The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on June 28, 2005, 09:00:22 pm
-
OK, continue your musical discussions here. (hear?)
-
Huzzah!
I've been listening to indie stuff lately, mostly grabbed from a friend who really loves posting MP3s. (Hey, I ain't proud.) I feel a bit guilty for some of this stuff, as it really straddles the line between "Indie Rock Pete-level obscurity" and "faux-indie selloutica," but I likes what I likes.
-
I downloaded Architecture in Helsinki yesterday and it's quite fun even if It'5! is a lame song title. I'm waiting for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah to arrive as I've heard lots of good things.
-
...it really straddles the line between "Indie Rock Pete-level obscurity" and "faux-indie selloutica,"...
I need names!
Semi-relatedly, I finally had my last-straw type incident with Pitchfork today. I'd mostly just been reading it for the tour dates, but I read a review every once and a while, and they dissed the mix CD that came with the current issue of the Believer for not being snarky enough, or not having any hip hop or some damn thing. So I reckon this is an important in my twelve-steps type progression away from indie snobbery.
I have been listening to: David Byrne (Bozack's recommendation, and a fine one), Josephine Foster, John Prine, and obscene amounts of Yo La Tengo.
And I am seeing Wilco tonight. If they do not play anything from A.M., I will cry, but it is worth it anyways.
-
...it really straddles the line between "Indie Rock Pete-level obscurity" and "faux-indie selloutica,"...
I need names!
Oh, fine. The big ones are Fall Out Boy and Brand New, with some Stars (I still haven't found my copy of Set Yourself On Fire, alas) and Matthew Good. There've also been a few tracks by a band called Carbon Leaf which I am increasingly fond of, if only for the general cheeriness.
Semi-relatedly, I finally had my last-straw type incident with Pitchfork today. I'd mostly just been reading it for the tour dates, but I read a review every once and a while, and they dissed the mix CD that came with the current issue of the Believer for not being snarky enough, or not having any hip hop or some damn thing. So I reckon this is an important in my twelve-steps type progression away from indie snobbery.
Yeah, I hit my last straw with Pitchfork when their review of TMBG's The Spine basically summed to "you guys sound too much like a real rock band! What the hell? YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE AN INDIE GAG ACT, NOT MAKE REAL MUSIC, AND I AM DISILLUSIONED THAT THE NEW CD IS NOT FIFTEEN DIFFERENT COVERS OF 'PARTICLE MAN'." Then again, I never could really stand Pitchfork.
EDIT: To verify that I was correct in my diatribe above, I went to Pitchfork and pulled up every TMBG review I could. I don't really know if I was harsh enough. I mean, Jesus Christ, panning TMBG for releasing a kids' album that has songs that would actually appeal to a child, instead of releasing a snide set of songs about, I don't know, the Sandinistas or existentialism to kiddy-beats? These people are fuck*ng degenerates, and they don't know shit about TMBG. Jesus Christ I am having a Pat-like moment. I am SHAKING WITH RAGE. Time to read something calming... or maybe listen to The Spine again.
-
oh my god that Believer review in Pitchfork to daye was disgusting
"the CD included with the 2004 music issue was like a mix disc predicting our 2004 Top Albums list, featuring as it did folks like the Books, Ted Leo, the Walkmen, and TV on the Radio."
because no one else likes those totally popular bands ! I will find Pitchfork's father, and I will cuckold him
ps i bought this
(http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/images/b/bunnybrains/box-the-bunny.gif)
BOX THE BUNNY by the BUNNYBRAINS
a five-disc collection of everything this band ever touched, like a number of hours of music, all previously ultra rare vinyl only releases, for $9.99. I'd never heard the band before, I'd barely heard of them, apart from a few terrible, angry reviews, but you see a band's entire catalogue on sale for ten dollars and you have to take it in your hands and own it and love it
and it's all right. real fuzzed-out psych punk, the singer kinda reminds me of the dude from Arab on Radar and the Chinese Stars. I recommend hearing the song called "I Am Not Your Friend (I Am Your Destiny)" and also the one called "You Don't Know". they are fun to listen to !
-
Yikes. I just went to that Pitchfork Media place and damn. That was just painful. I almost feel guilty liking albums that they've given high ratings to.
-
Joni Mitchell. Lots and lots of Joni Mitchell.
-
I have been listening to: David Byrne (Bozack's recommendation, and a fine one), Josephine Foster, John Prine, and obscene amounts of Yo La Tengo.
Yesss, YESSSSS.
I bittorrented John Prine's Bonnaroo performance, and it is TASTY.
I'm currently broke as hell, but I've basically just been listening to the Talking Heads and the Tom Tom Club.
-
And I am seeing Wilco tonight. If they do not play anything from A.M., I will cry, but it is worth it anyways.
They might throw you a bone, but better take a hanky just in case.
~Paul
-
I got a 17 disc 1/2 speed master of The entire Beatles catalog. I've been neck deep into the Beatles since Sunday.
~Paul
-
LPs? Or CDs?
-
I have been listening to: David Byrne...
...but I've basically just been listening to the Talking Heads and the Tom Tom Club.
And look what the topic's title is! I was just thinking about listening to the Talking Heads yesterday, but haven't got around to it yet. I think I will now. I was thinking about what a wonderful band they are. I haven't heard much solo Byrne, and what I have didn't impress me much, but I think I need to check out some more stuff.
I still read Pitchfork for news and tour dates. It's one of the better sources as far as that goes, but I stopped reading the reviews long ago, for the most part. I don't know if it's still like this, and I may have mentioned it before here, but for a while I swear to god Pitchfork must have been a project for a community college creative writing class. I mean, I know they were supposed to be reviews of albums, but I wasn't reading anything about the albums. Personally, I think popular music criticism tends to be pretty much a joke anyway, but Pitchfork loses extra points for being so snooty. Also, even though it is a pretty good source for news, sometimes I wish they would just report it straight and forget the Daily Show style reporting. But I guess most people would find it too boring.
-
I have been listening to: David Byrne...
...but I've basically just been listening to the Talking Heads and the Tom Tom Club.
And look what the topic's title is!
Yeah, how about that?
I've always been a fan of Byrne and the Talking Heads. I have virtually no experience with his solo material. But I've always loved the Talking Heads.
It's odd. I'm not trying to be all Papaw here, but from my perspective the Talking Heads were an innovative cutting edge band. They were the epitome of new wave to me. Do they seem dated to you, Bozack?
I hope not. I hope aesthetic quality is timeless. I listening to a Bach CD I got at Target for a buck as I type this. It sounds fresh to me (despite the fact that chunks of it are embedded in my subconscious memory) and I hope it always will.
Also how can you sneeze at a collaboration between Eno and Byrne?
-
I actually am a big Talking Heads fan. They don't sound dated to me at all; there's just something about how Byrne writes lyrics that really works for me. Everything just seems really...unironic, I guess? I just read a book about the Talking Heads, and they mention how "Don't Worry About The Government" was actually David Byrne trying really hard not to be ironic, and to thank the civil servants that worked for him every day. I think it really comes through in the lyrics. Listening to the Talking Heads, to me, always seems very fresh, because it always sounds like some people who were pretty happy to be playing music and doing new stuff.
-
LPs? Or CDs?
CD's.
I've been attending these cool parties in my neighborhood called Texas House Concerts (http://www.texashouseconcerts.com/) which run in conjunction with disc exchange parties called Brunch of the Living Dead (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/brunchofthelivingdead/). This past Sunday they had a really cool bluegrass band (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN6190-E-800.jpg) from Asheville NC (http://www.asheville.com/) called Steel String Theory (http://www.steelstringtheory.com/). While you sit in the yard [or pool] (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN6188-E-800.jpg) enjoying a cold beverage (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN5722-E-800.jpg) and tasty bbq (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN5716-E-800.jpg) while listening to quality music (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN4023-E-800.jpg) being performed, "Grateful Greg" (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN5076-E-800.jpg) the burnmaster, is busy copying copious amounts of disc (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN5721-E-800.jpg) for the friends gathered there (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN5720-E-800.jpg). Most of the music being burned as you can imagine is Grateful Dead or Jam Band related, but they also have lots of other cool stuff available. Like a 17 disc 1/2 speed master of the entire Beatles catalog for instance.
~Paul
-
I love Grateful Greg.
Seriously, that is a really cool idea, and it looks like fun.
-
I know i'm a big ol' sap, but I really love The Beatles. These 1/2 speed masters are frickin' awesome. On most of them you can't really tell a huge difference, but on the latter recordings the difference is remarkable. It's... like i've never really heard them before. Who'dve thought that after 30+ years and thousands of listenings Golden Slumbers could still give me a shiver.
~Paul
-
apples?
-
That is outstanding. I wish Capitol would get off their asses and remaster the Beatles catalog. Fuckers.
-
A friend just turned me on to Saturday Looks Good To Me and The Decemberists. She's been hitting me over the head with Talking Heads but I can't handle more than two new bands at once.
Also, not to beat a dead hoss but yes, Pitchfork's reviews are terrible and so are their features. The Believer is rad and I won't stand for no guff about them.
-
Oranges.
-
indeed
-
I've been listening to a lot of New Order lately. Their big Retro collection has been in my playlist rotation for about a year now, but I've really started to appreciate them over the past few months. Temptation and Your Silent Face are particular favorites of mine.
Perhaps soon I will be ready to take my first tenative steps into Joy Division.
-
Whenever I am angry at Pitchfork I visit this delightful Web's Page (http://www.somethingawful.com/fake/richdork/). Some of the parody hits pretty squarely; especially great are the band names and radiohead scale. I think SA's resident music malcontent had a hand in this. That guy is the best hater around.
-
So where do people get non-sucky reviews? They seem to be very hard to come by.
-
So where do people get non-sucky reviews? They seem to be very hard to come by.
This one here (http://www.tinymixtapes.com/musicreviews/n/nine_inch_nails.htm) is the best album review I've ever seen.
-
That is so not a good review*, and not just due to my bias.
Anyway, I have always been mildly partial to http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/, though I don't always agree with them, but this is partly thanks to them making me buy my first Lanegan solo album.
I, like Paul, just ended up getting the entire Beatles discography, and so have been listening to about half their good albums (all of them have a few tracks I hate). Also, lots and lots of Rumillajta, who have always been one of my favourite bands ever.
* In fact, it's not even a review, just a fatuous... comment? Fatuous anyhow.
-
Tiny Mix Tapes is always better, and funnier, than Pitchfork. And their news updates are good too.
Brainwashed (http://www.brainwashed.com/) is great too, and the owner is a pretty cool guy. The review section is only updated once a week, and is the first link under the section News & Features. He does a lot of websites for bands free of charge.
Fakejazz (http://www.fakejazz.com/) used to be great, but I haven't read it lately. I know a lot of the guys associated with it, but had a falling out with one of them.
But like I said, I'm not much up on rock criticism. I just know those sites because I know the dudes who run them.
I'm drunk.
-
Lately I have been suffering through some interminable onanistic fumblings by the absurd Karlheinz Stockhausen. I must admit after a while his complete and utter disregard of how foolish his actions are becomes idiotically charming, much in the same regard that, after my dog defecates on the carpet for the twentieth straight time, I rarely am able to find the energy to strike him again, and am moved to awed admiration of his thick-skulled tenacity.
-
Heyo!
-
Brainwashed (http://www.brainwashed.com/) is great too, and the owner is a pretty cool guy. The review section is only updated once a week, and is the first link under the section News & Features. He does a lot of websites for bands free of charge.
I agree. I started reading brainwashed years ago when I was really into the Legendary Pink Dots. I only read it sporadically now.
-
i just noticed that the live music archive (http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php) has one of the gigs mike watt & george hurley played minutemen songs as a duo(is this a correct sentence?). it's pure awesomeness in mp3 form.
also who can i contact about changing my username?
-
i just noticed that the live music archive (http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php) has one of the gigs mike watt & george hurley played minutemen songs as a duo(is this a correct sentence?). it's pure awesomeness in mp3 form.
also who can i contact about changing my username?
Talk to Jough. I am led to understand that he usually desires a tip for this service, but otherwise it shouldn't be any big deal.
Also, mmmm. Delicious music.
-
Just received my copy of Swaptrash's, sadly, only album. They were an Edinburgh band doing various American country stuff, and were fuck*ng fantastic. Now to get it off of vinyl!
I shall probably post a link to it when done, what with it's unavailability and pure brilliance. I reckon some of y'all would dig it.
-
There's a crazy guy at work who was in a pretty well-known hardcore band in the 80's; apparently, he was the second person to purchase Minor Threat's "Out of Step" EP, and POSSIBLY the first person to listen to it. Anyway, the other night, he sits me down and starts berating me for not owning certain albums and also for owning a Matador Records messenger bag. He starting listing albums I needed to buy, making me write them down on the back of a menu. Then, he stopped and asked, "Do you own Meat Puppets II?"
I said, "No."
He said, "Why not?"
I chuckled.
He said, "I'm serious, man! Why don't you own that album?"
So I just got it, and it is seriously awesome. I think I'm now his disciple.
-
meat puppets II is indeed awesome. i've been listening to a lot of tom waits, minutemen and infest. i dled booker t. & the mg's hip hug-her and man it's pretty good in the background. it's the kind of music i would listen to while playing the time trials in mario kart
oh yeah bozack, what is the name of the pretty well-known hardcore band the guy was in?
-
One summer I could not turn off MPII because I believed it had become the whole of my mind. Things started getting bad at work for me at this point. Its weird - I tried to use "in the neighborhood" by Tom Waits as an outro to science demonstrations. No one really understood. I still think its the best rally/outro music EVA.
I have been meaning to get the No Man's Slave 12". Some day. I'm kind of burnt out on power violence right now and my Crime Desire LP should be in my mailbox soon. Similar style to Infest with completely uncharacteristic high-pitched yapping. Very cool stuff!
-
The guy was in Kinghoss, a band which, from what I can tell, is considered sacred in Louisville but which is completely anonymous everywhere else. Apparently someone from the band, and I'm assuming it's him, because he is a pugnacious little bastard and because of the whole Matador bag thing, kicked the shit out of the guitarist from VHS or Beta back in 1998, but google is turning up little else. They came out with one album back in like 1993.
-
the new clutch album, ***** hive/exodus, is excellent.
-
I received Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and The Boy Least Likely To last week and just now got around to listening to them. The song Sleeping With a Gun Under My Pillow makes baby jesus cry but other than that they were both quite enjoyable.
-
Do you people have any idea how good the song "Man is not a Bird" by Broadcast is?
DO YOU
-
Do you people have any idea how good the song "Man is not a Bird" by Broadcast is?
DO YOU
Is that a new song?
I have one Broadcast album and it is indeed good, but have not heard that song. perhaps I shall go search later.
-
Do you people have any idea how good the song "Man is not a Bird" by Broadcast is?
DO YOU
Is that a new song?
I have one Broadcast album and it is indeed good, but have not heard that song. perhaps I shall go search later.
It's actually off of "Haha Sound", which came out a couple of years ago, BUT the performance of that song from the bootleg of their 2003 concert at Café de la Danse is the one I'm listening to over and over, because it's so very good.
OOPS, SHOULD HAVE LEFT SPOILER SPACE
-
Do you people have any idea how good the song "Man is not a Bird" by Broadcast is?
DO YOU
Is that a new song?
I have one Broadcast album and it is indeed good, but have not heard that song. perhaps I shall go search later.
It's actually off of "Haha Sound", which came out a couple of years ago, BUT the performance of that song from the bootleg of their 2003 concert at Café de la Danse is the one I'm listening to over and over, because it's so very good.
OOPS, SHOULD HAVE LEFT SPOILER SPACE
Ahh okay.
The album I have is 'The Noise Made By People'. it's older.
I've heard a couple songs from 'Haha Sound', but never bought it. Ominous Clouds was a good one.
Oh! I also have heard two songs from a new EP that I found on mp3 blogs this past week.. not sure what I think of them yet. they were okay, but no repeat performances.
-
i apparently drifted off onto a musical peninsula in the 90s and since then the water has risen, leaving me on my own tiny, and vacationally useless, island. close enough to hear a ruckus from across the water, but far enough away that noone will come and visit.
i can not stress enough how amazing "***** Hive / Exodus" is. J Robbins (listening to Burning Airlines as i type) did a STELLAR job on this album. Clutch are at their finest, in each and every aspect. the new organist is amazing. You could put this album in the "see also" space for the definition of "take it to another level".
you can hear 3 songs @ http://www.hyfntrak.com/clutch2/fromafriend/
"Slowly, broken windows returning to the sand
The economic factors are no longer relevant.
That empty city sound is so frightening.
Neolithic fear is such a motivating factory."
need i say more?
-
Thanks for the Clutch.
~Paul<--Waving from the mainland.
-
Twin Cinema and High Art, Local News from The New Pornographers. Damn them for introducing me to happy fun music.
-
Twin Cinema and High Art, Local News from The New Pornographers. Damn them for introducing me to happy fun music.
Both worth picking up, I take it? The four tracks I've heard from the New Pornographers have made me deeply happy inside.
-
Indeed. I still say that Electric Version is by far their best effort, though. High Art, Local News is only available on 45* and comes w/ Twin Cinema depending on where you buy it. Needless to say I've already converted my copy to mp3.
*WTF is up with people calling 45s "7-inch singles"? It's a freaking 45. Rulers don't need to enter into this nomenclatural equation. I understand saying 3" CD because those are rare and need to be differentiated from full-size CDs but the term 45 has been widely understood for like 60 years. I vote we keep using it.
-
They made 12" 45's too, in the 80's. Mostly remixes and dance music.
I think 7" is almost as ubiquitous as 45. They also call 78 records 10".
I've actually got a 7" 33 even. It's a Todd Rundgren single that was included with his Hermit of Mink Hollow record.
~Paul
-
I have this 7" that plays 33 on one side and 45 on the other. It's two of Pg99's tour records clamped together to fight inflation on the originals.
At morphius (http://www.morphius.com) they can do about anything you want to a slab of wax. 8" one-sided triple color 33? Yes, sir! Who's up for a short run of Houston poetry jams?
-
Who's up for a short run of Houston poetry jams?
I don't know what a poetry jam is. Is this a Houston thing?
~Paul
-
Who's up for a short run of Houston poetry jams?
I don't know what a poetry jam is. Is this a Houston thing?
No, lots of cities have them. I remember walking into a restaurant called Teaism for the first time and saying, "I don't belong here. This looks like the kind of place that has poetry slams." Then when we got our table, there was a flyer for an upcoming poetry slam. I'm assuming the slam/jam difference is negligible.
-
Though I've had a copy of it for weeks, I finally bought a copy of the Calexico/Iron and Wine collaboration, In the Reins. It's wonderful. I'm more of a Calexico fan--in fact, I've probably only heard one Iron and Wine song aside from this record--but the two acts blend together perfectly. I imagine any fan of either act would be pleased with the recording. I look forward to seeing them in two weeks, although I hope they do separate sets.
Gang of Four will be here Sunday, and I have my ticket. From what I've heard they'll only, or mainly, be doing the classics. Has anyone else caught them this time around?
-
Gang of Four will be here Sunday, and I have my ticket. From what I've heard they'll only, or mainly, be doing the classics. Has anyone else caught them this time around?
Isn't their new album just covers of their own songs?
-
Gang of Four will be here Sunday, and I have my ticket. From what I've heard they'll only, or mainly, be doing the classics. Has anyone else caught them this time around?
Isn't their new album just covers of their own songs?
I have no idea. I didn't know that a new album was being released.
-
Well, fuck. Just found out it was cancelled. Fuck.
-
Lately I've been all about:
"At the National Grid" by the Bats - Best New Zealand indie-pop band ever, first album in 10 years, they haven't lost a damn step.
"Suitcase 2: American Superdream WOW" by Guided by Voices - I haven't even devoured all of this yet. But so far, it's great. Not as immediate as the first Suitcase stuff, but still.
Been listening to lots of Luminous Orange as well, because Japanese shoegaze is all-right with me.
Also "No Business" by Negativland is a treasure for the ages.
-
Have acquired two New Pornographers albums ("Electric Version" and "Twin Cinema") and have listened to them pretty much non-stop since I got them. My general impression is that "Electric Version" is a slightly better overall album, but they're both fantastic, and "Twin Cinema" has some jaw-droppingly incredible songs. (I can't get enough of "Bones of an Idol.")
Also recently acquired Sufjan Stevens's "Illinois," but have yet to be in the proper mood to listen.
-
I've been listening to Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites which I downloaded a couple weeks ago quite a lot... it sounds like a really impressive mix tape rock opera. I'm still waiting for the single I ordered (the full length has a shitty cover -- looks like a bad photoshop job... I apologise, but I cannot have a truly ugly cover in my collection.. heh).
Also can't get enough of the new Calla album ' Collisions'... it's consistently good like the last album I got by them 'Televise' and really sets a mood.
Into the album Mountaineer - Sleep and Me as of today which is some dreamy sounding alt-country stuff. here's a song I uploaded from it: Mountaineer - The Strangest Sound (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/Mountaineer-The_Strangest_Sound.mp3)
-
hey v-adore : have you heard mass romantic ? like 2x better than electric version and like 3-4x than twin cinema, and no mistake. undislikable
i have been listening to the new records by broadcast and deerhoof which are some of the outstandinger of the yr. for certain
also this record "i trust my guitar, etc." by the magik markers which is fun staticky 5-20 minute punk songs, and the self titled lp by the band blood on the wall
ps i used to be old kentucky shark but that's all changed now !
-
I want to listen to Deerhoof simply because I love their name. Is it possible to love a band just because they have a great name? Would my love wane if I discovered they played New Country ala Garth Brooks? I'll take comfort in the fact that any band with a name as cool as Deerhoof would never play New Country ala Garth Brooks. I've never heard a single note of Deerhoof music, but I plan to see them perform in exactly one month, 11/11.
~Paul
-
hey v-adore : have you heard mass romantic ? like 2x better than electric version and like 3-4x than twin cinema, and no mistake. undislikable
Not yet, but I mean to pick it up. If it's that much better, I expect magic things, unto my CD player spewing sparks of magic and conveying me to the land of Honah Lee.
-
ps i used to be old kentucky shark but that's all changed now !
Welcome back.
-
hey v-adore : have you heard mass romantic ? like 2x better than electric version and like 3-4x than twin cinema, and no mistake. undislikable
Not yet, but I mean to pick it up. If it's that much better, I expect magic things, unto my CD player spewing sparks of magic and conveying me to the land of Honah Lee.
Whateva. Mass Romantic may be better than Twin Cinema (I haven't listened to TC enough) but Electric Version is by far the best of the 3. There's no contest here. Even if you moved All for Swinging You Around to MR it still wouldn't be better.
-
i bought a cd at best buy the other day or so and am still feeling guilt.
-
hey v-adore : have you heard mass romantic ? like 2x better than electric version and like 3-4x than twin cinema, and no mistake. undislikable
Not yet, but I mean to pick it up. If it's that much better, I expect magic things, unto my CD player spewing sparks of magic and conveying me to the land of Honah Lee.
Whateva. Mass Romantic may be better than Twin Cinema (I haven't listened to TC enough) but Electric Version is by far the best of the 3. There's no contest here. Even if you moved All for Swinging You Around to MR it still wouldn't be better.
Agreed, I like Electric Version much better than Mass Romantic. Haven't picked up the new one yet. I need to pick up a bunch of stuff--the Iron & Wine/Calexico thing, the new Broken Social Scene.
Star--is the new Mew available domestically, or will I have to spring for the import?
-
I just got a job again (Barnes & Nobles Booksellers #1979, Fiction Clerk what up!) , so hopefully I'll start buying records anew soon.
On Halloween, my ladyfriend and I are going to a Moutain Goats Halloween show. I am wearing a plastic Billy-Goat mask and she is wearing a plastic Sheep mask. They are creepy and frightening. There WILL be pictures.
-
I just got a job again (Barnes & Nobles Booksellers #1979, Fiction Clerk what up!) , so hopefully I'll start buying records anew soon.
On Halloween, my ladyfriend and I are going to a Moutain Goats Halloween show. I am wearing a plastic Billy-Goat mask and she is wearing a plastic Sheep mask. They are creepy and frightening. There WILL be pictures.
Duuude, that's at the Knitting Factory, right? I'm taking a New England Road Trip with my gentleman friend to see 'em at a gallery somewhere in Massachussetts, on the 27th or thereabouts. I am pretty pumped.
-
I was going to suggest seeing them at the Iron hoss in Northampton MA on the 26th - cool venue in a great town - and then I remembered you'll get carded. Have fun in Boston.
ETA: what the fuck is this, a new filter, or did I miss something? H-O-R-S-E now comes out as "hoss"? Screw you, J---h. Fuck you!
-
I almost forgot that I have 3 tickets to see The New Pornographers at the posh Nightclub 9:30 this Saturday. Destroyer and Immaculate Machine opening. I've never heard of the 2nd one.
-
Aaaargh! Why does everyone else in the world get to see awesome bands and I'm stuck in West Bumfuck, MA?! Rage! Seething rage!
And also sincere hopes that y'all have a good time. Post pictures, Bozack.
-
Oh, for fuck's sake, V, how far is Northampton from you? An hour, tops? Just go.
-
Star--is the new Mew available domestically, or will I have to spring for the import?
Import last I checked. I'd go with amazon.co.uk since even with the conversion rate and no free shipping, I believe it's cheaper (£8.99 compared with $31.39 at amazon.com). heh.
-
oops... I meant to edit and accidently quoted.. har
Is there a way to delete a post? :|
---
....I guess I'll make use of this post if not.
I just heard the new arab strap album last night. it's a bit weird at parts.
-
Oh, for fuck's sake, V, how far is Northampton from you? An hour, tops? Just go.
Uhhm... about an hour and a half, and I have no car and precious few friends with cars. This creates problems. (For example, I just went through several days of intense psychodrama finding someone who could drive me forty-five minutes so I could take the motherfuck*ng GRE. For a concert? This is not happeing.)
-
OK, so I just looked at V's Livejournal to try to figure out where she lives that is an hour and a half from Northampton.... but I was stopped dead by the entry about a grade of 98% in Eavesdropping, overwhelmed by the certainty my life would have been totally different if I had attended a school that offered a course in Eavesdropping.
And about that GRE, V - any way we can make sure you go to grad school in a place with public transportation? Because that story was just too sad.
-
OK, so I just looked at V's Livejournal to try to figure out where she lives that is an hour and a half from Northampton.... but I was stopped dead by the entry about a grade of 98% in Eavesdropping, overwhelmed by the certainty my life would have been totally different if I had attended a school that offered a course in Eavesdropping.
And about that GRE, V - any way we can make sure you go to grad school in a place with public transportation? Because that story was just too sad.
I hate to break your dreams, but "Eavesdropping" is my college Japanese program's term for listening-comprehension exercises. Why? I dunno.
And yes, all the grad school possibilities are big places. Big, big places. With public transportation. And hopefully my own car. Nice stuff like that.
Right. Music.
-
How'd the GRE go? Did you take the computer version?
-
How'd the GRE go? Did you take the computer version?
Will be taking the computer version, in... three and a half hours or so. Wish me luck; this may be the only thing that gets me into graduate school.
-
i didn't have a car in college, and i got from west NH to NYC in a little over 2 hours once when my psycho girlfriend's ex-boyfriend drove me.
i am liking the cd i got at best buy but the guilt.
the guilt.
i wither.
-
Good luck on the GRE, dude. I applied for the Honours program yesterday, which means the magical road to Trying to Get Into Grad School has already begun.
Also, it is too bad that you cannot make the trek to see the Mountain Goats. So great is my committment that I might end up getting to Massachussetts via a road trip with my gentleman friend's parents, because I basically love the Mountain Goats more than life.
(His parents are fine, they're lovely people, it's more just... conceptually terrifying.)
-
How'd the GRE go? Did you take the computer version?
Will be taking the computer version, in... three and a half hours or so. Wish me luck; this may be the only thing that gets me into graduate school.
Good luck! Wish I'd known, I might have been able to help with some tips -- I used to teach for the Princeton Review.
-
Agreed, I like Electric Version much better than Mass Romantic. Haven't picked up the new one yet. I need to pick up a bunch of stuff--the Iron & Wine/Calexico thing, the new Broken Social Scene.
Verdict on the Iron and Wine/Calexico thing - if, like me, you already have the original I&W demos for these songs and if, like me, you don't particularly care for Calexico, this disc is entirely superfluous. (If the second condition applies to you but not the first, let me know, I can make the demos available for download.)
I guess I liked my Sam Beam a bit better when I thought that he was lo-fi because of some minimalist aesthetic. Turns out he was lo-fi just because he was poor.
-
I don't know much about Iron and Wine, but Calexico are great. IMHO of course. Carry on.
~Paul
-
I have the demos and while I like I&W lo-fi, I also liked the added in instruments/production quality versions, too... better for some songs and not as good for some though.
-
Uhhm... about an hour and a half, and I have no car and precious few friends with cars. This creates problems. (For example, I just went through several days of intense psychodrama finding someone who could drive me forty-five minutes so I could take the motherfuck*ng GRE. For a concert? This is not happeing.)
Oh. Well, in that case, don't go.
Seriously, I thought you were way the fuck closer to the Pioneer Valley than that. Perhaps even within PVTA range. Silly me.
-
Uhhm... about an hour and a half, and I have no car and precious few friends with cars. This creates problems. (For example, I just went through several days of intense psychodrama finding someone who could drive me forty-five minutes so I could take the motherfuck*ng GRE. For a concert? This is not happeing.)
Oh. Well, in that case, don't go.
Seriously, I thought you were way the fuck closer to the Pioneer Valley than that. Perhaps even within PVTA range. Silly me.
No worries. It's not like I've ever posted a clear map of my location on here, anyway.
(GRE updates for those who might still care: took it today. 740 Verbal, 730 Quantitative. I have no idea if those are actually good scores or not, relatively, but I think they're past the "get these or we'll laugh at you" requirements of the schools I want to apply to.)
-
Well, when I took it in '02, that Verbal would have been 98th percentile and the Quantitative around 80th. What about Analytical?
-
Well, when I took it in '02, that Verbal would have been 98th percentile and the Quantitative around 80th. What about Analytical?
It's Analytical Writing now, and thus it's not back yet, because they hand-grade the essays. That said, I'm pretty sure I hit that one out of the park. And yeah, so I heard from a friend of mine; apparently the median Verbal is something like 550, which is sort of pitiful compared to the Quantitative. (Shame I want to be a scientist, huh?)
-
So you don't do the logic games anymore? Huh. That was my best part.
-
I hate to break your dreams, but "Eavesdropping" is my college Japanese program's term for listening-comprehension exercises. Why? I dunno.
Ah, well, I'm sure Eavesdropping would have been better than what we did in my last few Japanese classes. Which were mostly of the "Slave over assigned reading which is never discussed in class" variety.
I know this thread is supposed to be about music, but does everyone have to go to grad school nowadays?
-
Pretty much. The problem is that most everyone goes to college now, so a four year degree has less and less importance - that's entry level at best.
-
I know this thread is supposed to be about music, but does everyone have to go to grad school nowadays?
I sure as hell do. That BA in philosophy ain't getting me far.
-
I don't know much about Iron and Wine, but Calexico are great. IMHO of course. Carry on.
I've only listened to a few Calexico MP3s, plus this "In The Reins" EP. It strikes me that Calexico fans might not be too excited about the EP either, seeing as how most of the songs (I believe) are I&W songs, and Sam Beam does most of the singing. It's more like Sam Beam and the Calexicos than a "split EP."
In any case, I'm interested in Calexico but inexperienced. Any suggestions on where to start digging into their discography?
-
I know this thread is supposed to be about music, but does everyone have to go to grad school nowadays?
I sure as hell do. That BA in philosophy ain't getting me far.
I did pretty well with a BA in Poli Sci and Spanish (which I never use).
I took the oath not to become a professional academic. That planet is too weird and scary for me to live on.
-
I've only listened to a few Calexico MP3s, plus this "In The Reins" EP. It strikes me that Calexico fans might not be too excited about the EP either, seeing as how most of the songs (I believe) are I&W songs, and Sam Beam does most of the singing. It's more like Sam Beam and the Calexicos than a "split EP."
In any case, I'm interested in Calexico but inexperienced. Any suggestions on where to start digging into their discography?
As a devoted Calexico fan, I'm certainly excited about the EP. It doesn't sound like any Calexico album, really, but it does have the Calexico signature. And yes, Sam Beam (right?) wrote and sang most of the material, but from what little of his material I've heard, it doesn't sound exactly like Iron and Wine, either. Also, I think Joey and Sam sing well together, and so although I do miss hearing Joey's voice in the foreground more often, the vocals on the EP are a nice revelation.
Calexico fans are probably used to Joey and John taking the back seat, with bands like Giant Sand and projects like OP8. They leave a stronger impression on this project, in my opinion--except maybe for the song, 'Lost in Space,' from OP8, which was written and sung by Joey.
My two favorite Calexico albums are "Feast of Wire" and "The Black Light," and I think that they are great places to start. One reason why "In the Reins" sounds different from anything Calexico has done in the past is the absence of the mariachi influence. So be prepared for that, but they are great albums.
-
if you want calexico, download the song "not even stevie nicks".
it's real nice
edit: or the cover of "andmoreagain" by love
-
Praise for Calexico
What he wrote.
~Paul
-
I've been making a lot of mix cd's recently, and I've learned a few things.
1. The Mountain Goats have a song for every occasion.
2. I like the live version of "Genius of Love," by the Tom Tom Club, much more than the album version.
3. "Stay Awake," a compilation album of different artists covering Disney songs is a great investment, because it contains a number of songs perfect for mix tapes- Sun Ra doing "Pink Elephants," Tom Waits singing "Heigh Ho" in such a way that you assume the singers are resurrection men, Sinead O'Conner doing a really good "Someday My Prince Will Come," Los Lobos doing "I Wan'a Be Like You", Stipe does something....it's all pretty good.
Also, while we're talking about the rigors of higher education...does anyone want to proofread my college essays? Actually, have I saved anyone's life, so they feel obligated to proofread my college essays? I kind of want to actually be in college this time next year, and I want to make sure my essays won't make schools shit themselves and die. Some of them are kind of funny.
-
I've been making a lot of mix cd's recently, and I've learned a few things.
1. The Mountain Goats have a song for every occasion.
You know, I've noticed this, and it's started to scare me, cause as soon as I think how lovely one of their love songs, like "Riches and Wonders" is, I immediately realize that they also have songs for the next time I've driving bitter and drunk across the country cursing the name of whoever the previous song'd been about. Which is an interesting combination of comforting and ominous for me, that they've got my back for every conceivable mood or situation.
In sadder news, I might not be able to go to their show in Boston, cause I have a quiz the next day worth 10%..... herggghhh.
2. I like the live version of "Genius of Love," by the Tom Tom Club, much more than the album version.
Dude, I watched the Stop Making Sense video for the first time a couple nights ago. It is transcendant.
3. "Stay Awake," a compilation album of different artists covering Disney songs is a great investment, because it contains a number of songs perfect for mix tapes- Sun Ra doing "Pink Elephants," Tom Waits singing "Heigh Ho" in such a way that you assume the singers are resurrection men, Sinead O'Conner doing a really good "Someday My Prince Will Come," Los Lobos doing "I Wan'a Be Like You", Stipe does something....it's all pretty good.
Oh my god, there's a whole album? I have quite frankly been listening to that Sun Ra song on the mix you sent me over and over and over, even more than I have been listening to the CD in its entirety, which is plenty.
Also, while we're talking about the rigors of higher education...does anyone want to proofread my college essays? Actually, have I saved anyone's life, so they feel obligated to proofread my college essays? I kind of want to actually be in college this time next year, and I want to make sure my essays won't make schools shit themselves and die. Some of them are kind of funny.
I can proofread the one you sent me, but if you want, y'know, a grown-up to do it, that's cool.
-
I've been making a lot of mix cd's recently, and I've learned a few things.
1. The Mountain Goats have a song for every occasion.
You know, I've noticed this, and it's started to scare me, cause as soon as I think how lovely one of their love songs, like "Riches and Wonders" is, I immediately realize that they also have songs for the next time I've driving bitter and drunk across the country cursing the name of whoever the previous song'd been about. Which is an interesting combination of comforting and ominous for me, that they've got my back for every conceivable mood or situation.
Holy shit I am so into the Mountain Goats these days. I was driving through a couple states south to see the SO and I put on the Coroner's Gambit, and I think it may just be the perfect driving album. God damn.
-
even if it's a reprint and not rare as hell any more, my copy of zopilote machine is totally great to me
but i'm thinking all hail west texas is my favorite ? or full force galesburg. i also liked we shall all be healed a lot more than anyone else seemed to, and i think sunset tree is lousy
coroner's gambit though, yeah i can see where youre coming from definitely
-
if you want calexico, download the song "not even stevie nicks".
it's real nice
edit: or the cover of "andmoreagain" by love
I love "Not Even Stevie Nicks." That whole album is great. And did they do "Andmoreagain," too? I have "Alone Again Or" on that Convict Pool EP, but they have some tour only EPs that I don't have.
Anyway, Paul, you gonna catch them down there? I don't know know where in Texas they'll be, but I know they are there a couple nights.
-
whoops i meant alone again or
.. carry on
-
Anyway, Paul, you gonna catch them down there? I don't know know where in Texas they'll be, but I know they are there a couple nights.
Shit man, they ain't playing in Houston.
~Paul
-
OK, so the Mountain Goats show was sold out, but that doesn't matter because I just found out John Cale is playing here in November, and god damned if I'm not going to be front row & centre, screaming like, um, a big girly geek.
-
I feel I should update you all that I've been relistening to Electric Version and it's consistently better than I remembered. But Mass Romantic is still significantly lovabler. I will take this to the ring.
-
I feel I should update you all that I've been relistening to Electric Version and it's consistently better than I remembered. But Mass Romantic is still significantly lovabler. I will take this to the ring.
I am not really prepared to argue about which NPs album is the awesomest. I tend to go in fits and starts, myself -- one day Electric Version has all my attention, then it's Twin Cinema, then I rediscover Cake or whatever. That said, I think I've pinned down the difference between them, at least to me. I think that TC has incredible songs -- some truly majestic stuff, really -- but that it just doesn't hang together as an album like EV does. It feels like a collection of songs they had lying around and not a full-scale work, but EV has a good coherent feel to it.
-
3 albums I'm really listening to right now are
My Morning Jacket - Z. Weird album for an americana band. Sad dance music.
The Residents - Roadworms. The album itself is a few years old, but I just got around to it. I think if you like Tom Waits you could probably appreciate this. Their last album, Animal Lover, used animal mating sounds and noises as percussion. Whales, humans, crickets, frogs, et al.
Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks. Great album with Steve Albini all over it. Punk from the Ukraine. Near dub sometimes. If any of you saw Everything Is Illuminated, Eugene Hutz is the lead singer of this band.
EDIT: The Last Waltz has been all over IFC lately, so I've been listening to that, too, I guess.
-
Right now I'm working on a review of the John Cale show I saw last weekend, and listening to his new album, which I got in the mail for free. I find this to be rad.
-
EDIT: The Last Waltz has been all over IFC lately, so I've been listening to that, too, I guess.
TIVO'ed it!
-
Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks. Great album with Steve Albini all over it. Punk from the Ukraine. Near dub sometimes. If any of you saw Everything Is Illuminated, Eugene Hutz is the lead singer of this band.
Sounds cool, but I'm just trying to figure out the Albini/dub connection.
-
I'm going to a Yo La Tengo Hanukkah show, in Hoboken, on the 29th of December. It will be the third time I will see Yo La Tengo live, and I just might shit myself.
-
....................................... ............Brown Santa! (http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/bshitterbrown.m3u)
-
Sounds cool, but I'm just trying to figure out the Albini/dub connection.
Well, he engineered it, and they are really heavily ska and dub sometimes, I guess is what I was trying to say.
-
Sounds cool, but I'm just trying to figure out the Albini/dub connection.
Well, he engineered it, and they are really heavily ska and dub sometimes, I guess is what I was trying to say.
Oooohhhhh, OK. I read it as something like it has an Albini like feel, and immediately I think of At Action Park by Shellac or Jesus Lizard's Liar. And then you mention dub? Say WHAT!?
-
I'm waiting for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah to arrive as I've heard lots of good things.
I listened to this at the record store today and it made me giggle on the first song. That means it passes The Test, which means I'll buy it when I have money.
I bought the 7 song Calexico/Iron and Wine album because they're PLAYING HERE IN TWO WEEKS. yeah, excited.
-
3 albums I'm really listening to right now are
My Morning Jacket - Z. Weird album for an americana band. Sad dance music.
.
Bozack has heard this, but this last wednesday my brother and I went to their last show of their tour, seeing as it was fittting that they end it in the hometown. My little brother goes to school with Jim James' little brother. Also, he lives next door to me. I'm not so huge of a fan anymore, but I like to tell people these things. So VHS or Beta opened and then MMJ starts when my bro gets a call from the other bro to see if he wants to go back stage. I am not invited (these dudes are 14) and I'm left to stew amongst the drunkies. I get re-seated twice and realize little bro has every intention of keeping me ditched so i go home after 4 songs, but he spends the rest of the night hanging out with the guys during and after the show. I was really angry, but then realized he'd have had a not-so-awesome time had he been nice enough to come back with me.
-
Bozack has heard this, but this last wednesday my brother and I went to their last show of their tour, seeing as it was fittting that they end it in the hometown. My little brother goes to school with Jim James' little brother. Also, he lives next door to me. I'm not so huge of a fan anymore, but I like to tell people these things. So VHS or Beta opened and then MMJ starts when my bro gets a call from the other bro to see if he wants to go back stage. I am not invited (these dudes are 14) and I'm left to stew amongst the drunkies. I get re-seated twice and realize little bro has every intention of keeping me ditched so i go home after 4 songs, but he spends the rest of the night hanging out with the guys during and after the show. I was really angry, but then realized he'd have had a not-so-awesome time had he been nice enough to come back with me.
I wanted to see them when they came through santa barbara, but that was mostly for Saul Williams. Was he still opening for them when you saw them?
-
Nope. VHS or Beta is another local band. They get way too much credit for being some repetitive dumbed-down wanna-be-French techno dance music without so much electronica. Dude jokingly called us "fuckers" because no one was dancing, but then he has a hipster mullet so I wasn't about to try and care. I'm not even gonna look up the lead singer's name.
-
It's Craig PAHFISTER.
Actually, it's Craig Pfunder, and he has some recockulous way of pronouncing it. My friends and I call him Pahfister because one day he was in Lynn's, and my friend Adam looked over and said, "Hey! There's Craig PAHFISTER!"
You all should go to the VHS or Beta website (http://www.vhsorbeta.com/main.html), if only to see how ridiculous these guys are. Pahfister is the second guy from the right on the main page, and his hair is...let's just say that my brother and I call insufferable hipster image fuckers "haircuts," in his honor. Check out the gallery, for completely generic indie rock band photos.
EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the following.
I bought Guided by Voices Bee Thousand, which is really good. And I really, really, really want this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B5XSK8/qid=1133221078/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2287621-3135028?v=glance&s=music&n=507846). I want it so, so, so badly.
-
i hate flash websites.
-
And I really, really, really want this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B5XSK8/qid=1133221078/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2287621-3135028?v=glance&s=music&n=507846). I want it so, so, so badly.
Yeah me too! If I buy it for you will you buy it for me? Doesn't that cancel it out or something? Remain in Light, especially, is an album that just screams to be heard in the best possible way. Wonder if they'll ever be released individually?
But, It's hard to picture me buying it anytime in the near future. I did get this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C8AWI/103-1663836-6300621?v=glance&n=5174&s=music&v=glance), though, and I never thought I would. But that was when I had a REAL job making REAL money.
So I bought T. Rex's Slider tonight, because I had some credit at my local record shop. Man it rocks. I was hoping they would have season 3 of KITH in, because that's the season with Bruce singing the Terrier song, and I love it so much, but they don't carry it (they do carry some DVDs). Oh well, I'll have to wait.
-
The music is well worth it. Listening to these SACDs will make you aware of how incredibly desolate the current musical landscape is. I find myself REALLY appreciating Dylan, the Dead, the Beatles, the Stones, the Doors.... Senility? Surely you jest. The music and songwriting of these groups ages well and endures.
Herghhh.
Reading that review of the Dylan box set actually drained me of life. I am literally older than I should be now. Three years or so just flew away into the dusty asshole of whoever "celavie" is.
-
Surely you jest.
Yeah, nothing worse than a douche bag who thinks that good music will die with Mick Jagger (I'm thinking that he'll outlive Dylan and McCartney. We already know that Ringo is next).
-
EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the following.
I bought Guided by Voices Bee Thousand, which is really good. And I really, really, really want this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B5XSK8/qid=1133221078/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2287621-3135028?v=glance&s=music&n=507846). I want it so, so, so badly.
Bee Thousand is seriously one of my most favorite albums ever. I wish there was a compilation though of all the EP's and B-Sides that were released before and after it though - the box set that came out a couple of years ago had two of them, but there were some amazing short print run EP's from that little era (Fast Japanese Spin Cycle, Static Airplane Jive, Get out of My Stations) - and there's apparently a lost Peel session floating about with slightly more intense versions of "Break Even" and "Do the Earth".
I can't find jack on an air date though... They actually may have just been both on the super rare Peel Out (in the States) comps, where each track had John Peel talking about each song. But the version of "Break Even" I heard on the Ole Miss radio station 10 years ago seemed like it had a larger sound than the Grand Hour version.
-
I'm the only person who thinks Bee Thousand is meh and Alien Lanes is their absolute masterwork.
How do you do?
-
I'm the only person who thinks Bee Thousand is meh and Alien Lanes is their absolute masterwork.
How do you do?
I actually like both almost equally - but thinking about it, I would rank Propeller above both of them. All three are big time favorites though.
-
Time to step up and be a dude.
This is the first Guided By Voices album I've bought.
I first got into them in like...hergh..sophomore year, when my brother, who was working at a record store, gave me Box (Abridged) (http://gbvdb.com/album.asp?albumid=926). I thought it was rad, and then promptly forgot about it until last year, when I started noticing the kick-ass songs coming up on my iTunes. Then, I googled "Guided By Voices torrents" and got some really awesome live show bootlegs (Live at the Bluebird, Bloomington, IN 10-25-04; Live at the Echo Lounge, Atlanta, GA, 7-10-04), which are just amazing.
So I finally decided to buy something. I'm planning on working my way through as much of the catalogue as possible. So, Alien Lanes is next?
-
So, Alien Lanes is next?
Either Propeller or Alien Lanes.
Propeller reminds me a lot of the Who - especially A Quick One or Sell Out. In some ways, it's a different record than a lot of what they did before or after. It's probably the closest Bob got to gigantic-sounding rock anthems when they were still recording on four tracks in a garage. I think this may have been actually done in a fairly servicable studio setup though. Either way, it was the most clean-sounding album they did in the early 90's.
You may be able to find it used sharing a CD with an album called Vampire on Titus. It's a good record, but about half the songs on it sound horrifyingly bootlegish. They sound like the vocals were recorded at the bottom of a well almost. If you see copies of VoT floating around, check the back - they should have everything here listed (http://gbvdb.com/album.asp?albumid=726).
Alien Lanes is closer to Bee Thousand sound and song style-wise than Propeller was. There's really great songs on both - I guess what has me putting Bee Thousand over is that more of its' songs were a lot more immediate to get into. More instant pop classics, I guess.
-
the new Destroyer is eating me alive :)
-
I just bought the Talking Heads Brick boxed set- all 8 studio albums, remastered, on DualDiscs- DVD video on the non-CD side. And I got it for a cool $40 off; thanks, Barnes & Nobles Employee Appreciation Week!
-
I just bought the Talking Heads Brick boxed set- all 8 studio albums, remastered, on DualDiscs- DVD video on the non-CD side. And I got it for a cool $40 off; thanks, Barnes & Nobles Employee Appreciation Week!
I'll give you some time, but I expect a review.
-
I just bought the Talking Heads Brick boxed set- all 8 studio albums, remastered, on DualDiscs- DVD video on the non-CD side. And I got it for a cool $40 off; thanks, Barnes & Nobles Employee Appreciation Week!
I'll give you some time, but I expect a review.
I'm expecting him to make us all a copy.
~Paul
-
i'm gonna find a barnes and noble employee and give them a card
man i appreciate those guys
-
Does anybody have the US release of The Go Team album? I go the import a few months ago but the US version has a couple of different tracks apparently and I would like to aquire them w/o rebuying the CD.
-
In the last few days, the New York Dolls s/t album has only left my car CD player when I've brought it inside. I am listening to it now, too. I don't know what brought this on, but I am loving it. It's nearly perfect.
-
Does anybody have the US release of The Go Team album? I go the import a few months ago but the US version has a couple of different tracks apparently and I would like to aquire them w/o rebuying the CD.
I'm a little late here, but I have the US version. Do you have particular wishes vis-a-vis bit rate/format?
Unrelated question: is it okay to like Diane Cluck? Her latest CD is very awesome but when I'm listening to it I get this Ani/Joni vibe and that sort of frightens me. Not that there's a problem with Ani or Joni, but I'd just like to know beforehand if I'm going to have to start buying patchouli and putting my hair in dreads. (Also I might have to become a lesbian, which would be fairly complicated for me.)
-
(Also I might have to become a lesbian, which would be fairly complicated for me.)
Very expensive, at least.
-
Does anybody have the US release of The Go Team album? I go the import a few months ago but the US version has a couple of different tracks apparently and I would like to aquire them w/o rebuying the CD.
I'm a little late here, but I have the US version. Do you have particular wishes vis-a-vis bit rate/format?
Awesome. I'd prefer mp3 just for portability. Being a huge geek I use -alt preset standard but I'll take whatever. Do you have a method of transport? I can see if I can allow you to FTP them to up to my site.
The two new tracks are We Just Won't Be Defeated and Hold Yr Terror Close. Which is frustrating because the whole reason I got the import was that the US release was supposed to have fewer tracks as the US label was having trouble getting licenses for some of the samples. I was also hoping that they'd do like Wilco and put the bonus tracks up on their site for free but no dice.
-
Awesome. I'd prefer mp3 just for portability. Being a huge geek I use -alt preset standard but I'll take whatever. Do you have a method of transport? I can see if I can allow you to FTP them to up to my site.
If you can give me FTP access that would be cool, otherwise I can just put them up on my web space for a while. I was at my girlfriend's place last night but tonight I will definitely be able to upload them. Provided, that is, that I don't get too drunk at the company HOLIDAY PARTY and miss the last train home before the damn subway strike.
-
hold yr terror close is pretty dumb, they're going for a high school musical sort of sound with that singular sound of pianos in a gym
singing too i guess, pretty slight, really interrupts everything, dumb dumb
haven't heard just won't be defeated. might be better.
today i picked up dungen's 2-disc "ta det lugnt" reissue and "talking heads 77" on old vinyl
plus the new liars record leaked onto the internet and it will stalk the streets by night let me tell you !
-
am I the only person in the world that cannot get into the talking heads?
They played at my SO's parent's wedding. I cannot explain how this happened, considering I have been told many a tale about how they were so poor that they had to steal hotdogs from grocery stores when they first got married. Maybe it was before Talking Heads were big? Maybe they knew someone in the band?
-
am I the only person in the world that cannot get into the talking heads?
You're not. My girlfriend loves them (but then again she's 33). I could never wrap my mind around their stuff (but then again I generally started paying attention to music during the grunge era, which means I have wooden ears, and couldn't care less for much that was created in the 80's)
-
They played at my SO's parent's wedding.
Dang!
-
Dang!
You think I could persuade Byrne to sort something out for my mate's wedding?
He's stuck with shitty Ukrainian wedding bands at the moment!
-
You think I could persuade Byrne to sort something out for my mate's wedding?
He's stuck with shitty Ukrainian wedding bands at the moment!
Are you sure that Byrne is in the Ukrainian wedding band?
-
Are you sure that Byrne is in the Ukrainian wedding band?
Yeah yeah.
OK. My mate was the last person alluded to, but I'll give you it for the shakey sentence structure.
Dang.
-
If Byrne isn't in the Ukranian band, he might be putting their album out.
-
If Byrne isn't in the Ukranian band, he might be putting their album out.
Tell me about it (this the dude who once came up with the term "psychedelic hillbilly" to describe Tom Zé's sound. That's probably why I avoid listening to Tom Zé's stuff to this day, maybe I'm not ready for that yet)...
-
Um yeah, I did mean to say "is not in" rather than "is in".
But it looks like everyone understood that anyhow.
-
Um yeah, I did mean to say "is not in" rather than "is in".
But it looks like everyone understood that anyhow.
Hey, if he was it would probably be OK. But they sound just like any wedding band - casio keyboard, all that nastiness - but then do Ukrainian folk.
-
I recently obtained a copy of the forthcoming Belle & Sebastian, and, so far, so good. I have the new Cat Power, but haven't listened to it yet, but, as I'm starting to take the train to work next week, I'm sure I'll get some good iPod time in (Note: This message, for some reason, took forever to complete, and I have now listened to some of the new Cat Power. It's good). I'm very excited for the Tortoise/Bonnie 'Prince' Billy record (thanks for the track Starlight!). It'd be nice to see them tour together, but, honestly, I'd rather see BPB tour alone.
I'm still getting more into AC Newman/The New Pornographers. I think AC Newman's a genius. I'm seeing them open for Belle & Sebastian up in Seattle this coming March. Does Neko Case typically tour with the band?
Built to Spill comes out with a new record in April, and I've heard most of it. It sounds like it will be a good one, a return to form. Probably not their best, but certainly better than their last one. Calexico's new record comes out soon, too, I think.
I'm listening to loads of Saint Etienne. I'm trying to decide whether I should drive down to see them in LA in February, or go to my friend's birthday party in Wendover (which means I'll just get really drunk. I don't gamble much). They are on the same day. Has anyone seen a Saint Etienne show? Is it worth the drive and money I don't really have (but will have more of by then), plus the risk of hurting my friend's feelings?
Stereolab's touring too, and of course coming nowhere near Salt Lake. I'd also love to see them, as I've been listening to them quite a bit lately.
Looks like a good year for music.
-
I recently obtained a copy of the forthcoming Belle & Sebastian, and, so far, so good.
Oh man, I'm so out of the loop I didn't even notice this came out. Or, erm, was coming out. But evidently it's been on the internet since early December. D'oh! I do love listening to albums early, but B&S is one of the few bands where I'll actually buy the CD when it comes out.
-
Oh man, I'm so out of the loop I didn't even notice this came out. Or, erm, was coming out. But evidently it's been on the internet since early December. D'oh! I do love listening to albums early, but B&S is one of the few bands where I'll actually buy the CD when it comes out.
I just discovered it the other day. I'll also buy it sometime after it comes out.
-
I've only heard one track from the new B&S. it sounded pretty good, but after the last album, I'm a bit wary... didn't entirely like that one as much. from interviews, I'm hearing it'll be more poppy and fresh, so we'll see. I'll prob. try to find the rest later today.
Speaking of Neko Case... has her new solo album leaked yet? I thought I read that it had somewhere, but couldn't find it at all when I tried searching... very much anticipating that one!
-
Neko Case track from her new album. It (the track) is pretty damn good.
http://media.anti.com/neko_case/fox_confessor_brings_the_flood/Star_Witness.mp3
-
new stereolab leaked, chavs
it's real nice !
-
Just bought this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AXW500/002-7734725-6772844?v=glance&n=5174) yesterday and am enjoying it immensely.
-
Just bought this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AXW500/002-7734725-6772844?v=glance&n=5174) yesterday and am enjoying it immensely.
I guess I could use an Iron Maiden for these times.
How's that about them being Pentecostalists?
-
I liked the idea of an old-school metal band being on Matador. Also, I was banging my head at the Tower listening station involuntarily.
I chose it over the Arcade Fire record. I've gotta be me.
-
Neko Case track from her new album. It (the track) is pretty damn good.
http://media.anti.com/neko_case/fox_confessor_brings_the_flood/Star_Witness.mp3
Thanks, now I'm really anticipating hearing more!
Have a can!
-
Also, I was banging my head at the Tower listening station involuntarily.
Thank you for this mental image.
-
Thank you for this mental image.
What, a jowly dude with short greying hair and glasses banging his head? You're welcome, I guess.
I'm just happy the store was empty.
-
Toad the Wet Sprocket. I never tried to hear any of their music, because I couldn't believe that in this cruel and unforgiving universe, a band could have that good a name and really be any good. But Pandora is playing a song of theirs now and it seems fine. Kind of like those Barenaked Ladies in that they don't rock too hard or rock not enough but are Just Right.
Any thoughts? Am I doomed to Toad disappointment if I pursue this further?
-
I used to be really into them. Well, no, a friend of mine did, but I really enjoyed listening to one of their albums. Hang on...
This one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000027JR/qid=1138323342/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0024731-4269510?n=507846&s=music&v=glance).
I haven't heard but a couple songs from it in years but I liked it. I hate The Barenaked Ladies, though, so my opinion may be shit to you.
-
I own and enjoy Toad's "Pale" album.
-
The Smoking Popes are coming to Houston! Man, if only Gin Blossoms and a fresh-faced Weezer were opening for them it would be perfect.
-
Holy crap Smoking Popes are still around?
Gah, they remind me of the ex-wife and drugs in the dorm room.
"Rubellaaaaa"
These were memories I did not need.
-
Gah, they remind me of the ex-wife[...]in the dorm room.
You were married while you lived in the dorms?
-
Well, she was just the gf back then. The wife/ex-wife bits came later.
-
Tell us more. This thread is staying too on-topic.
-
Uh.. it's a long story that is basically pretty bad.
Essentially the end is the best part, so I'll skip there.
Not by my choice I had been celibate for about 3 years (we were together for 5 total) by the end of the relationship because "it hurt" and she "thought she might have endometriosis". When in reality it turns out that I was actually just a nice guy to bring in the bucks while she "finished college". (That last bit can be read fucked other people if you want)
Quite literally we broke up the same month she was scheduled to finish, coincidentally enough.
Anyway, without getting more into reasons and whatnot; why did I wait 3 long ass years without getting some? I don't know folks, sometimes we put our trust in the wrong places and when we think we're helping someone we're really just letting them screw us over.
-
See womby? You brought everyone down by asking.
I am sorry folks, I am not trying to work some rough chuckles these days!
-
I think that is an interesting story with a lot of possible life lessons to be drawn but I will leave it at this: Ladies, if you think you have endometriosis for three years, what you're supposed to do is go to the doctor.
Wait a minute, there's a band called the Smoking Popes?
-
Yes there is, and they give me bad memories.
Fuck you Smoking Popes, Fuck... You!
Also ladies if you tell your SO that you think you have endometriosis and can't have sex with him at such a time, please do not have sex with others. That is all I ask.
-
Also ladies if you tell your SO that you think you have endometriosis and can't have sex with him at such a time, please do not have sex with others. That is all I ask.
Even if the "others" they're having sex with means misterqueue?
-
Even if the "others" they're having sex with means misterqueue?
Heh.. I may be a sick fuck but I don't think I want anyone else to know how that felt if they can avoid such things.
So yes, even then.
-
i recently picked up a copy of the Toadies' live album.
it is the rock.
and i am saddened that they have apparently drifted off into the ether on their divers vectors.
-
i recently picked up a copy of the Toadies' live album.
it is the rock.
and i am saddened that they have apparently drifted off into the ether on their divers vectors.
Yeah, what happened to the Toadies? They put out 1 album of awesomeness then disappeared.
They are from Texas BTW, in case anyone didn't know that.
~Paul
-
I think that the Pleather ep and first 3 demos are the best by the Toadies. Seriously, that stuff makes their first full length sound like such a steaming pile by comparison (except "Tyler").
-
Are we talking about two different bands?
-
Are we talking about two different bands?
Yeah, I think so. There is/was an actually "The Toadies." Though using that name as a diminutive for Toad the Wet Sprocket is a pretty cool idea.
-
I think that the Pleather ep and first 3 demos are the best by the Toadies. Seriously, that stuff makes their first full length sound like such a steaming pile by comparison (except "Tyler").
Well that shit must rock like a hurricane because as I have stated, the Possum Kingdom album kicks my lame ass.
~Paul
-
Well that shit must rock like a hurricane because as I have stated, the Possum Kingdom album kicks my lame ass.
~Paul
The early stuff has got negative mercy. I'll dig up the mp3s of their demos I have and host them somewhere if you would like to hear. The Pleather ep has Mister Love, Possum Kingdom, Happy Face, and the insanely awesome Got a Heart, all recorded at an ideal level of rawness.
edit: oops, Pleather also has the song Ruth.
-
OK, now tell me about The New Pornographers.
-
Excellent choice. They're a "supergroup" on the Matador label. It is basically impossible to be unhappy while listening to their music. I particularly like All For Swinging You Around and From Blown Speakers. You can listen to samples of damned near everything on their site (http://www.thenewpornographers.com) (I advise that you don't accidentally leave off "the").
More details here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Pornographers).
-
OK, now tell me about The New Pornographers.
Wombat,
I'm now more into them thanks to this board, specifically V-Adore, who ranted and raved about them a while back. I've liked just about everything I've heard from them so far. Also, I'm seeing them up in Seattle in March, when they open for Belle & Sebastian.
May I suggest AC Newman's album? It came out in 2004, and I can't remember the title. And yes, I'm too lazy to google or amazon or allmusic it or whatever, but, come on. It's the only album he released in 2004. It may be his only album. It's fantastic. Oh, he's the brains behind The New Pornographers. I'll be doing a mix CD soon, with a song of his on it, and so let me know if you want a copy (though it may be a while before I get it done).
-
Y'all are so good with the education.
I have always been disturbed by the name Neko Case. It sounds like something #####***** would make up. Also, you kids today, why are the song clips on websites so short? I need more time than that to make up my mind.
-
It's these kids super-short attention span. Not enough Ritalin in the world.
-
I'd just like to take some credit for exposing V to the New Pornographers via my mix thankyouverymuch.
Also, there are 4 full songs available on their label's site. http://www.matadorrecords.com/the_new_pornographers/music.html
Miles is talking about A.C. Newman's album The Slow Wonder. I don't like his solo stuff as much but I do still like it.
-
I owe my love of New Pornographers (especially Neco Case) to this board as well. Was it on your Mix Cort Jester? I'm sorry i've forgotten and the disc are back at the house. Before TOUAMB Neco Case was just that girl with the killer bod and the naked pictures on a pool table. Would someone please find those pictures again...
~Paul
-
I'd just like to take some credit for exposing V to the New Pornographers via my mix thankyouverymuch.
Actually, uh, the thing that got me interested was Carlos's mix, which featured "July Jones" prominently. Oh, that song.
-
I put From Blown Speakers on my mix, and then you posted "I really need to get into them" or words to that effect in the thread about it so I thought I could make the claim
-
Well, I don't remember now. Maybe I'm exercising revisionist history here. Really, does it matter? They're raddening my life AS WE SPEAK.
-
I have always been disturbed by the name Neko Case. It sounds like something ******##### would make up. Also, you kids today, why are the song clips on websites so short? I need more time than that to make up my mind.
Did you listen to the Neko Case mp3 posted a few pages back? It is the full song and not scary.
-
best new pornographers song: TO WILD HOMES
anyone wanna front i will take them to town two times
-
best new pornographers song: TO WILD HOMES
anyone wanna front i will take them to town two times
I must respectfully disagree. I will say only this: "The Laws Have Changed."
I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR.
-
The Laws Have Changed is in my top 5 (maybe top 3, depends on my mood) but All for Swinging You Around is undisputed champion.
-
The last five songs on Electric Version are all beautiful, especially in order.
I have yet to acquire Mass Romantic, but like half the songs on Twin Cinema are also treasure. I still can't stop listening to "Jackie Dressed in Cobras" when the mood strikes me.
-
It is basically impossible to be unhappy while listening to their music.
Yes, I see this now.
According to this Borders website here, they only have Twin Cinema at the one around the corner from me. Will this keep me happy enough while I wait for the others to come in the mail? Of the whole songs on their website, the ones from that album were not my favorites.
My home is being taken over by Canadian bands. Those wily Northerners.
-
I like it best. But apparently I'm alone in this.
-
Twin Cinema will make you happy. It's not as good as Electric Version, in my opinion, but that's like saying that a sapphire's less pretty than a diamond. Both of them are basically like treasure.
-
Twin Cinema will make you happy. It's not as good as Electric Version, in my opinion, but that's like saying that a sapphire's less pretty than a diamond. Both of them are basically like treasure.
I think they ARE treasure. At least, I'm pretty sure that there were some diamonds and sapphires mixed in with all of the gold coins in Scrooge McDuck's giant swimming pool/money vault.
If those McDucks have fooled me again, I will be FURIOUS.
-
DAMN those people at Borders who have no respect for the alphabet. I couldn't find the damn thing.
Eh, it's OK. I am now going crazy on Amazon, crazy I tell you.
-
You should go to Revolution Records on Conn. right by the Van Ness stop. It's so freaking awesome. Sometimes I just sit in the listening rooms watching the lava lite and looking at the articles from a 1983 copy of Sesame Street magazine.
-
Indeed a New Pornographers song was on my last widely-distributed mix, as was Neko's "Deep Red Bells." I think "Letter From an Occupant" is their best track, but there are many fine ones to choose from.
Have you heard about the big fat Best Buy $7.99 indie CD sale? (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat81900050045) There is much hand-wriging as to whether this is a good thing, or whether it's going to destroy the few remaining independent music stores left in this country. All I know is, I'm picking up the most recent New Pornographers record after work today, and I'm mildly annoyed that I paid more for Bloc Party and Broken Social Scene.
-
You should go to Revolution Records on Conn. right by the Van Ness stop. It's so freaking awesome. Sometimes I just sit in the listening rooms watching the lava lite and looking at the articles from a 1983 copy of Sesame Street magazine.
Cort thinks I should take my actual physical body out of the neighborhood to buy a CD? I don't think I've done this since lava lites were in fashion the first time around.... No, wait, I'm not THAT old.
-
I meant mainly because you can listen to any CD they have and they tend to carry a lot of the kinds of bands that we discuss here. I know I've been at off-peak so they'd let me take 6 or 7 CDs into the listening room and stay there for over an hour. None of this 30-second-samples-of-mainstream-stuff-on-a-tiny-comuter-with-an-uncomfortable-chair crap
And there's a 10% discount if you have a recent movie stub from the Uptown.
-
do you guys listen to destroyer (dan bejar (the nasal voiced new pornographer)'s band)
because destroyer is probably your best bet as far as good things go
-
None of this 30-second-samples-of-mainstream-stuff-on-a-tiny-comuter-with-an-uncomfortable-chair crap
Ah, that sounds interesting. Just what I wanted. A good project for when I'm unemployed again.
-
do you guys listen to destroyer (dan bejar (the nasal voiced new pornographer)'s band)
because destroyer is probably your best bet as far as good things go
I'm not a fan. I got one album from eMusic but only liked one song, and when I saw them open for NP they really weren't all that great. But I really wanted to like them because hey, Dan Bejar.
-
if the one album you heard was either "this night" or "your blues", you should probably check out either "thief" or "streethawk" before giving up entirely
or, whatever
-
It was Streekhawk, actually. Not bad, just not my bag. The SO likes them
-
I just bought the Talking Heads Brick boxed set- all 8 studio albums, remastered, on DualDiscs- DVD video on the non-CD side. And I got it for a cool $40 off; thanks, Barnes & Nobles Employee Appreciation Week!
OK, so is it worth it? I mean, buying the Talking Heads albums I have again so I can get the new mix?
-
I mean, I did it, but that was also because I had never bought a Talking Heads album un-used- I figured that it was time for me to hit the kitty. In regards to the mix, I mean...I'm no audiophile, and maybe it's just my brain playing tricks on me, but the new mix sounds really good. For just one instance- I had never noticed that bird sounds in "Love -> Building on Fire" before. The new mix is really clear and has a really great range.
A++ WOULD BUY AGAIN
-
Yeah, that's the tough thing with these new mixes/masters coming out for just about every band that recorded before 1993. It sounds good, but I can't really tell for sure, as my ear isn't that well-trained. I do know that the Rolling Stone re-master series made a big difference, but that was partially because there had been a big mistake in mastering the first round of CDs.
Anyway, I may just buy them separately. I only own the first five, and can't really get into much after Speaking in Tongues.
-
How come none of you ever told me how much I like American Analog Set? I wish you all ill.
-
What album/s have you heard? I haven't heard the most recent, but have heard just about everything up until it. Favorite two are Golden Band and Know by Heart.
-
I bought a John Peel collection off of eBay-
6 DVDs containing 264 Radio One shows. 1 DVD with 20 Finnish Radio Mafia shows. 3 DVDs with 7 TV appearances. 1 CD with radio tributes. It's like 540 HOURS of music, not counting the TV stuff. I paid a dollar per ten hours of music.
Everything is awesome.
EDIT- Not only does the set come with everything seen above, but for some reason the maker decided to fill the extra space on one of the discs with a bunch of Bonnie "Prince" Billy albums. I'm almost certain this was made specifically for me.
-
What album/s have you heard? I haven't heard the most recent, but have heard just about everything up until it. Favorite two are Golden Band and Know by Heart.
Pretty much just the new one.
Free downloadage here (http://www.amanset.com/recordings.htm) and at Salon (http://www.salon.com/ent/audiofile/index.html?item=/ent/audiofile/2005/09/29/analog/index.html).
-
The new Belle and Sebastian got a glowing review over at Pitchfork. They are a band that seems interesting to me, but i've never actually heard other than one cut off of someone's mix tape from last year (or was it the year before?). I would like to hear your opinion of Belle and Sebastian and their new album. Jough, you're a big fan aren't you?
~Paul
-
The new Belle and Sebastian got a glowing review over at Pitchfork.
Forgive me, indie folks, but: this makes me nervous. Hoo boy.
-
Can I drag this thread back to New Pornographers for a minute? Damn, this music is like drugs. Thank you all.
Oh and - I got my order from Amazon and it was two CDs from New Pornographers and two from Bare Naked Ladies. I didn't realize how bizarre that was when I made the order.
Now, a bunch of Talking Heads on CD also seems like a good idea. I would not have bought this before, because I have a rule against being the kind of old fogey who only buys music from when they were younger. But now that I have bought like eight CDs in a row by people I never heard before last month, I think it's OK.
-
Forgive me, indie folks, but: this makes me nervous. Hoo boy.
Pitchfork ain't that bad. And the new album is good, by the way.
-
Now, a bunch of Talking Heads on CD also seems like a good idea. I would not have bought this before, because I have a rule against being the kind of old fogey who only buys music from when they were younger. But now that I have bought like eight CDs in a row by people I never heard before last month, I think it's OK.
I'm so proud of you right now Wombat. I've got a little tear in my eye. Now, we all expect a mix disc. A little bit of the old, a little bit of the new.
~Paul
-
Forgive me, indie folks, but: this makes me nervous. Hoo boy.
Pitchfork is a bit of a whipping boy around here, but there is no doubt that they are rabid fans of a lot of the same bands that we are. I mean, they gave New Pornographers (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/n/new-pornographers/twin-cinema.shtml) a 9 rating. So, what Miles said, they "ain't that bad."
~Paul
-
I guess what gets to me about Pitchfork is that they're frequently pretentious, even when they share my opinions, and more damningly, I never have any actual feel for the music they've reviewed. There's nothing that irritates me more than a review that doesn't give me any idea whether or not I'll like the reviewee, and reviews that don't even give me any objective information about the reviewee confuse me and frustrate me even more. I understand that writing about music is like dancing about architecture, but honestly, guys.
Mind you, I don't go around all Pitchfork-hating. I just am never sure whether to trust their endorsements, is all. If the B&S is good, I'll see about acquiring.
-
I guess what gets to me about Pitchfork is that they're frequently pretentious, even when they share my opinions, and more damningly, I never have any actual feel for the music they've reviewed. There's nothing that irritates me more than a review that doesn't give me any idea whether or not I'll like the reviewee, and reviews that don't even give me any objective information about the reviewee confuse me and frustrate me even more. I understand that writing about music is like dancing about architecture, but honestly, guys.
Mind you, I don't go around all Pitchfork-hating. I just am never sure whether to trust their endorsements, is all. If the B&S is good, I'll see about acquiring.
Well I did ask because I value your opinion more than Pitchforks.
~Paul
-
i am incredilbly serious when i say that Clutch's ***** Hive/Exodus album is the best of this decade.
if i hadn't already chosen my epitaph, that would be it.
-
i am incredilbly serious when i say that Clutch's ##### Hive/Exodus album is the best of this decade.
That endorsement is enough for me. I will make my purchase this very day.
~Paul
-
The new Belle & Sebastian is okay - in my opinion it's their second worst album (behind Fold Your Hands Child You Walk Like a Peasant) but it's not as good as their previous album, and not nearly as good as the one-two punch of "If You're Feeling Sinister" (their best) and "The Boy with the Arab Strap" (released a year later, many of the songs from the previous session, and also very good with the exception of two tracks that I actually had to REMOVE from the album and re-burn).
Anyway, if you've ever wondered what it would sound like if The Smiths, The Sundays, and The Proclaimers had a baby, check out Belle & Sebastian. "If You're Feeling Sinister" is undoubtedly their best album. And some of the EPs released between those two glorious albums are also among their best songs.
FWIW, I've hated the side-projects that the members of B&S have put out over the years. Looper and The Gentle Waves in particular were utterly hateful and not worth my $12.
-
looper's the one that was on all those ibm commercials right ? the "c'mon .. c'mon" song ? that was kind of an adorable song
yeah i dig on the life pursuit. i'm not huge on b and s but i like these songs
-
Bringing this thread together with the other one, the spouse walked in on the New Pornographers for the first time tonight and said "They sound like the Beatles!" I objected to this and we agreed to compromise on 'sort of retro.'
-
Bringing this thread together with the other one, the spouse walked in on the New Pornographers for the first time tonight and said "They sound like the Beatles!" I objected to this and we agreed to compromise on 'sort of retro.'
I dunno, I can sort of understand this. If I had to describe it (slightly pretentiously), I'd say they played rock that had a new sound without affecting that "we're ashamed of pop history" thing a lot of experimental indie bands take up, so you get music that sounds new and fresh but also reminiscent of good old stuff. It's not so much retro as it is unashamed of the past and not reinventing-the-wheel-y.
-
i am incredilbly serious when i say that Clutch's ##### Hive/Exodus album is the best of this decade.
if i hadn't already chosen my epitaph, that would be it.
That endorsement is enough for me. I will make my purchase this very day.
~Paul
Clutching my Clutch (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN11010-E-1024.jpg)
~Paul
-
Clutching my Clutch (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN11010-E-1024.jpg)
~Paul
BooYah.
did i tell you it rocked,
or did i tell you it rocked.
-
did i tell you it rocked
You told me it rocked. However I couldn't understand why it was so staticy. I thought I had a defective copy. Then I played some other music and it was also staticy. I thought my i-pod had gone bad. Then I realized my phone jack wasn't plugged in all the way. Problem solved. I'll give it a non staticy listen in about 18 minutes. Thanks for the recommendation.
Reminds me of Monster Magnet.
"First we get some surgery
Lost the kids then our identities.
But one thing I know for a fact,
Moustache stays right where it's at."
~Paul
-
Reminds me of Monster Magnet.
"First we get some surgery
Lost the kids then our identities.
But one thing I know for a fact,
Moustache stays right where it's at."
oh shit, that's totally, eh, serendipitous or somesuch. you have a car that shoots fire, too,
which is sort of like a primer grey camaro. or something.
anyways,
song 1 is, to me, like, reminscent, or, maybe a nod to some of their older songs.
keep in mind the keyboardist/organist only hooked up with them recently,
played on 3 or 4 songs last album.
so,
keep that in mind that the other 4 have been together for a real long time,
and the organist is new.
-
wondering what cats think of the new fuhlaming lips record
i usually am not all about the band but it has got a handful of tracks that make me pretty happy
-
I am so confused by that
isn't this album supposed to come out a year from now?
how can it be leaked if it isn't done, is what I'm asking.
-
I am so confusetelling by that
isn't this album supposed to come out a year from now?
how can it be leaked if it isn't done, is what I'm asking.
Yeah, I don't get why people want to hear unfinished tracks. And if it's a year away from being completed, what are they hearing? I'm thinking at this point all they would have is basically Wayne and the boys sitting in the studio making fart noises.
~Paul
-
I don't know. I don't generally mind hearing rough cuts of tracks. If you see the band on tour before the album comes out, you're likely to hear the songs anyway, in at least slightly different form.
-
it comes out in, like, april or something, doesn't it ?
i mean this is the final album, not rough cuts or anything. bombastic as it's gonna git at this pt
edit: yeah, apr 4 '06 (http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001736208)
-
Ok, that's different. I can wait though. A new Flaming Lips record. Joy of Joys, I spent many an hour listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink *****s. I used the album art as a desktop image for about a year. Yeah that ones an awesome album. My expectations are high for this new one. I forgot that it was coming out so soon.
~Paul
-
I try so hard to like Yoshimi...
but I"m still that guy who pisses off his friends by being all "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, goddamnit!", all listening to "Jesus Shootin' Heroin" and being mad when people haven't heard of it, all having the entire Lips' discography on my computer, all burning mix cds for friends which are actually just a whole album, in order, with maybe Yoshime Pt. 1 at the end of it...
-
I try so hard to like Yoshimi...
but I"m still that guy who pisses off his friends by being all "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, goddamnit!"
Seconded. Not that I have friends, but...
-
hey guys
folk t-rex vs glam t-rex?
what do you think
because i am digging furiously on "unicorn" at the moment
-
That's a question that doesn't even really need asking.
Although I was suprised that some of his folkier stuff is actually pretty good.
-
folk t-rex vs glam t-rex?
Glam of course, but the folky stuff is good too.
~Paul
-
OK, I'm looking through all my old CDs to decide what to RIP and BURN and SHRED AND KILL KILL KILL and whatever I have to do to copy it to my new MP3 player...
So, I have this Hootie and the Blowgiraffe that I am listening to for the first time in ages. I, um, like it. Does this make me a bad person?
-
Hell no, that is one catchy album.
I however cannot ever listen to it again. I worked in a CD store when it first came out, and because it would seriously sell a few copies whenever we played it the boss had me play it ALL THE DAMN DAY for like, two months straight.
I cannot listen to the music of 1994-1995 at all really. Please, no more Oasis, Toadies, Deep Blue Something, Silverchair, Hootie, Alanis, Biggie, or Dave Matthews "Under the Table and Dreaming", thank you.
-
I've never been fond of Hootie and the Blowgiraffe, but that reminds me of something. I dated a girl once and she was obsessed with them, and the Counting Crows. And not only was she obsessed with them, her family was. When I told her that I couldn't stand either band, she told me it would be a problem. She broke up with me a week later.
Anyway, I recently purchased Saint Etienne's Tiger Bay. It's gorgeous. I have most of the tracks from the album on a compilation, but the tracks I didn't have are a wonderful addition to my library. Also, Like a Motorway, one of the finest songs ever recorded, on this disc has an additional verse and is at least a minute longer than the one I have.
-
today i learned that assuming a band's complete album will be great just because a song of theirs on "nuggets" is great isn't alwaze wise:
(http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd600/d619/d6196673fp1.jpg)
the nazz
-
I've never been fond of Hootie and the Blowgiraffe, but that reminds me of something. I dated a girl once and she was obsessed with them, and the Counting Crows. And not only was she obsessed with them, her family was. When I told her that I couldn't stand either band, she told me it would be a problem. She broke up with me a week later.
You have to kind of respect such an almost religious devotion to music. Even if it's the wrong music. I mean, how would you have raised the children?