Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent ticket purchases  (Read 5570 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2004, 06:40:47 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Oh, and I think you missed the boat on Polyphonic Spree.  They're not so good, but they're a LOT of fun live.  There's about a thousand of them, so just seeing them all take a small stage is worth the price of admission.


Agreed.  I found the best part about watching them live was seeing the audience's reaction change.  When they were all piling out like white-robed lemmings, my friends and I were among a very few who were cheering, as most people seemed to have no idea what was going on.  But they got a standing ovation at the end of their set.  I had thought they were super lame before I saw them live, but now I've been won over.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2004, 06:55:48 pm »

I'm just still bitter and pissed off that my brother offering me a friends John Cale ticket five days prior to the gig didn't pay off. Couldn't get hold of the guy whose ticket it was to get it.
And it was really good too.

All this after I almost got my brother to buy tickets for him the year we saw Orbital at the fringe. So close... Twice.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 07:13:51 pm »

I saw Fugazi once back in the day when they played this tiny tiny little club in D.C. and me and my friend were among the 25 people there.

Great show, though.

And I also was so close while seeing Yo-Yo Ma at the Academy of Music (Philadelphia) that I could tell what time it was by reading his watch from my seat.

Good times.

And not that any of you will know who he is, but one of the best performances I've ever seen was Eric Johnson at a smallish jazz club.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004, 08:03:26 pm »

Aw man. I been listening to 13 songs so much lately. I'd have loved to have seen them back in the day. And I am also now bitter 'cause I was so close to seeing Yo Yo Ma in Amsterdam when I was over there last.

I think Fugazi back then are almost onto the top ten gigs I wish I'd seen. Violent Femmes way back are probably on the list too. Kyuss are, QotSA with Grohl is there but I did see them with Lanegan which was almost as fine.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004, 08:11:35 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
And not that any of you will know who he is, but one of the best performances I've ever seen was Eric Johnson at a smallish jazz club.


The Texan knows Eric Johnson, but he's not really a fan.  His music it soo sterile.  He's like a poor mans Joe Satriani.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2004, 08:13:02 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I think Fugazi back then are almost onto the top ten gigs I wish I'd seen.


Yeah, I saw them a year ago or so; the really sad part is thus:
Everyone was having a really good time, and McKaye gave this little speech about how punk is sometimes about doing stupid things and having fun. Then, during the next song, somebody stage-dives, and McKaye stops the whole show for about 5 minutes to bitch this guy out about how he could have hurt somebody. It was then I realized that age makes people lame. Other than that, the show was awesome, mainly for the line-up: the Rachel's, My Morning Jacket, Fugazi. Double yewww. Teeee. Efffff.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2004, 08:15:37 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "slink"
I think Fugazi back then are almost onto the top ten gigs I wish I'd seen.


Yeah, I saw them a year ago or so; the really sad part is thus:
Everyone was having a really good time, and McKaye gave this little speech about how punk is sometimes about doing stupid things and having fun. Then, during the next song, somebody stage-dives, and McKaye stops the whole show for about 5 minutes to bitch this guy out about how he could have hurt somebody. It was then I realized that age makes people lame. Other than that, the show was awesome, mainly for the line-up: the Rachel's, My Morning Jacket, Fugazi. Double yewww. Teeee. Efffff.


Please don't start the old people are lame, young people are stupid debate.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2004, 08:19:14 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Please don't start the old people are lame, young people are stupid debate.

Ha, no, the coolest people I know are well into their fourties, although that's not really that old. I'd like to think it's just Ian McKaye.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2004, 11:51:17 pm »

Fugazi's a band that would have been better if they all suicided about ten years ago.

We could have remembered them before they started to suck.

I think that's the appeal of Joy Division for me - live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2004, 12:35:28 am »

There's a Punk Planet interview (not that I, uh, know about that kind of stuff) that excellently showcases the deterioration of Ian McKaye.  

Quote from: "jough"
I think that's the appeal of Joy Division for me - live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse.


Ian Curtis and about a million others.  Isn't that just how music works?
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2004, 12:39:18 am »

Quote from: "jough"
And not that any of you will know who he is, but one of the best performances I've ever seen was Eric Johnson at a smallish jazz club.

Why do you say things like this?

Not that any of you know who he is, but I was in the sixth row for SRV and Joe Cocker, and after Joe's set the security thugs pulled out and we ran up to the stage and I was about three feet away from the man. Little pieces of his picks were showering me. It was like touching God.

Also, I had A Via Musicon or whatever the hell it's called when it came out. It's ok.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2004, 03:26:04 am »

I'm way outta my league in any music discussion on this board, but I would like to share my seeing a famous musician in a tiny club story.

In 1985 a buddy and I spent 6 weeks in Europe riding the trains around.  We went and visited a good friend of mine in Germany -- he had been an exchange student and lived near the town of Detmold, which near Hamlein (as in Pied Piper of...)  Jonathan Richman was playing a bar in Detmold one of the two nights we were there.  There were maybe 20 people in the place and we were the only Americans.  I hesitate to say that we were the only English speakers, but Jonathon started BS'ing back and forth with us from the stage.  We got to talk to him after the show for about 10 minutes.  Extremely nice guy.

We saw him again a few nights later in Amsterdam, but it wasn't the same.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2004, 03:31:47 am »

Quote from: "jough"
And not that any of you will know who he is, but one of the best performances I've ever seen was Eric Johnson at a smallish jazz club.


I sat about six feet from Eric Johnson at the The Bottom Line in NYC in the summer of 1990, and pretty much stopped playing guitar for a few years afterwards.  He was the only musician I've ever seen where it seemed at though the hand of God had reached down and touched him on the forehead.

I was also baked like a haddock, but we won't get into that.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2004, 05:50:16 am »

I don't think it was the drugs - he really does play as though the hand of god were reaching down and playing his guitar.

At least, he did.  Man, that follow-up to Ah Via Musicom really sucked.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Recent ticket purchases
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2004, 01:21:41 pm »

I saw Fugazi...lessee, must have been 1992 or so, at a small club in Lancaster, PA.  Great freakin' show.  I also saw them at the amphitheatre at the Washington Monument (free show)! 1995-ish.

We owe you nothing.  You have no control.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up