Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word  (Read 10375 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2004, 06:45:41 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
badly organized menus


Which is why my toolbar looks like this:



Yes, I use them all.  

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
the way that tables, figures, captions, etc. spontaneously re-arrange themsleves in Word if you change anything


This is true.  You can circumvent this, however, by applying these settings to every table and graphic (a chore, but less so than the alternative).  

Right click, select "Format Picture."   Layout; Advanced button.  Select "Top and Bottom".  

Picture Position tab, select horizontal alignment if desired.  Change vertical alignment to "top relative to line."   Make sure "Move object with text" is checked and uncheck "Allow overlap."  

I am 99% certain that's correct.  I didn't take the time to re-test it, but it's worked for me before.  A real life saver when I was typing exams for aspiring Materials Scientists.  If you're good with macros, this would be a breeze -- personally, I never got the hang of those.

This post has made me feel downright secretarial.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2004, 06:54:13 pm »

JL, that is truly the most terrifying menu layout I have ever seen! And I use Maya! That thing has 5 switchable menu layouts all with different buttons and shit, in almost that quantity.

I guess I just manage to get by without knowing how Word works. I have managed to do everything I've ever needed to (including editorial work, so it's not entirely everyday) by just, working out how to get it do what's needed when it comes to it.
Microsoft software is at least easy to do that with if you're a geek.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2004, 07:16:57 pm »

What's more, posting an image of your Word toolbar can really fuck up a thread.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2004, 07:17:39 pm »

How ironic...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2004, 07:24:12 pm »

Quote from: "The Indy Star"
After living underground for 17 years and feeding on tree roots, the so-called Brood X cicadas are emerging by the billions across the Eastern U.S.


....Brood X? Wasn't that an X-Men story arch?

EDIT: I'm dumb; also, a comparison.
CICADAS ARE....


THE BROOD IS....
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2004, 07:26:11 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
What's more, posting an image of your Word toolbar can really fuck up a thread.


I wouldn't have done it if it hadn't been so near the bottom of the page.  Sorry for making you scroll, for heaven's sake.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2004, 08:26:22 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Sorry for making you scroll, for heaven's sake.


You gotta love 19inch displays.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2004, 08:43:05 pm »

Bozack, when did you turn into Paul? And why is it so awesome?
Logged

foolio

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 53
    • View Profile
Equations
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2004, 09:08:41 pm »

Well if you had a lot of equations in your disseration, you should have definitely been using LaTeX.

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Quote from: "misterhaan"
back to talking about word, i tried the word processor in openoffice and it doesn't look as fancy as word, but it is WAY better.  not that that's saying much.
also whatever openoffice calls its thing that does the same thing as the equation editor you can install with word is insanely better than equation editor because you don't have to use the penis.  i just wish i would have found that back when i was writing lab reports because it probably would have taken me half the time to write them in openoffice rather than word.


Given the number of equations in my dissertation, I probably would have been thrilled to use anything other than Word.  But my main complaint is the way that tables, figures, captions, etc. spontaneously re-arrange themsleves in Word if you change anything.  I had to alter my margins slightly (by about .05"...the Graduate School here is really picky), and I spent days trying to make all the figures go back where I wanted them.

Maybe we should make Microsoft eat cicadas.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Re: Equations
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2004, 11:36:28 pm »

Quote from: "foolio"
Well if you had a lot of equations in your disseration, you should have definitely been using LaTeX.



Yes, I should have, especially since the University thoughtfully provides a LaTeX template for thesis.  However, I:

a) can't program worth shit, and LaTeX is as much about programming as anything
b) can't touch type (I know, I'm a failure on the internet), making extteraneous coding of things like formatting less than appealing
c) never actually bothered to, you know, learn how to use LaTeX.  There was a class I could have taken as an undergrad, but at the time I didn't see the point.
d) am an idiot (see my admission to owning a porkpie hat elsewhere for confirmation).

Maybe next time I'll do it right.....
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2004, 01:48:58 am »

Those Cicadas are totally wicked cool.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2004, 01:58:30 am »

I totally shined page 2, because who's lazy? Me. I am. Anyway, half of this thread is totally in the wrong place.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2004, 04:37:58 am »

Congratulations, gang - I think this thread, and this page in particular, has produced the single most bizarre set of context-sensitive Google Text Ads I've ever seen. I mean, wow.

Quote from: "Asherdan"
(snitches get stitches)


A friend of mine and I were once threatened by some crazy homeless dude with words to this effect. Long story short, he was panhandling and being a garden variety* obnoxious, "hey that's your weird-ass face right up next to mine like we're going to kiss or have a Moment", pain in the ass, and we told someone about it, and - get this - a chick measuring about five foot nothing and eight months pregnant chased his ass on out. As he "left", he told us he'd be waiting. Outside.

"Snitches," he intoned gravely, "are for bitches." Five minutes later he was shucking and jiving his way on down the sidewalk, intensely interested in individual airborne nitrogen atoms or whatever.

MORAL: Yes. Yes, I am for bitches. Bitches simply cannot get enough.

*Sell seeds for cash or prizes! Fifty packets gets you this boss microscope kit!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
05/18/04 - The boys give an award to Microsoft Word
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2004, 02:27:08 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
You're NOT suggesting I bear any similarity to the antagonist in your little sketch there now ARE YOU?  Why I oughta...hey check out the light refraction interacting with those dust motes!!!

::scampers away to twirl in the dancing little beauties::

Yeah, you better run . . . if you know what's good for you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up