The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on January 26, 2006, 03:46:41 pm

Title: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: wombat on January 26, 2006, 03:46:41 pm
So I was about to order one of these (http://www.beeswaxmagazine.com/current.html), because what's five bucks and who could resist "a high quality, offset-print edition of the Cartilage Head series"?

But then I read this, and ugh:

Quote
So, who are we? Beeswax is two co-editors, John Peck and Laureen Shifley, who decided one day in October that the world needs a brand new litmag that caters to up-and-coming writers and artists and strives to find an artistic space that exists somewhere between pre-defined genres;

I don't think I can make myself order something that says it's all about good writing but calls itself a 'litmag.'  But maybe I'm just an old fart.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 26, 2006, 04:38:54 pm
So I was about to order one of these (http://www.beeswaxmagazine.com/current.html), because what's five bucks and who could resist "a high quality, offset-print edition of the Cartilage Head series"?

But then I read this, and ugh:

I don't think I can make myself order something that says it's all about good writing but calls itself a 'litmag.'  But maybe I'm just an old fart.

I AM RHEUMATRON THE MALEVOLENT CYBORG AND I COME TO YOU FROM THE FUTURE TO ... UH ... FEEL YOUNGER. HOW ABOUT THAT CHUMBAWUMBA? SYNTAX ERROR
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Biz Markizzle on January 26, 2006, 04:47:07 pm
I AM RHEUMATRON THE MALEVOLENT CYBORG AND I COME TO YOU FROM THE FUTURE TO ... UH ... FEEL YOUNGER. HOW ABOUT THAT CHUMBAWUMBA? SYNTAX ERROR

I know that I'm new and all but I sort of feel like this thread should just stop there.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: acoxcae on January 26, 2006, 04:51:46 pm
I bought one - mostly because I don't think $5 is too high a price to pay for POTENTIAL.  Even if it's terrible, I probably would've wasted that $5 in some other stupid way, I might as well get some reading material out of it.

I'll let you guys know how it is when I receive it, and then we can tear it and its authors into tiny shreds of former human beings.




late edit: I still can't spell
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: wombat on January 26, 2006, 05:00:48 pm

 and then we can tear it and its authors into tiny shreds of former human beings.

Ah!  There is that.  Well, maybe I'll get one after all then.

And Bobby I know that I asked for it this time but if you keep making fun of my age I swear I will hire AugustWest to come and lobby you till you weep bloody tears.  He can do it, in a fedora, dammit.
 
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: AugustWest on January 26, 2006, 05:07:44 pm
/rubs hands together in a sinister manner.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: misterqueue on January 26, 2006, 05:11:23 pm
Ah!  There is that.  Well, maybe I'll get one after all then.

And Bobby I know that I asked for it this time but if you keep making fun of my age I swear I will hire AugustWest to come and lobby you till you weep bloody tears.  He can do it, in a fedora, dammit.
 


...

Don't tempt me to write that, seriously.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 26, 2006, 08:21:32 pm
I just think Wombat's title should be changed from "English-Speaking Pizza" to "RHEUMATRON THE MALEVOLENT CYBORG."
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: wombat on January 26, 2006, 09:08:27 pm
No, it is obvious to any right-thinking person that that should be Bobby's title.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 26, 2006, 09:52:03 pm
RHEUMATRON IS INCAPABLE OF COCK RUBBING AND WARMONGERY. IT VIOLATES THE FIRST TWO OF ASIMOV'S LAWS.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Bozack on January 26, 2006, 10:20:10 pm
Ooooh, yessss...I have returned, and all is the same!
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: jough on January 26, 2006, 11:15:36 pm
Ooooh, yessss...I have returned, and all is the same!

You get your 'puter fixed, nigga?
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: V-Adore on January 27, 2006, 12:11:37 am
I love you all.

You hear that? Love. For all of you. Even Bobby, today, although that will not get him de-banned from AIM.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: misterqueue on January 27, 2006, 12:14:09 am
I love you all.

You hear that? Love. For all of you. Even Bobby, today, although that will not get him de-banned from AIM.

You've been on this whole time?  Which means even I am banned!  Curse you V, you win....  this time.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: V-Adore on January 27, 2006, 12:15:14 am
You've been on this whole time?  Which means even I am banned!  Curse you V, you win....  this time.

... No you're not. G'head, AIM me if you want. I'll reply and such.

Although I'm about to go and do laundry, so, y'know. There might be a delay.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2006, 12:16:41 am
You get your 'puter fixed, nigga?

More importantly did you get your womans hymen fixed?

~Paul
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Bozack on January 27, 2006, 12:56:34 am
Hahahaha, ohhh, you misunderstand. S. isn't my woman; my woman has a fully functioning pink secret. S. is just a friend.
I got...part of my computer fixed. It turns out that the reason my computer has been so slow is that one of my RAM slots is busted, so I'm only using 1/2 of the RAM I actually have in. If anyone would like to trade 2 256's for a larger one, well, BY ALL MEANS.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2006, 01:02:47 am
Pink Secret is worth 10 cans, but I can only offer you one.

~Paul
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: V-Adore on January 27, 2006, 04:11:01 am
This reminds me of something that happened today. We were being Stereotypical Female College Students(tm) and lounging around mocking the Victoria's Secret catalog. Apparently, V'sS is launching a line of "Pink" clothing, featuring girly T-shirts and sweat##### reading "LOVE PINK" and "I <3 PINK," underwear with things like "PINK PREP" in pseudo-academic font on them, and so on. Insipid enough, right? But what made me break up laughing was their choice of where to break a line in the first paragraph of the description:

VICTORIA'S
SECRET PINK

Of course, I had to launch the meme once people started asking me what the hell was up. From there, the jokes wrote themselves: "Victoria's pink ain't all that secret..." and "I saw YOUR MOM'S secret pink last night!!" Sure, it's transposed, but it's the same spirit.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: miles on January 27, 2006, 04:21:19 am
We were being Stereotypical Female College Students(tm) and lounging around mocking the Victoria's Secret catalog.

That's not what I..uh, I mean, the stereotpyical college students that I know do with the Victoria's Secret catalog.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Emergent_C on January 27, 2006, 03:22:33 pm
No, she said they were doing what Stereotypical Female College Students do with the catalog. Only Stereotypical Female Vegan College Students would do what you're talking about.

Because they're all bisexual. DUH!
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Bozack on January 27, 2006, 04:07:29 pm
Because they're all bisexual. DUH!

I think this might be that Singularity I keep hearing Kurzweil go on about.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: otter on January 27, 2006, 08:33:26 pm
This reminds me of something that happened today.

Continuing the chain of association: my (female) friend and I finally broke down and admitted to each other that the words "bra" and "panty" are two of the funniest words in the English language.  Especially when delivered in that really Serious McSerious Victoria's Secret voice: "Victoria's Secret bra and panty sale!  Clearance!  Cover your secret pink!"
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: misterqueue on January 27, 2006, 08:38:00 pm
I've always been of the opinion that panties is one of the few words that makes every English speaker smile.  Not just because of the long e on the end, but also because it's a funny and cute word/idea.  Mmmm.. ladies in panties.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: V-Adore on January 27, 2006, 09:29:31 pm
"Panty" is especially hilarious because it's one of those singulars that doesn't actually exist. Nobody ever wears a "panty," folks; they only come in twos. It combines the weirdness of stores that talk about their "pant" with the tweeness of the "-y" suffix. Ergo, adorable.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Hobot on January 27, 2006, 10:31:07 pm
No, she said they were doing what Stereotypical Female College Students do with the catalog. Only Stereotypical Female Vegan College Students would do what you're talking about.

Because they're all bisexual. DUH!

Well played. +1 can for you.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: littlefox on January 30, 2006, 01:36:10 am
Does anybody REALLY think that "panty" sounds adorable? It's definitely one of those words I only say ironically, like "ickle."
Just call it underwear, folks. Underwear.

And as for the plural/singular issue, I think of "panties" as the diminutive of ******. And dear me, why does it keep putting stars? This forum! This forum. Maybe everyone knows what word I'm trying to type? They both have to be plural, because English thinks it's really something.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: misterqueue on January 30, 2006, 01:38:25 am
Does anybody REALLY think that "panty" sounds adorable?


No... of course not.  Who would think that a word like that could be adorable?




Other than me

Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: littlefox on January 30, 2006, 02:16:11 am
::hides:: Okay, misterqueue, I didn't realize it was you who'd said that. It helps because "queue" is a cute word, though. See, even I think words are cute.

I guess I'm put off because boxers don't have a silly sounding synonym.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: misterqueue on January 30, 2006, 02:20:26 am
We could make one?  But then you said boxers specifically.  I mean briefs have that "Tighty Whitey" thing, which is just as gross as they are.

Note: In searching for a possible existing boxers "cutesy" term, do not look here (http://www.manties.net/) as I did.  LEARN FROM ME EVERYONE!


Also anyone who admit's that "Queue" is cute gets a can. These are the rules, I just enforce them.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: littlefox on January 30, 2006, 02:25:25 am
You're right, tighty whities count, at least partially. I stand corrected. I still think boxers need a diminutive name. Trousies? Britchies?

Oh, and I think "undies" is about as bad as "panties." Who's with me? And what is with -ie and women's fashion?

(Yay!! I'm glad I got a can because I just got one deducted, for no reason, but maybe it was because I tried to type A Word Which Is Disallowed.)
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: miles on January 30, 2006, 02:38:49 am
Note: In searching for a possible existing boxers "cutesy" term, do not look here (http://www.manties.net/) as I did.  LEARN FROM ME EVERYONE!

Quote from: Some Sick Fuck About MANties
Once you have them on, it will be "hard" to take them off.

Eww.

This is as nearly as disturbing as the whole adult baby (http://www.foreverakid.com/) thing.  Well, no, not even really close.  But it's still kinda gross.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: misterqueue on January 30, 2006, 02:42:11 am
Eww.

This is as nearly as disturbing as the whole adult baby (http://www.foreverakid.com/) thing.  Well, no, not even really close.  But it's still kinda gross.

Hey at least I googled mine.  Yours came straight from your bookmarks.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2006, 03:52:27 am
man.
I, personally, am a fan of calling my underwears "B.V.D's"
This isn't cute, but it is really rediculous
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on January 30, 2006, 08:45:36 pm
I like the word "panties", it is cute. But for some reason unknown to me I can only use panties around peers and friends. Not in front of my parents. I have no idea why but "women's/lady's/female underwear always comes out instead. What the hell is that all about? Does my subconscious think panties is taboo?
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: acoxcae on January 30, 2006, 09:58:54 pm
Out of curiousity, how much time do you spend discussing panties with your parents?  It just seems weird that it would happen enough that you'd notice this behavior.

I mean, seriously.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: wombat on January 31, 2006, 01:51:35 am
Tragically back on topic:

I got that Beeswax "litmag" thing.  I admit that I am just a simple temporary-poopremoving-employee girl, who likes comic strips and does not understand the point of a novel in which no one meets with a violent and untimely end.  That being said, my impression is that aside from Cartilage Head I am not sure how I can tell this publication apart from my high school literary magazine.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: CortJstr on January 31, 2006, 03:18:29 am
Hey now, I worked on my high school literary magazine. It was fun. We got to reject lots of stuff, and take a field trip to Columbia Univeristy every year where they'd show slides of our magazine as examples. Plus we could leave after 6th period.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: wombat on January 31, 2006, 03:23:02 am
Yeah, so did I.  But unlike these people I knew to stop when I graduated.
Title: Re: None of my Beeswax?
Post by: AugustWest on January 31, 2006, 04:01:01 am
ZING!