Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: And so anyway, back to the Anime...  (Read 5549 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« on: May 03, 2004, 03:52:22 pm »

I just watched what is, most indisputably, the most beautiful film ever!
It's an all Korean anime, one of the few, by a guy who's done work for the Japanese studios before (Korea being the biggest colourists ('your mother's a tracer')) and ads.
Anyway, it's quite odd. I can't say I was expecting any of what I saw, but then I never actually remembered the synopsis any time I read time.
It reminded me of a few things in places, but not derivatively:
Evangelion - which I never really got into, but it has some similarities such as  some of the stylings for the company.
Trigun - the dystopian world, and the relationship of Shua and Jay.
Castle in the Sky - the weirdness of the last 10 minutes reminded me of the end section of Laputa (or Castle in the Sky thanks to Spanish), though again, not in a derivative way, just strong similarities. Any way I say it sounds bad...
There were even sections that made me think of City of Lost Children, which is certainly a sign of the strength of design and artwork in it.
While the plot is a bit odd, and possibly rambles slightly, I was taken with it. Oh yes, bits of it reminded me of Logan's Run too. I was taken with it in terms of it's way of looking at the utopian world - like a good old sci-fi movie! And like I say the artwork just kicks eleventy kinds of ass.

Basically, it's just fuck*ng stunning - I may have to go watch the intro credits again... They were nice.

imdb
Official site - or as much of it as you get in English!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 04:04:44 pm »

Looks pretty good (word is the Korean scene is about to explode). Back on the island, Have you seen Texhnolyze yet? Quite diggable.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 04:47:58 pm »

Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Have you seen Texhnolyze yet? Quite diggable.


Fucker. Just what I needed was another one to buy!
Nah, haven't seen anything about that but it does look rather nice, and MadHouse are one of the top three or four studios over there  as far as I'm concerned. Definitely have to take a look at it.

Have you seen Last Exile before? Amazon are trying to sell me it and it does look like it could be reather nice actually.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 04:59:47 pm »

I just showed a friend a copy of Vampire Hunter D.  It was the first anime he'd seen (discounting an unfortunate bit of hentai someone had shown him).  The odd thing is that D was the first anime film I'd ever seen, and one of the first the video store guy had seen.  This makes me wonder.  Is the guy with the impossibly large hat and the disturbing face on his hand some sort of geek rite of passage?
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 05:16:31 pm »

Umm. Guess who hasn't seen D yet. Or any of his friends.
Maybe it's a national thing. I started out with Akira in the 80's.

It has been on my list for a time, but I am still collecting a couple of series before buying anything else. I only got round to getting Wonderful Days 'cause my brother picked me up one of the Limited Edition sets.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 05:42:15 pm »

I am also a bad person who has not seen D. I'm from that crop of anime fans who got swallowed up by Cowboy Bebop.

I haven't seen Last Exile yet but I've been hearing great things about it. Kino's Journey is my other big fave from this year so far (if you're down with slow pacing and allegory).

"Fucker. Just what I needed was another one to buy!"

The rental service Greencine has saved me soooo much money in the past year (dunno if the UK has anything similar). US people: tons of anime, independent film, deep catalog foreign and experimental, all the candy. Downside: the farther you are from the west coast, the slower the ship times (only one distribution point at this time). Here in Michigan we get about a 3-4 day turn around time (compared to 1-2 days for Netflix, which has a warehouse in Grand Rapids).
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

V-Adore

  • Guest
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 06:03:15 pm »

D wasn't my first anime (that was, ill-advisedly enough, Ninja Scroll), but I was there at a public screening of D for our high-school Sci-Fi Club that no doubt popped a few people's cherries. It was also accompanied by the monotonous narration of the "good parts" by the owner of the tape, but hey, in every viewing a little rain must fall.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 08:31:50 pm »

I was following the journalist's handbook, where three occurances automatically make a trend.  My mistake.  I did also catch Akira and Ninja Scroll early on.  Akira I still think of as the quintessential anime film.  I had the soundtrack for a while.  It especially rocked.  I keep meaning to see Cowboy Bebop.  I always hear good things about it.  I'm kind of a casual fan, so I haven't heard of most of the titles you guys mention.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 08:59:56 pm »

I saw D first. I think it was an age thing, I think. Cartoon Network showed it fairly often, as did Sci-Fi and even TBS (late at night). So lots of twenty-somethings saw it surfing after SNL. And let's face it, most otaku would probably be home just watching TV on a Saturday in middle/high school.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 09:23:21 pm »

Ummm, I just bought Futurama season 3.

Hey guys, where are you going?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 10:52:50 pm »

Yeah, Futurama Season 3 just arrived here today too, along with Kung Fu: Season 1.

That combination is kinda like animé.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 03:09:08 pm »

Vampire Hunter D and Akira both got enough penetration into science-fiction fandom to be a lot of people's first anime in a certain timeframe. I think it's the big wave between the *****ech-induced wave and the Sailor Moon-induced wave, but I may easily have the order wrong.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 03:18:52 pm »

Man, there sure are a lot of propeller beanies in this room.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 03:32:12 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
Vampire Hunter D and Akira both got enough penetration into science-fiction fandom to be a lot of people's first anime in a certain timeframe. I think it's the big wave between the *****ech-induced wave and the Sailor Moon-induced wave, but I may easily have the order wrong.


No that sounds about right.  The older kids liked *****ech, and the younger kids liked the the Sailors.  Meanwhile my gang was trying to figure out what amoeba had to do with psychokinesis.

Psychokinesis is pretty much telekinesis plus yelling.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
And so anyway, back to the Anime...
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 04:41:17 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Psychokinesis is pretty much telekinesis plus yelling.

See number 44.

There was also a lot of stuff that people didn't realize was anime when they were first watching it. Kimba, Voltron, Speed Racer, etc.

I've had several friends who wrote off anime after seeing Akira then Princess Monoke because they thought it all involved evil consuming blobs for some reason.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up