaps' from my ole college days'...

never mind me. I am just in withdrawl from the Achewood strippery I LOVE SO MUCH.

::weeps without pause::
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2003, 05:58:27 pm »

Pfeh.  You people will apparently never be satisfied.  I liked the song.  I will probably use the phrase "You should have been clothes!" in conversation without even realizing it.

CAN YOU LET THE MAN DO HIS THING FOR A LITTLE WHILE

OR IS IT TIME TO BE DWEEBS
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

Kelly

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/kviva59/Artworks_by_Kelly_Vivanco.html
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2003, 06:07:28 pm »

Hey, I complained when Charles Shultz started doing his strips in color. TOO DISTRACTING, THIS WORLD IN COLOR. Hurts my eyes, it does.


Dweeb, I am. Know I.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2003, 06:12:39 pm »

Kelly, you could not be a dweeb.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2003, 06:20:58 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
And I swear he's been changing this thing today. I really don't remember the sex part being there this morning, or the Ron Jeremy line being there the first time I looked. I'm going crazy!


You're right.  He's changing it.  The title now includes the phrase "To be culled from stock footage."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2003, 06:28:43 pm »

Quote from: "Kelly"

Dweeb, I am. Know I.


You've been studying Japanese word order haven't you?

I have to say I was mildly disappointed. i did enjoy some of the lyrics of the song now I've listened to it.
I'm still gonna give him a month/month and a half tops to see how it turns out and if I start enjoying it &c.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2003, 06:29:30 pm »

I haven't downloaded the MP3 yet, but I know that the Milwaukee Youth Center Choir is at least a band that exists somewhere other than Onstad's head. They intermittently do stuff on Songfight, and I'm of the opinion that they're pretty good.

Anyway... that said, I think this Variety Hour was an improvement over the first one, but not by all that much. The Whipping Zoo had its moments but didn't fit well with the tone of Achewood; it was sort of too nasty and trite. I agree with JL and Cort that it would have made a better Brunching article. The Sexual Metaphors... almost got there, but somehow they didn't quite make it and ended with a whimper.

Overall, not entirely lame, but still really not particularly good. I'll still give Onstad more time to get his footing.
Logged

I Am Not Creative

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/scirillo
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2003, 07:09:28 pm »

I liked the first Variety Hour ... but was not too thrilled with this one. I don't intend to download the song and I didn't read anything but the last item (well, I skimmed the other thing).

And Jon, say what you will, but there is no reason for Onstad to do this stuff if it doesn't please his readers. It may be an indie art statment to do eclectic pieces on the Internet that nobody reads, but that seems to be an awful lot of work for nothing. The sad thing about this is that we all know that Chris can do a lot better than this. He isn't Indie Comic Chris, with no talent to back it up.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2003, 08:12:37 pm »

Quote from: "I Am Not Creative"
And Jon, say what you will, but there is no reason for Onstad to do this stuff if it doesn't please his readers.

It pleased me.  I simply take issue with the apparent fact that we can't let this man have what might be construed as an "off" day even once.  And that's a big "might be" -- I, for one, liked it.  And I still balk at broadcasting sweeping general statements about the Variety Hour in general after only its second installment.

Comic Book Guy: Last night's "Itchy & Scratchy" was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever.  Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.
Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?
CBG: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart: What?  They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free.  What could they possibly owe you?  If anything, you owe them.
CBG: [pauses] Worst episode ever.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2003, 08:24:37 pm »

Yes, but j, you have to realize that you're speaking (writing) to seventy five Comic Book Guys.  And me.  

Remember your audience.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2003, 08:48:36 pm »

The Grand High List of the Purposes of the Internet:

[list=1][*]Porn
[*]Bitching about everything (literally) anonymously without any right too
[*]Mapquest
[*]Downloading entertainment for free
[*]Other entertainment, news, research, misc[/list:o]
Logged

The Wonderous Me

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2003, 08:59:08 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
The Grand High List of the Purposes of the Internet:

[list=1]
  • Porn
  • Bitching about everything (literally) anonymously without any right too
  • Mapquest
  • Downloading entertainment for free
  • Other entertainment, news, research, misc[/list:o]
You forgot the purpose to waist countless hours of valuable business resources/time as we do this from work!
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2003, 09:18:41 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Yes, but j, you have to realize that you're speaking (writing) to seventy five Comic Book Guys.  And me.  

Remember your audience.

I am constantly striving for the improvement of the internet at large.  ^_^

"Discourse Stu likes discourse theory!"
- also stolen from the internet
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up