Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?  (Read 9877 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« on: May 11, 2004, 11:18:58 pm »

So, after three years of marriage, Pedro has finally worn me down.  I've finally agreed to a once-monthly "movie night."  As background for those of you just tuning in (or otherwise not paying attention), I don't watch movies.  I rarely have the patience to sit in once place for two hours at a time to watch pretty lights flash by on a screen and have nothing to show for it at the end.  (This message board is different, I tell you.)  But, because Pedro has convinced me that I'm missing out on a major part of the world's culture by ignoring the film industry wholesale, I've agreed to embark on this journey of self-improvement by sitting in a dark room once every four weeks.  Hence, I humbly place myself in y'all's capable hands.  What movies must I watch in order to become a well-rounded, less boring individual?  

Of the few movies I have seen, my favorites include:

Blade Runner
The LOTR Trilogy (of course)
Wag the Dog
The Usual Suspects
The Matrix (Although I am currently pretending that the other two didn't happen.)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Desperado
True Lies
Fight Club
The Edge

So, I like movies with blood, violence and/or politics, intrigue and suspense; explosions and humour are pluses, and rugged, unshaven heroes (think Aragorn, not Frodo) and/or Salma Hayak's boobies are appreciated but not required.  

Pedro, meanwhile, likes movies with good guys who are truly good and bad guys who are truly bad.  He likes seeing the underdog prevail against all odds and get the girl in the end.  He likes neat ideas that are excecuted well.  His favorites: Casablanca, Rocky IV, Die Hard, Groundhog Day, Unforgiven, A New Hope (that's Star Wars to you and me).  

That said, we're taking suggestions.  Movies similar to the ones I've described are welcome, as they're the ones likely to get watched first.  However, we're also looking to expand our horizons, so if there are some offbeat films you geekier film geeks can suggest (we also liked The City of Lost Children) we'd be open to those as well.  Please limit you suggestions to films currently available on VHS or DVD, since I also promised a separate night once a month to go to the theatre.  (What did I get myself into?)  

So, open season.  Blast away.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:38:18 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I don't watch movies.  I rarely have the patience to sit in once place for two hours at a time to watch pretty lights flash by on a screen and have nothing to show for it at the end.  (This message board is different, I tell you.)  


I just wanted to thank you for letting me know that somewhere in this world there is at least one other person aside from me who feels this way. Of course, this means I am useless for offering any suggestions in answer to your request.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:47:21 pm »

I consider Citizen Kane to be absolutely essential, but it really doesn't fit either of your categories, since the explosions are basically nonexistent and all the characters are quite flawed. Nonetheless, it is perhaps the finest film ever made and deserves your love. Otherwise, I'm fairly uncertain; my tastes in explodey films leaves a lot to be desired (I still love The Fifth Element and enjoyed Tank Girl, for example), so I'll think of something I like that is not repulsive to others.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:52:45 pm »

Regardless of your criteria you should really make an effort to see The Manchurian Candidate in it's original black and white form. It's awesome.

The Original Cape Fear is also really good.

I'm in a weird moving-suggesting mood today it seems.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 12:08:16 am »

Memento
The Spanish Prisoner
El Mariachi
The original Italian Job
Dr. Strangelove
Logged

pierced lemur

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 12:48:57 am »

Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter

It's got action -- it's got intrigue. A bit hard to find, but a great homage to the B-Movie genre.

Even more so, you need to watch the Evil Dead trilogy. The first is not as necessary, but the second is a great horror film, and the third combines it with some great comedy. Also, Bruce Campbell kicks ass.
Hard.
Logged
Many ladies wake to but single rose and and click of the closink door.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 01:16:38 am »

Lawrence of Arabia
Patton
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Animal House
Godfather I and II
Apocolypse Now
Goodfellas
Pulp fuckin' Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
The Stoned Age
The Manchurian Candidate
Repo Man
Slaughterhouse Five
2001
A Clockwork Orange
Barton Fink
Fargo
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Conversation
Little Big Man (also an excellent book)
Alien
Brazil
The giraffeer King
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Life of Brian
The Outlaw Josey Wales


off the top of my head...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 01:34:52 am »

Yeah, what he said - all good, and by the time you get through those and one per month, we'll all be long gone anyway.
You wouldn't be far wrong seeing all Coen Bros and all Tarantino to start.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 01:44:08 am »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot --

Bloodsucking Freaks.  

It's a heartwarming, brain devouring experience.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 02:00:40 am »

Quote
Citizen Kane
Memento
The Spanish Prisoner
El Mariachi
Godfather I
Dr. Strangelove
Young Frankenstein
Monty Python and the Holy Grail


All these films, we've seen and either liked or loved.  All very, very good suggestions.  

Quote
Evil Dead
Alien


I forgot to add one caveat: I cannot watch horror films.  I'm a total pansy and they give me nightmares.  Blood, gore, violence, etc. are fine -- but people hurting other people for fun and creepy, easily disguised monsters bent on our destruction are taboo.  For pete's sake, I had nightmares after Blade 2.  So go easy on the horror.  

I know, that rules out, like, 80% of the stuff y'all were going to suggest.  Sorry.  

Also, stuff that's been floating around my head for a while, that y'all reminded me of:
Quote

Apocolypse Now
A Clockwork Orange (in spite of it's scariness, I'm determined to see it)


Meanwhile, I'm amazed at the number of films you've deemed essential that I havent even heard of.  Holy Moses!  I live under a rock!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 02:14:48 am »

Black Rain
Chinatown
Goodfellas
Donnie Brasco
Batman (Tim Burton - ignore all sequels)
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Galaxy Quest


Strangely, only the last really fits into your criteria. The rest are full of intrigue (save Batman) and action (save Goodfellas) and fantastic performances all around. I'll wait until you've cleared through the queue you're building right now to suggest more.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 02:18:12 am »

It sounds like you're not looking for a film education as much as you just want something interesting to watch once a month.

To that end, I'll suggest less "challenging" films (i.e. those that are important art but not necessarily the most entertaining) other than one, which is both challenging AND entertaining:

8 1/2

Don't let the fact that it's in B&W and in Italian throw you - it's all about the visuals, which are stunning.

And JL, aren't you one to sit in one place and play video games (and eat bon-bons) all day?

Anyway, here are some more quick suggestions, based on what I think you'd like based on your list above:

Adaptation
The Sweet Hereafter
House of Games
The Spanish Prisoner
Panic Room
The Game
Magnolia
Boogie Nights
E.T.
Dark City
Singin' in the Rain
Once Upon a Time in the West
Changing Lanes
The Big Lebowski
Ocean's 11 (2001)
The Italian Job (1969)
Minority Report
Solaris (2002)

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 02:53:17 am »

I've got nothing-- all the recommendations that I'd have that would fit your criteria have already been named, and my taste seems to be diametrically opposed to yours.  Cf. me liking Koyaanisqatsi.
I'm pretentious that way.  But of the recommendations thus far, I'd most second Blade Runner.  It's one of my favourites, and it's aesthetically pleasing as well as exciting and such.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2004, 03:18:37 am »

Yeah, definitely Chinatown.
Tampopo
True Stories
Swimming to Cambodia
The Blues Brothers
Fletch
True Stories
The Hudsucker Proxy
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Outland
Lethal Weapon I and II
Harold and Maude
Slacker
I, Claudius (not really a movie, just the greatest mini-series evar!)
The Cowboys
The Sting
The Birds
Psycho
North by Northwest
His Gal Friday
The Apartment
Highlander (but ONLY the first one)
The Man Who Would be King (This should have been high on the first list)
The Name of the Rose
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Sleeper
The Big Brawl
PCU
Mad Max
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
The French Connection
Tommy


OK, I know I'm going overboard here and just listing movies that I like.  But a) so what and b) I thought it could be useful as a list of things to keep an eye out for on TV.  Some of these show up regularly.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 04:54:41 am »

Raising Arizona
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Royal Tenenbaums
Dazed and Confused
For A Few Dollars More
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Duck Soup
The Seven Samurai
L'Age D'or

and, of course - Dolemite II: The Human Tornado

Aliens is pretty much tied with Citizen Kane as my favorite movie ever, but if you're squeamish...
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up