Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jump to a Story Arc  (Read 2587 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Jump to a Story Arc
« on: May 17, 2004, 01:13:01 am »

When did this show up? Do you suppose this means at some point Achewood will be all complicated with the listing of locations and characters and all that folderol like Goats is?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 01:36:54 am »

Maybe he's getting a lot of people (like us) jumping around the archives looking for certain strips and he thinks this will take some of the server load.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 01:49:57 am »

The fool.  All this will mean is that people will start to re-read the archives more.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 03:01:01 am »

But some of the funniest strips are one-offs...how do we find them?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 03:08:09 am »

er... I think that may have been jough's point - At least, I hope so.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 03:10:21 am »

I took his point more to mean people will go the archives more because it's a ton easier, and then will get lost in the archives thus costing more bandwidth than this may have been intended to save.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 03:30:47 am »

I think it's a great tool and I'm going to e-mail Onstad and tell him so.

I've given up trying to perceive his reasons for doing anything that he does.  I'm just grateful for this user-friendly addition to the site.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 05:04:37 am »

I think this is a good idea; it certainly will help me find specific strips when I'm looking for them (to, say, link to them here). I can't really argue with webcomic authors creating more utilities for understanding the strip and searching the archives, personally.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 05:48:47 am »

Actually, my point was that the "Jump to..." offers the *illusion* of convenience, but so many of the great strips are one-offs that you'll never find what you're looking for without searching and delving.

Which may be the point, but somehow I don't get that he makes money from people looking at the archives.

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 06:52:19 am »

So what if it doesn't feature one-offs...there's really no way of doing that. That's what the archive is for. If it included all one-offs...well, that'd be retarded. I think the story-arc jumper is awesome.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 04:31:53 pm »

I frequently find myself cursing DS's lack of usuable archive so I'm all for something like this.

Onstad's archive ususally helps me narrow down the strip I'm looking for just by the titles but sometimes the titles don't really help so this is a nice addition.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 06:48:07 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Actually, my point was that the "Jump to..." offers the *illusion* of convenience, but so many of the great strips are one-offs that you'll never find what you're looking for without searching and delving.

Which may be the point, but somehow I don't get that he makes money from people looking at the archives.

Well, to each his own -- but, for me, I tend to remember which plot arcs my favorite one-offs were near, often much better than I remember what date they were. Even if I'm wrong, so what? I don't  mind browsing the archives some, and it's not like I'll spend more time searching with this new tool.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 07:29:21 pm »

I don' like it. I don' like de' web comics that are all "War and Peace" frikkin soap operas. Just start at the begining if yr new and if you know yr 'wood stuff, the shit ain't that hard to find. damn!
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Jump to a Story Arc
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 07:54:16 pm »

Almost apostrophised to death!

But I agree with V on this one. I mean, save for Nice Pete and the ice cream, Beef going to the moon, and maybe the party which served as the introduction for Ultra Peanut, there are very few things you could actually consider the start of a plot arc. It's simply not what Achewood tends to do, though that is not to undermine how much I enjoy when a good arc does get continued.

I will get lost in the archives, stumbling around looking for the right strip, and it may take me some time to find it, but I know I will be able to. That and I got the books to flip through, and I kind of know straight off which ones aren't printed.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up