Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004  (Read 8085 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2004, 09:25:53 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "jough"
Mad World


My stars, yes.  Also, the cover of the 45 of this that I have is the Best Thing Ever.  They are all dressed in black, all staring moodily at ducks.  It rocks.  I am very sad that the Internet is not finding me a picture of it.




That's from eBay - and it's for sale.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2004, 10:03:38 pm »

Well, I knew it would come up eventually. *sigh*



BECAUSE MEEEEAAAT IS MURDERRRR!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2004, 10:32:10 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Um, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go is awesome.

Man, Slink, you just don't know what good is.


I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I was hoping it would be said.  And many thanks for finding that picture.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2004, 10:42:47 pm »

Jitterbug! <snap> <snap> Jitterbug!

What about Fine Young Cannibals! Crowded House! Wang Chung!

Actually, I loved all that British and European stuff back then (Rock Me, Amadeus!!) but looking back, I was blinded by the not-Americanness of it.

Lies Lies Lies Yeah! Lies Lies Lies Yeah!

I mean, we were coming out of Disco. There were a few guitar bands rocking away but the pop landscape was ripe for an invasion and we were ready to embrace all those moody,edgy Brits with the spiky hair and nifty accents. It was a nice day for a white wedding, after all.

I can't believe it! She's done it again! She's tidied up, and now I can't find ANYTHING!

SCIENCE!

The music, taken on it's own merits, was pretty poppy and throwaway in large part.  There were more one-hit wonders in the 80s, I am sure, than any other era of music. But it filled a need and I don't wanna hear nobody say nothin bad about 99 Luftballoons. Brings a tear to my eye, it does.

(American attempts, Debbie Gibson, Martika, and Tiffany all SUCKED. We needed all that import stuff to have SOMETHING to listen to).
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2004, 11:08:15 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
But it filled a need and I don't wanna hear nobody say nothin bad about 99 Luftballoons. Brings a tear to my eye, it does.


Well, who could. That was another one on the list of greats. Along with say, Kids in America by Kim Wilde. There were a few, and most of them were groups who had one OK song that has kind of achieved greatness. Some of those songs were great however.

And that's not even getting onto English Beat and The Specials and shit. They were infinitely better than the plain old pop. And, see, when talking the 80s there were a remarkable amount of things of utter greatness, like Violent Femmes, Faith No More and NIN.
I guess it's that I have an intangible barrier laid down between the numerous shit bands, the ones who had a good song or two and thus are cool, and the truly great but still very 80s bands.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2004, 11:43:10 pm »

I would attempt to wade through and actually pull quotes and cites, but I'm woozy. Allow me to just say this:

99 Luftballoons/99 Red Balloons, Kids in America, and the entire Thomas Dolby catalog are basically like treasure, and I will hear no maligning of them.

Not that there was really any going on, but there. I have spoken.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2004, 11:49:07 pm »

And if you haven't been to the one-hit wonders room at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, being in that room is basically like treasure.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2004, 01:31:01 am »

Crowded House, Tim and Neil, and Split Enz all rule.

And don't act like you don't get all choked up when you hear "Careless Whisper" because you do, and you know you do. You can lie to me, but don't lie to yourself.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2004, 01:57:21 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would attempt to wade through and actually pull quotes and cites, but I'm woozy. Allow me to just say this:

99 Luftballoons/99 Red Balloons, Kids in America, and the entire Thomas Dolby catalog are basically like treasure, and I will hear no maligning of them.

Not that there was really any going on, but there. I have spoken.


I once knew a fellow who could play 99 luftballons on his accordion.  Also, he could play 8675309 Jenny and some other 80's hit's that escape me right now.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2004, 01:59:48 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
What about Depeche Mode?


Them too.
Duran Duran, Gary Numan, Joy Division (I think they were English, I can't remember) and Tears for Fears are all allowed off for the classics they wrote.


WHAM!


Nope.  How about Men Without Hats?  You can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind!  You can dance.  You can dance.  Everyone's out of control!

The Saftey Dance is definitely hella sweet.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2004, 02:25:34 am »

DOMO ARIGATO MR. *****O
HIMITSU WO SHIRI TAI!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2004, 02:36:27 am »

Quote from: "jough"
DOMO ARIGATO MR. *****O
HIMITSU WO SHIRI TAI!


Props on the correct romanji.
Also, that song will forever be associated in my mind with my best friend, who I was dating at the time, dressing up in a homemade cardboard ***** costume to do karaeoke in front of the school right before my other friend did a 99 Red Balloons/ MC Hawking medley for her act.  
My friends are neat.
So are the 80's, and I would that I remembered them.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2004, 07:43:35 pm »

Quote from: "Mantonio"


The Safety Dance is definitely hella sweet.


Although perhaps the dumbest video ever made. By a guy in a cape with a RENFAIR bumper sticker no doubt.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2004, 12:02:10 am »

Oh, and don't forget A-ha, better known as the band that made Chucklebot gay.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
These guitar notes are so good dude- 10th (8th?) of May,2004
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2004, 12:39:59 am »

I thought the Pet Shop Boys did that to him.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up