Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?  (Read 9916 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2004, 11:05:35 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
that's like telling someone to pass over Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons for Chimes at Midnight.  Come on.

Honestly? For someone in JL's position of being a movie neophyte not instantly engaged by the medium, I would be exceptionally leery about recommending Ambersons. Is it a great movie? Fuck yes. Is it a remarkably difficult movie to appreciate fully and interpret in the light of the studio's butchering? Damn straight it is. It's a must-see, but I'd definitely recommend Kane and possibly even Chimes first, just to give her something resembling a toolkit for the movie.

But Kane she should see.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Movies that must be seen...
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2004, 02:49:34 am »

Movies that must be seen...

Pretty much all of them, OK...

Otherwise they're just ineffective radio shows.

It's a visual medium, doncha know.  If you don't see a movie you're missing most of art.  Have I belabored this lame joke long enough yet?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies that must be seen...
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2004, 02:52:15 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Movies that must be seen...

Pretty much all of them, OK...

Otherwise they're just ineffective radio shows.

It's a visual medium, doncha know.  If you don't see a movie you're missing most of art.  Have I belabored this lame joke long enough yet?


Except maybe The Miracle Worker.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Re: Movies that must be seen...
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2004, 12:39:59 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Movies that must be seen...

Pretty much all of them, OK...



Derek Jarman's Blue doesn't need to be seen. Actually, none of his movies need to be seen, but this one has basically no visual component.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Movies that must be seen...
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2004, 03:14:07 pm »

Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Derek Jarman's Blue doesn't need to be seen. Actually, none of his movies need to be seen, but this one has basically no visual component.


Rent Krystof Kieslowski's Blue instead.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Movies that must be seen...
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2004, 04:01:38 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Rent Krystof Kieslowski's Blue instead.[/url]


Pedro, I'll see Seven Samauri and two other Kurosawa films with you if you'll watch Trois Couleurs with me.  

I've seen Blue and White, but not Red.  This must be rectified.

Then again, I probably owe you one for Artemesia, what with that curly headed guy's floppy wang, and all.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2004, 04:18:00 pm »

Rouge is my favourite of the Trois Couleurs Trilogy.

They are all good, though.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2004, 03:22:31 am »

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Wild Bunch
Badlands

Now, the first two are pretty violent, but lack when it comes to the good guy/bad guy things probably.  Badlands has a clear cut bad guy, but I did empathize with him.  Its just a great movie.  Unfortunately, it's only PG.  Aside from that though, beautiful.

Oh yeah, I liked Heat too.  It's a cops and robbers story.  Nice gun shootin.

I'm not gay, but I do have a thing for Johnny Depp.  Donnie Brasco was good.

Most of my other recommendations were taken I think.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2004, 04:06:23 am »

Dude, way to resurrect a dead thread.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2004, 04:22:02 am »

Yeah, I realize it's an older one, but as I was looking for another topic I stumbled upon this and had to contribute.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2004, 05:22:25 am »

I am hell of not going back through this whole damn thing to see if these have been mentioned.  So here are a couple of afterthought suggestions:

Night on Earth
Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Brubaker
His Gal Friday
Outland
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2004, 09:13:12 am »

Once Upon a Time in the West
Westworld
American Movie
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2004, 03:05:05 pm »

I am not the world's biggest fan of movies... but here goes with my list.

La Vita e Bella
The Royal Tenenbaums
Pi
Jackie Brown
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2004, 03:49:08 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"

La Vita e Bella
The Royal Tenenbaums
Pi
Jackie Brown


Yup. Although I haven't seen Tenenbaums yet, I already know I am going to like it (just from the list of people I know who do), and Jackie Brown I think is a great film. I have never understood people's problem with it...

And I'm still just in shock about people's reactions to Kill Bill. Goddam!

Serenity will be on the list, in a years time. Infuriating, much!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Movies that Must Be Seen...suggestions?
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2004, 11:27:15 pm »

I like Bottle Rocket, Wes Anderson's first, over Royal Tennenbaums.  Or Rushmore.  I think I am alone in this though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up