Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Variety Hour for Aug 7th  (Read 20630 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2003, 04:51:45 am »

It's El Guapo's Cavalcade of Linguistic Mystery!

What will it be next? "and?" "or?" "but?" That Dumbrella favorite, "*****?"

Oh, the anticipation!
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2003, 04:53:11 am »

Heh. Miss Pissy.

Oh, I'm BLISTER now.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

monkeyb

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2003, 04:57:01 am »

congrats.
Enjoy the heady heights of Blister infamy while you can.
Logged
Beware the killer ***** armies of a woman scorned...

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
variety
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2003, 04:57:35 am »

The Dumbrellates are ripping today’s Achewood. Onstad is falling out of favor there. I thought there was some deeper bond between all the Dumbrella artists other than sharing a message board. Maybe there’s not.

This week’s variety hour:

The song: to me it was weak.

Whipping zoo: nice, reminded me of the Belated Christmas strip with its juxtaposition of sentimentality and violence. But cartoonists should show not tell.

Visual euphemisms: otherwise known as sight gags, which I can’t stomach, whether done by “Austin Powers” or any other lame-ass shit.

Should Onstad be doing these variety pieces instead of a daily comic? I think it’s lazy.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

monkeyb

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2003, 05:06:56 am »

I have to agree, it's lazy. Along with the closing of the old board, it seems to indicate that Ontad is losing his affinity/affection for his characters and the Achewood world.
Which is why I think he needs a break to refresh. Hell,let someone else take over for a couple of months,do reader art,whatever. Though the celebrated
jldunston mentioned that Onstad is a control freak, so that could be difficult for him.
Logged
Beware the killer ***** armies of a woman scorned...

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2003, 05:13:00 am »

Or, just plain ol' take a vacation.  Achewood by anybody else wouldn't be Achewood.

Although, I must say that I've found the recent strips (when they appear) excellent.  I mean, Nightlife Mingus?  Wonderful.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2003, 05:22:51 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Or, just plain ol' take a vacation.  Achewood by anybody else wouldn't be Achewood.

Yes. As high-quality as the guest week-plus was, most of that was because of the novelty; say, three months of "guest week" would start to get old.

I guess that's something that worries me about the "Fit Fifteen" element of the Variety Hour; it's basically a regular guest feature taking the place of normal Achewood. That, and if it's based on Onstad's old college humor-magazine cronies, there's immense potential for lack of quality control, but that's a whole different can of worms...
Logged

Schabe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
    • http://www.automatictaxistop.com/schabe
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2003, 03:39:19 pm »

Is it time to ask for a new messageboard yet?

That will solve everything!
Logged
"Wish I was as cool as Calvin / This sort of thing wouldn't bother me" - TMJ

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2003, 04:38:17 pm »

Quote from: "Schabe"
Is it time to ask for a new messageboard yet?

That will solve everything!


Apparently you've confused "a new message board" with "large volumes of alcohol." A common mistake.

Now if you've excuse me, I'm going to run to the bar a attempt to solve everything.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2003, 05:54:50 pm »

I had this brilliant dream where every tiny thing a particular artist did or did not do wasn't analyzed to the point where all of the joy was sucked out of it, leaving behind a withered, dried husk of a thing that was really only meant to amuse and entertain people.  Then I woke up and wept bitter, salty tears.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2003, 05:59:47 pm »

Gee Gear, J.  When did you get so jaded?  

(Ferociously J-ded, I would even say!)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2003, 06:08:49 pm »

To me, a thing like Achewood is somebody coming up to me and saying "Here.  Here is a thing I have made.  I hope it gives you some entertainment, maybe injects a little spontaneous joy into your life."  He's not really asking for anything else.*  I, for one, am content to accept what I have been given gratefully, because it does exactly that, i.e. entertains me/injects a little spontaneous joy into my life.  I like to talk about it, maybe even speculate a little about, for example, which of the Achewood cast we might want to go on a road trip with, or where.  But any further sort of "Well I think this is what he's doing" or "He needs to do this" or, most prominently, "This thing sucks," is either a waste of time, counterproductive, or just plain bitchy.  I reserve the right to point this out from time to time, just because we need some kind of dissenting voice.  ^_^

* Whether we buy his merchandise, for instance, is entirely dependent on our enjoyment of the thing that is being offered.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

StingRay Fred

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2003, 08:04:10 pm »

But if a child came up to you and said "Hello, I made this for you.  I hope you find it fun," and hands you a jar of their own feces, must you find it fun because they made it?
There are a lot of things that are "free" such as commercials, tv shows, music on the radio, etc.  But just because someone made it doesn't mean I have to like it.  It also doesn't mean I can't voice my displeasure about it.
If all anyone on the old Achewood board ever talked about was who they would like to go on a road-trip with, and never discussed the fact that they did/did not like to see Ray in every single strip; and then one day everyone stopped going to visit Achewood and stopped visiting the boards, and stopped buying hoodies because of the Ray-centric strips, wouldn't Mr. Onstad like to know about it?  Wouldn't you feel obligated to let him know what keeps you away from the site and possibly buying merchandise?  Or must everything be rainbows and pony rides as his livelihood goes under?
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Variety Hour for Aug 7th
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2003, 08:11:32 pm »

Quote from: "StingRay Fred"
But if a child came up to you and said "Hello, I made this for you.  I hope you find it fun," and hands you a jar of their own feces, must you find it fun because they made it?

Obviously not.  I never said the mere act of creating something automatically validates it.  I find Achewood fun because it's good, not solely because of its status as a created work.

Quote from: "StingRay Fred"
Wouldn't you feel obligated to let him know what keeps you away from the site and possibly buying merchandise?  Or must everything be rainbows and pony rides as his livelihood goes under?

This argument is also ridiculous.  Onstad doesn't even read this board.

Look; you can like what you like and hate what you hate.  I simply fail to see the usefulness in constantly bitching about scheduling or pointing out things that you think sucked.  Congratulations: You're an asshole.

[edit: That came this close to being a Wraithstyle post.]
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

The Wonderous Me

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
silly argument
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2003, 08:18:40 pm »

So, by your logic if I post my opinion of onstad's work in a free, artistic form that you cannot dislike it or complain about it as it's free and I did not ask for your input??  hmm.. now to make this artistic roses aren't blueviolets are violet.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up