Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word  (Read 10360 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 11:03:46 pm »

I recently upgraded to Mac OSX and have discovered that the included "TextEdit" replacing SimpleText does not save in .txt like Simpletext did but rather only in .rtf and .doc.
Whatever your feelings about Mac vs. Whatever, something is deeply, deeply wrong when Microsoft proprietary formats dominate the Macintosh.
Logged

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 07:36:21 am »

try hitting "make plain text" in the format menu.

ontopic: i think it's funny because there is clearly no major program less deserving of a medal of excellence than word. literally all it can do well is a few sentences. anything over about 40 pages and that fucker is sloooooow.

and then it crashes.

yes, i used to work in a university computer lab. BA time was SO. MUCH. FUN.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 01:30:00 pm »

Quote from: "ndpatel"
try hitting "make plain text" in the format menu.


Indeed, I have it set to default to plain text in the preferences.  Text should be text.  Life is complicated enough without extranous markup.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 03:15:03 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Life is complicated enough without extranous markup.


Unless you're using TextPad for HTML markup by hand. It has some lovely features, as well as being small and fast, it is totally customisable. I just discovered yesterday that I can set a macro up to insert <A TARGET="_blank" HREF=" - thus saving me a little time, given I always use _blank target links.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 05:01:26 pm »

Dammit, Slink!  I don't recognize you any more with your new Av!  I keep thinking, "Who the hell is *that* guy?"  

Ah, well.  I'll have to get used to it, I suppose.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 05:24:38 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"

Ah, well.  I'll have to get used to it, I suppose.


I will probably revert. Just felt it was time for a change. I don't think it works though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 05:57:57 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "jldunston"

Ah, well.  I'll have to get used to it, I suppose.


I will probably revert. Just felt it was time for a change. I don't think it works though.

I like it just fine, but I'll freely admit I miss Ed and Ein. And yes, there was a recognition effect going on.

(It rather worries me that I chose to be associated with a giant evil eye, but such is my idiom, I suppose.)
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2004, 06:46:03 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

I like it just fine, but I'll freely admit I miss Ed and Ein. And yes, there was a recognition effect going on.


Yea. The recognition effect weirded me out a bit too. And there are worse things to be recognised at than anime characters in the style of Ralph Steadman.
I had been considering going back to Hunter however. I might try that again soon.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2004, 07:39:42 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
<A TARGET="_blank" HREF="


capitalized tags, and the target attribute?  you are SO not validating under xhtml 1.1 [/geek]
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2004, 08:16:14 pm »

Hooray! You people have saved my sanity from having to launch Classic Environment for Simpletext until such time as I started poking around the preferences and such. May many benedictions shower upon your houses!
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2004, 08:35:04 pm »

Quote from: "misterhaan"

capitalized tags, and the target attribute?  you are SO not validating under xhtml 1.1 [/geek]


I know, it's a fact that shames me. It's just bad habit, having learnt long, long ago.
I am going to have to go through all my HTML and clean it out, since I need that validation in my life.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2004, 08:40:28 pm »

Hey! Geeks! Look over here!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2004, 09:59:49 pm »

i hope ray and beef are being ironiocal.  because i find it hard to make sentences in MS Word.  it keeps capitalizing things.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2004, 10:51:01 pm »

It always calls me on [Long Sentence: No Suggestions].
Stupid pretentious diction.
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2004, 02:46:09 am »

Slink, just for my 2 cents, I kind of enjoyed the other avatar. But the Ralph is cool, of course.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up