Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vacation (all I ever wanted)  (Read 7651 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 04:24:00 pm »

Basically if I don't start doing something with my life that I find fulfilling I will start scoping out bridges from which to jump (based on criteria such as height, impact medium, the view on the way down, etc.).

This vacation into the real world is just Phase I.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2004, 04:40:48 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
the view on the way down, etc.).


If you ever played Vampire, you'd so be a Toreador. Unless you went for a Nos instead.
I always went for Malkavian when I had to play it.

I digress. I know the feeling though. I am similarly at a point where I seriously have to start getting some stuff done. The other day I was contemplating posting that I was going to take a week off from the forum. I figure it's as big a step towards not being online, and thus getting shit done, as anything else.
But I don't know that it's time yet, since I can't really get anything done right now.

So anyway, at some point, I'll either work it out so I don't have to disappear, or I will disappear for a week or so too.
I'm rooting for the former.

But yes, in light of that, it is definitely worth doing Jough!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2004, 07:15:09 pm »

I can see Jough posting that he was taking time off, as he runs the show and all. If other people are planning on taking time off, I think it's better to just bail and come back. If you leave for long enough (and you are cool enough) people will begin to ask where you are (Zartan).

Also, it was sort of fun to come back to a place that I was present at the inception of, and note that some people had nearly 2000 posts. Crazy!

The tense might be fucked in that last paragraph, but I don't care enough to work it out.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2004, 08:57:22 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Basically if I don't start doing something with my life that I find fulfilling I will start scoping out bridges from which to jump (based on criteria such as height, impact medium, the view on the way down, etc.).



I can sympathize, believe me.  However, doing something fulfilling with your life is not necessarily incompatible with spending lots of time on line.

Right?  Right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2004, 09:03:26 pm »

I just hope your vacation is as sticky as this topic.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2004, 09:14:47 pm »

It'd be stickier if I could get rid of this damn box o' CDs I have ready to mail you here.

How's about that PM address already, before I go offline for a week and have to continue to trip over the damn box.

If I don't hear from you by Sunday I'm donating them to ORPHANS.

Damn, it's never been this hard to give away free CDs before...

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2004, 09:55:44 pm »

No!  Not the orphans!  Anything but the orphans!
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2004, 12:01:23 am »

Man, I thought I sent that address.

On it's way.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 03:16:35 am »

Quote
On its way.


Ditto.  I don't know how much of this stuff you'll dig, but it's the best I can do for you.  I'm sure you can find some rock & roll CDs a home if you don't like them.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2004, 11:56:01 pm »

Okay, I am getting ready for being offline for a week.

The last of my files are backing up, I have someone checking on the server, this place oughta take care of itself (I hardly do any moderatin' any more anyway), my other sites should be fine unattended for a week...

I feel like I'm packing to go somewhere.  One thing I've noticed, limiting my online time over the past two days to ease into things, is just how much free time I'll have without:

Reading message board posts
Sorting through e-mail and getting rid of spam.
Reading e-mail
Replying to e-mail
Checking the server stats
Checking the advertising stats (i.e. how much money I'm making broken down by hour).
Checking my bank account(s)
Searching for mp3s
Downloading and installing software
Sorting through and filing away programmes and files
Burning CDs
Coding something new for one of my web sites
Promoting one of my sites
Writing a new article, essay, page, etc., for one of my sites
Reading movie reviews
Reading the news

I'll miss SOME of the above, I'm sure.

But I'll get my news the old fashioned way - from watching "The Daily Show" and listening to Leno's monologue.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2004, 12:44:53 am »

Quote from: "jough"
But I'll get my news the old fashioned way - from . . . listening to Leno's monologue.

I weep.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2004, 05:51:04 am »

Okay, as of this post I'm unplugging and won't be back for a week.

If you MUST reach me you can SMS my cell phone:

http://jough.com/text/

But be gentle.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2004, 07:01:44 pm »

If I were a little less of a nice guy, I'd make a huge schedule over the next week so that Jough would get a text message every hour. You KNOW he won't be able to turn off his cell phone as well as unplug from the computer, ya just know it!

Well, Jough, when you return and read this, if you did get messages every hour on the hour, it wasn't me, swear.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2004, 11:19:34 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Suuuuuuure.

This is Jough you're talking about, when has it mattered if he has the right subject for a beat down.  You may have just labeled yourself the 'warm up act'.

Not that I won't find it amusing.


I'm innocent I tell ya! Ya got the wrong man!
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Vacation (all I ever wanted)
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2004, 01:27:16 pm »

Listen, to get back on topic (vacations, etc.): I'm off all weekend for a road trip. I'll be out from tonight all the way through Monday evenin'. Just don't burn down the lounge.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up