Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word  (Read 10367 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2004, 03:20:52 am »

I used to use Wordperfect until Word started my current job.  Word sucks really hard compared to Wordperfect.  I used to say as much to my coworkers and the usual response was "It's just the same, your just used to the other one, that's why you think it's better."  But no, no it's not, it's much worse.  Thankfully wordprocessing isn't what I do much of.

Quote from: "arkabee"
i hope ray and beef are being ironiocal. because i find it hard to make sentences in MS Word. it keeps capitalizing things.


Oh yeah, thanks Word for capitalizing the next word after i've punctuated an abreviation.  That really speeds things up for me.

~Paul

I'm not entirely sure punctuated is an actual word.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2004, 03:31:54 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'm not entirely sure punctuated is an actual word.

http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=punctuated
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2004, 03:38:17 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'm not entirely sure punctuated is an actual word.

http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=punctuated


Well whaddaya know.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2004, 04:46:57 am »

I miss WordPerfect 5.1 -- I could make that baby jump through all the hoops.  I was all Shift-F7... Alt-F4... Ctrl-F8.  I didn't need a template or nothing!  Whatever I wanted my document to look like it looked like!  And it liked it!

Seriously -- I'm a document producing guy and I loved WP5.1.  It was simple, no-frills and effective.  I don't need 16 damn bells and whistles, I just need total control over formatting.  Is that too much to ask, Bill Gates?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2004, 10:21:59 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I miss WordPerfect 5.1 -- I could make that baby jump through all the hoops.  I was all Shift-F7... Alt-F4... Ctrl-F8.  I didn't need a template or nothing!  Whatever I wanted my document to look like it looked like!  And it liked it!


WordPerfect was all like is this fast enough and August was all no

There are a few programs with which I am extremely proficient, but they're all video games.  Last time I went to a gaming cafe, the guy who worked there watched in stunned silence as I played the hell out of some Warcraft III with crazy mad hotkeys.  Later, when we ran into him somewhere out of context, he recognized me as "Mrs. Hotkeys."  

I liked that.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2004, 02:45:54 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I was all Shift-F7... Alt-F4... Ctrl-F8.  I didn't need a template or nothing!


Quote from: "jldunston"
There are a few programs with which I am extremely proficient, but they're all video games.


Damn, this reminds me of being young: bright-eyed and optimistic and willing to put up with any amount of shit from my video games, up to and including strapping some gigantic fuck*ng piece of perforated cardboard onto and over my keyboard so that i would know what each and every button did in F117-A Stealth Fighter. Seriously. I think that fuck*ng plane had windshield wipers.

Is this what August means by "template"? You mean to say that adults actually used accessories such as these for their productivity applications in their professional lives? Was there a little slot for their baseball cards, too?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2004, 03:16:34 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I just need total control over formatting.  Is that too much to ask, Bill Gates?


I miss a little old program I used to use called PC-Write. I think it was just one step up from a text editor, although I can barely remember text editors.  You had to put all the formatting commands in on your own.  By, like, typing them, right out there where you could read them - none of this invisible shit you put in with badly organized menus.

What was great was that you didn't have to stop and worry about screwed-up formatting every two seconds when you were trying to, like, WRITE. You could write all the content you wanted without thinking about what the printout would look like, and then at the end, do all that stuff that the typesetter ought to do separately.  It was like having a word processor with a manual transmission.

Speaking of primitive computing - From certain distances from a window, the noise of our cicada invasion sounds a lot like the phone modem noise that we were nostalgically discussing in some other thread that I forget now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2004, 03:19:01 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
It was like having a word processor with a manual transmission.



What a beautifully apt analogy.

It's apt!  APT!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2004, 03:51:22 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Speaking of primitive computing - From certain distances from a window, the noise of our cicada invasion sounds a lot like the phone modem noise that we were nostalgically discussing in some other thread that I forget now.


I wanna hear more about the Cicadas.  Can you make a field recording?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2004, 03:56:53 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "wombat"
Speaking of primitive computing - From certain distances from a window, the noise of our cicada invasion sounds a lot like the phone modem noise that we were nostalgically discussing in some other thread that I forget now.


I wanna hear more about the Cicadas.  Can you make a field recording?

~Paul


Oddly enough, the company I work at is called Cicada Consulting Group.  The founder was taking a walk in '92 and listening to the cicadas and how they could 'communicate' with others miles away.  This got him to thinking about his modem and the internet.  He then named his internet company after some of the most hideous beasts ever to crawl out of their shells and screech.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2004, 04:28:23 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "wombat"
Speaking of primitive computing - From certain distances from a window, the noise of our cicada invasion sounds a lot like the phone modem noise that we were nostalgically discussing in some other thread that I forget now.


I wanna hear more about the Cicadas.  Can you make a field recording?

~Paul

The coolest thing is that they always sound like they're coming from somewhere over that way. And if you walk that way all of a sudden the source seems to jump back over that other way.

It's now loud enough that I can hear them in my bedroom with the windows shut.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2004, 05:01:59 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

It's now loud enough that I can hear them in my bedroom with the windows shut.


I'd so be rocking backwards and forwards, dribbling by this point. Can't fuck*ng stand insects in numbers.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2004, 05:52:33 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Let me know how that works out for you, m'kay?


Occasionally, pretty fuck*ng poorly!
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2004, 06:10:15 pm »

Quote from: "misterhaan"
back to talking about word, i tried the word processor in openoffice and it doesn't look as fancy as word, but it is WAY better.  not that that's saying much.
also whatever openoffice calls its thing that does the same thing as the equation editor you can install with word is insanely better than equation editor because you don't have to use the penis.  i just wish i would have found that back when i was writing lab reports because it probably would have taken me half the time to write them in openoffice rather than word.


Given the number of equations in my dissertation, I probably would have been thrilled to use anything other than Word.  But my main complaint is the way that tables, figures, captions, etc. spontaneously re-arrange themsleves in Word if you change anything.  I had to alter my margins slightly (by about .05"...the Graduate School here is really picky), and I spent days trying to make all the figures go back where I wanted them.

Maybe we should make Microsoft eat cicadas.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up