The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2006, 08:00:10 pm

Title: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2006, 08:00:10 pm
We have our second member, Mr Online.  I know because I gave him his 100th. can.  Welcome to the club I hope to one day join.

You join Wombat (whose cans are tiny, but exquisite) in achieving "awesome" (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2368.msg54458.html#msg54458) status.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 02, 2006, 08:22:06 pm
oh my!  Thank you paul for the exquisite honor, I sure hope to see you here real soon now.  In fact let's get you started with a fresh one.

Now where are all the ladies I was promised when I reached 100?  Where?



Nevermind, let us never speak of these cans again lest they magically fly away.  I LOVE THEM SOOO MUCH!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 02, 2006, 08:28:31 pm
Q, should we have a secret handshake?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 02, 2006, 08:30:17 pm
Oh I had something like that in mind.

I will post the details to you on the secret 100+ cans only thread.

Oops, I've said too much!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 02, 2006, 08:32:32 pm
Better yet, start your own board so I don't have to read 20 posts a day about the dumb little cans.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 02, 2006, 08:33:26 pm
So it's bad if I point out I'm no longer in the club Mr. Surly Hawaii Man?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: sunnystar on February 02, 2006, 08:34:12 pm
Hey now, hey now, no getting upset because you're not a part of the 100+ Can Club! :) I'm just looking forward to the day when I can give them out like delicious delicious candy...

And Q, what happened to Can #100?! :hands you one of my 8 so you feel better:
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 02, 2006, 08:44:03 pm
So it's bad if I point out I'm no longer in the club Mr. Surly Hawaii Man?

I have the all time record for negative cans, though. The last few days have had so many dumb discussions about imaginary cans of Dr Pepper being shared by total strangers who gathered together ostensibly due to their love of imaginary cats who wear thongs and talk to alive stuffed animals.This is not normal behavior.

In other words, those of us still clinging to our sanity and rationality would appreciate if the rest of you PM each other about the cans.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 02, 2006, 08:52:08 pm
Maybe we wouldn't be talking about them so much if someone had posted a dang comic for us to talk about today instead.

Oh!  I can't believe I said that.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Biz Markizzle on February 02, 2006, 09:00:06 pm
if onstad were to write the alt-text for this thread, it would read something like

"it appears that dawg really hates cans"

Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 02, 2006, 09:02:14 pm
I'm sorry if we have inconvenienced your poor eyes with all this talk of cans.  I suppose a line has to be drawn as far as what is okay to discuss and what is not and you draw it between imaginary talking cats and imaginary cans.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 02, 2006, 09:02:26 pm
Can someone calculate a ratio of posts to cans?  I seem to be way behind the pack in that regard.  Must be because I'm such a bastard.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 02, 2006, 09:10:04 pm
A post in which I attempt to derail people from arguing with a picture of a tiny can of wombat:

http://www.aussieproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACWOMB (http://www.aussieproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACWOMB)
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2006, 09:10:54 pm
I have the all time record for negative cans, though. The last few days have had so many dumb discussions about imaginary cans of Dr Pepper being shared by total strangers who gathered together ostensibly due to their love of imaginary cats who wear thongs and talk to alive stuffed animals.This is not normal behavior.

In other words, those of us still clinging to our sanity and rationality would appreciate if the rest of you PM each other about the cans.

You are never going to make the club with that attitude.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: CortJstr on February 02, 2006, 09:26:15 pm
Can someone calculate a ratio of posts to cans?  I seem to be way behind the pack in that regard.  Must be because I'm such a bastard.

Well Queueueuue has 1 can for every 5.12 posts. I have 1 for every 166.8 posts. He wins.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 02, 2006, 09:32:24 pm
Well Queueueuue has 1 can for every 5.12 posts. I have 1 for every 166.8 posts. He wins.

What you're missing though is that a larger proportion of my posts were during can time and not nearly as many were in the pre-can time as say you Cort.

If we compare the number of posts since the new board to can ratio I'm sure we'd be a lot closer in "the numbers" as they say.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: V-Adore on February 02, 2006, 09:45:22 pm
A post in which I attempt to derail people from arguing with a picture of a tiny can of wombat:

http://www.aussieproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACWOMB (http://www.aussieproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACWOMB)

Why is this not your avatar?!

Oh, right. The sloth. How quickly I forget.

Anyway, question on the 100 Can Club: does it have to be 100+ current cans, or 100+ "career cans" before taketh-away? The latter seems more achievable for those of us who keep losing cans due to fatness or whatever and seems less prone to MMO-style griefing ("ha ha! You're OUT OF THE CLUB. 399 MORE HOURS AND YOU'LL BE IN THE CORNFIELD!!")
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 02, 2006, 09:49:56 pm
And did you know that there's an Australian search engine called Web Wombat?

http://www.webwombat.com.au/
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: jough on February 03, 2006, 07:15:43 am
Maybe people who don't like talk about cans can be spending their time going and fuck*ng themselves instead. 

Just maybe.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Bozack on February 03, 2006, 09:29:30 pm
That fuck*ng cornfield!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: arkabee on February 03, 2006, 10:33:50 pm
A post in which I attempt to derail people from arguing with a picture of a tiny can of wombat:

http://www.aussieproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACWOMB (http://www.aussieproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACWOMB)

that is the awesomest thing ever and may perhaps tip the scales of my personality from asshole to eh-liveable-but-maybe-he-needs-some-time-alone.

thank you.



ps-
dammit, i can only take away the thing i am not supposed to state one time everyhour.
you are safe,
for now,
mr line shall form in an orderly fashion,
due to my amazingly short attention span.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: miles on February 04, 2006, 11:01:02 pm
Q, should we have a secret handshake?

Judging from the filth I've witnessed in IRC, it's gonna be something other than a handshake.

For shame.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 04, 2006, 11:02:28 pm
I did say I had something else in mind didn't I?


And you know you love the IRC filth as much as the rest of us, don't act all high and mighty!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: miles on February 04, 2006, 11:41:17 pm
That you did.  I had my Q filter enabled, so that must be how I missed your post.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 07, 2006, 04:56:52 pm
OK, my mind is permanently affected:  I was just reading some other website entirely and reached for the penis to bestow a tiny can, and was all frustrated that I couldn't.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2006, 07:01:48 pm
And for that you get a can.

We can still say that in this thread.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on February 19, 2006, 10:36:17 pm
Wombat and Mr Online are now tied in the tiny can department.  This is getting interesting.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: acoxcae on February 19, 2006, 11:17:15 pm
Paul?

With an avatar?

I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2006, 11:18:27 pm
Paul?

With an avatar?

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I was really confused for the first couple of posts myself. For a minute I assumed that the squirrel had giant nuts and that it was Bobby posting
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: jough on February 19, 2006, 11:29:00 pm
Paul always used to have an avatar.  It is only recently that he has not had one.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: acoxcae on February 19, 2006, 11:32:40 pm
If I remember correctly, I have never seen a Paul avatar, or at least, by the time I knew him enough to start remembering things like that. 

So, I guess 2-3 years is recently, in the cosmic sense.  Or maybe I have a terrible memory.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 19, 2006, 11:35:37 pm
Wombat and Mr Online are now tied in the tiny can department.  This is getting interesting.

~Paul

Does this make us married in some weird back alley TOUAMB law?  THE PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2006, 11:42:00 pm
Does this make us married in some weird back alley TOUAMB law?  THE PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW!

Exactly. It's like when you were a kid on the swings and two people were in sync with each other then they were married.

So will you move in with wombat or will she move in with you?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 19, 2006, 11:48:30 pm
Look, all I know is that I am not giving up my massive collection of human heads in jars.  Which house/apartment they reside in is really a secondary priority at this point.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2006, 12:05:21 am
Just keep the jars off the floor so the dog doesn't get into them.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 12:08:34 am
Woah.. am I crazy or did you just propose to me?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2006, 12:16:19 am
It sounds to me like they aren't giving us a choice.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 12:19:12 am
Okay.. fine then, but I want to go on record stating this:



THIS IS THE WORST LOVE STORY EVER!  I WANT MY MONEY BACK MR. BARNES AND MR. NOBLES!!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: acoxcae on February 20, 2006, 12:21:16 am
HAHA!  By giving your fiancee another can, I have effectively called off your engagement!  Victory is mine!

You should really look into a temperature-controlled locker for those head jars, though.  If they start to fester, the resale value goes WAY down.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 12:22:09 am
HAHA!  By giving your fiancee another can, I have effectively called off your engagement!  Victory is mine!

You should really look into a temperature-controlled locker for those head jars, though.  If they start to fester, the resale value goes WAY down.

Why are you trying to get between us Mr. Cox?  Is there something you want to tell us?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2006, 12:37:33 am

THIS IS THE WORST LOVE STORY EVER!  I WANT MY MONEY BACK MR. BARNES AND MR. NOBLES!!

Oh, now I'm insulted.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on February 20, 2006, 04:41:57 am
Is this what I've been missing, by being away? Jesus.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: CortJstr on February 20, 2006, 04:47:56 am
Q scares Nabu away again and immediately drops down to -35 cans forcing him to cry himself to sleep everynight knowing that his sick fucktitude has backfired at last.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 04:56:08 am
If I remember correctly, I have never seen a Paul avatar, or at least, by the time I knew him enough to start remembering things like that. 

So, I guess 2-3 years is recently, in the cosmic sense.  Or maybe I have a terrible memory.

I think it was as recent as right before the switch to the new board, right?  So yeah, terrible memory.  Or maybe you're like Bobby and just have a hard time keep board members straight in your mind.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: acoxcae on February 20, 2006, 06:32:40 am
Ah, now I remember!  The appearance of Paul's old avatar has caused all the memories to come rushing back.  Good times.

Also, to wombat and Q - I only broke up your engagement to show how unstable a tiny-can-based institution of marriage is.  Maybe you two could get engaged again when the marriage institution is more stable - y'know, based on love, or full-sized cans of Dr Pepper, or some other stalwart basis.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 07:13:54 am
Q scares Nabu away again and immediately drops down to -35 cans forcing him to cry himself to sleep everynight knowing that his sick fucktitude has backfired at last.

Backfired?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Tangle on February 20, 2006, 07:35:22 am
Exactly. It's like when you were a kid on the swings and two people were in sync with each other then they were married.
Whoa. The same was said around here (Finland) when I was a kid. So that's an international thing. My mind is blown.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: lprkn on February 20, 2006, 09:17:10 am
It's just because it's so intuitive, it's our minds speaking to each other across the bounds of time and space... and the Atlantic.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Tangle on February 20, 2006, 09:33:15 am
So, around swingsets everywhere on this globe, kids are saying "Ha ha, you're married!"* whenever synchronized swinging occurs. That's beautiful.


*except in China, where they say "CHING CHONG WING WONG".
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2006, 01:47:32 pm
Is this what I've been missing, by being away? Jesus.


Yeah.  Didn't you miss us?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2006, 02:27:45 pm
Also, to wombat and Q - I only broke up your engagement to show how unstable a tiny-can-based institution of marriage is.

The Sanctity of Marraige (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SA_FOLK_ART_2005/IMAGES/1024/DSCN10210-E-S-1024.jpg)

~Paul

Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: side_show on February 23, 2006, 05:22:48 pm
It seems I have inadvertently become a member of this club.  These things happen when you speak of Christian Porn too much I suppose. 

Just so you all know, Mr. Q us technically a polygamist now.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 23, 2006, 05:35:30 pm
Is it getting hot in here or is it just all this bigamy goin' on?


(Bigamy?  NO Bigga you!)
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 23, 2006, 05:49:33 pm
Does it make me a bad person that I had the impulse to start taking Side-Show's cans away?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 23, 2006, 06:15:30 pm
Does it make me a bad person that I had the impulse to start taking Side-Show's cans away?

In a word:



YES
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 23, 2006, 06:37:42 pm

Note the following statistics:

Ratio of male to female posters: 4.8 to 1

Ratio of male to female 100 Can Club Members: 1 to 2

I AM WOMAN HEAR ME POST and the heck with you Mister red-marquee-YES.  I guess the honeymoon is over*sniff*

Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: CortJstr on February 23, 2006, 06:58:29 pm
Note the following statistics:

Ratio of male to female posters: 4.8 to 1

Ratio of male to female 100 Can Club Members: 1 to 2

I AM WOMAN HEAR ME POST and the heck with you Mister red-marquee-YES.  I guess the honeymoon is over*sniff*

It's clearly more like 1:1. We all know that Paul's mustache counts as an automatic 50 cans minimum but the board software's AHDRs* aren't advanced enough so his number appears much lower than it should.






*Awesome Hair Detection Routines
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 23, 2006, 08:14:08 pm
Note the following statistics:

Ratio of male to female posters: 4.8 to 1

Ratio of male to female 100 Can Club Members: 1 to 2

I AM WOMAN HEAR ME POST and the heck with you Mister red-marquee-YES.  I guess the honeymoon is over*sniff*



So women are bigger can-whores than guys. Tell us something we don't know.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on February 24, 2006, 12:06:25 am
bigger can-whores
huh.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: side_show on February 24, 2006, 10:00:37 pm
Never mind them wombat.  You don't really want to be married to Mr. Q anyway do you?  We'll take off on a road trip together, and maybe stumble upon Brad Pitt along the way.  Sticking together is what good message board posters do. 
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: lprkn on February 24, 2006, 10:02:50 pm
Right before they drive off of cliffs.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 24, 2006, 10:05:53 pm
Man, good thing I got out of THAT car...


am I right guys?! 
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 24, 2006, 10:11:03 pm
We'll take off on a road trip together

Hmm, this sounds good.  Is it OK if I play Bruce Springsteen really loud on the car stereo?  And we should bring lots of chocolate.  Do you think we need firearms?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: side_show on February 24, 2006, 10:15:28 pm
No need for guns - I can teach you how to crush a man's skull between your thighs.  It's surprisingly easy!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 24, 2006, 10:21:28 pm
No need for guns - I can teach you how to crush a man's skull between your thighs.  It's surprisingly easy!

Especially if you have quality bait.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: lprkn on February 24, 2006, 10:23:46 pm
Really, the bait is the essential part of the equation.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: V-Adore on February 25, 2006, 04:11:39 am
I hear you should ask Gina about that.

Hell, I hear Gina has an entire bait shop down there.

(It begged to be said, and since when do I have shame?)
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AugustWest on February 25, 2006, 04:43:42 am
Hell, I hear Gina has an entire bait shop down there.

Well, it certainly smells like she does.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: acoxcae on February 25, 2006, 04:45:03 am
Well, it certainly smells like she does.

ZING!

...and then VOMIT!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on February 26, 2006, 05:12:11 pm
Who is taking V's cans?  That shit ain't cool.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on February 26, 2006, 05:48:16 pm
Don't take my friend's tiny make-believe message-board soda cans.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Tangle on February 26, 2006, 06:27:09 pm
While we're on the topic (kinda), I'd really like to know what I've done to upset someone so much that they insist on taking my imaginary tiny cans away. 6 to 1 in two days - looks like someone's really got it in for me. I just wonder who and why.

Imaginary virtual tiny cans of soda - serious business  ;)
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: V-Adore on February 26, 2006, 07:33:58 pm
Imaginary virtual tiny cans of soda - serious business  ;)

SERIOUS BUSINESS! (Especially when you're like me and you're sort of, well, frail-feeling lately.)

It continues to amaze me just how much the can mechanic has changed the board, and not always for the good. On the other hand, there might be contaminating effects of other phenomena coming along at the same time (like the massive influx of good newbies, for example); it's hard to say.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Hobot on February 26, 2006, 08:57:01 pm
While we're on the topic (kinda), I'd really like to know what I've done to upset someone so much that they insist on taking my imaginary tiny cans away. 6 to 1 in two days - looks like someone's really got it in for me. I just wonder who and why.

Imaginary virtual tiny cans of soda - serious business  ;)

It's been happening to a few of us lately.  I lost ten in a matter of days.  I think we should support each other by returning unjustly-lost cans.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on February 26, 2006, 09:01:20 pm
Isn't Windows the perfect expression of the power of the marketplace, especially since it would take government intervention to break the near-monopoly it has?

Also, you people can't possibly care about the cans. If it hurts you so bad, take mine.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Hobot on February 26, 2006, 09:13:21 pm
Isn't Windows the perfect expression of the power of the marketplace, especially since it would take government intervention to break the near-monopoly it has?

Yes.  Irony.

Also, I was using "Communism" as an insult, because I hate Windows; this is, in turn, ironic, because my political ideology has Communist leanings.

But mostly I like the absurdity of Lenin turned into a Windows icon.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 26, 2006, 09:16:29 pm
Yes.  Irony.

Also, I was using "Communism" as an insult, because I hate Windows; this is, in turn, ironic, because my political ideology has Communist leanings.

But mostly I like the absurdity of Lenin turned into a Windows icon.

Shhhh.. if you dissect all the jokes they will be cold hard lumps quivering on the floor!

Murderer!  J'accuse!!! *finger pointing*
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on February 26, 2006, 09:55:40 pm
Well, I think it's implied without the words - I mean, I'm not that sharp and I figured it out. And mostly people around here are smarter than me - with the book-learnin' and all. And running water. And most of their teeth.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on February 26, 2006, 10:39:06 pm
No need to ask who is taking my cans away.  Jough's karma button has hell of properties.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 27, 2006, 12:26:04 pm
No need to ask who is taking my cans away.  Jough's karma button has hell of properties.

~Paul

Totally!  So much so that I lost 100 in 6 hours!  YAY!

(It does not bother me.  Once you've tasted the top, you just stop worrying about it and let the good lord provide.)
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: jough on February 27, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
Dude, you never had no 200 cans.  You're all lyin' and shit.  You only had +/- 50 cans than you do now.

Actually, I had been messing with a plugin and had to fix the fact that for a couple of hours yesterday everyone was plussing and minusing each other 25 cans at a time, since I didn't notice the default karma amount was 25 instead of the usual 1.

Anyway, I will try to get people's karma count back to an appropriate level.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 27, 2006, 07:44:41 pm
Heh, it was like 50 actually; I had just woken up and apparently had forgotten my basic addition.

This is why I shouldn't kill my liver as much on the weekend. :P
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: CortJstr on February 27, 2006, 08:57:32 pm
Q, you need to edit your avatar to read "tiny cans" instead of DARLENE
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 27, 2006, 09:03:06 pm
Heh, in deciding to use that image,  (A democratic process wherein it was voted upon by a team of 1 person who wasn't me, but ultimately has a much more respectable and lovely opinion other than yours truly), I debated with myself as to what I should place on that hat instead.  I went through option after option and determined that most of them were too wanky and/or personal to really do it properly.

So there it sits... weeping for Darlene, whoever she may be.

I'm still unsure if I find it funny or sad.  Probably both.


In conclusion, I do not weep for tiny cans, they merely weep for me.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: sjlimmer on February 27, 2006, 09:44:44 pm
In conclusion, I do not weep for tiny cans, they merely weep for me.

Thats why you have to put them on a tiny coaster.  Wouldn't want to leave a tiny ring on the furniture.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 27, 2006, 10:09:08 pm
Thats why you have to put them on a tiny coaster.  Wouldn't want to leave a tiny ring on the furniture.

There once was a girl from Beijing
Who had quite tiny a ring...



Nevermind....

(at least I didn't go with my first impulse... Nanking.  Which is in such bad taste I actually feel slightly ill that I thought of it so quickly.)
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 27, 2006, 10:23:08 pm

(at least I didn't go with my first impulse... Nanking.  Which is in such bad taste I actually feel slightly ill that I thought of it so quickly.)

Um, is that what you kids are calling it nowadays?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 27, 2006, 10:28:24 pm
Good gravy I hope not.

The Rape of Nanking was a terrible scene.  It would be some serious rough chuckles to equate such an activity with it.


Unless you're into some really horribly kinky things I guess.. but no no no.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: theinevitable on February 27, 2006, 11:19:26 pm
wait wait wait

when you give someone a can, is it one of your cans?
ie: if I have 10 cans, and I give someone a can, do I now have 9? this would make sense, except: no cans are generated. Did someone start out with 1000 cans that I didn't notice?

I am so confused.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 27, 2006, 11:23:10 pm
No.  There is no can economy.  Otherwise people would be taking cans away to beef up their resources for MADP (Mutually Assured Dr. Pepper).

Think of the DP (Not dual-penetration), like water, it ebbs and flows from a mysterious never-ending font.  It is ephermeral, reminding us that all humankind is temporary.  Some cans stay, some cans leave, but you will always have the memory of those tiny cans dancing in your mind.

Those beautiful, tiny cans.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 27, 2006, 11:24:17 pm
Oh for shits sake, people. Are your lives so wretched?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: lprkn on February 27, 2006, 11:35:02 pm
In a word... yes.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 28, 2006, 12:07:05 am
Now we finally understand why AlohaDawg doesn't get it.  The more power to him and his non-wretched life.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 28, 2006, 12:46:49 am
Praise be to me in all my non-wretchedness.

Confidential to those who care: PoundPuppy #3 is a girl.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 28, 2006, 12:59:43 am
Praise be to me in all my non-wretchedness.

Confidential to those who care: PoundPuppy #3 is a girl.

Does she have a name yet?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 28, 2006, 01:01:45 am
Does she have a name yet?



I'm betting it's not Tiny Can.




*Runs*
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 28, 2006, 01:13:30 am
No.

Ass.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2006, 02:44:00 am
If that's serving as the official announcement -- congrats to you, Dawg, and to Mrs. Dawg. May blessings continue to rain down upon your house.

Just to get pretentious for a moment about why I care about the tiny cans: in my mind, the tiny-can system is the best indicator of how, in general, you are doing as a board member. This, I assume, is why these boards have a Karma system in the first place. I put stock in it in that, if I suddenly lose a lot of cans, I assume I really misstepped; it makes me consider my behavior and be more attentive to possible public opinions. (Of course, this all gets thrown out the window when you consider thrill-decanning and whatnot, but work with me here.) If I get distraught about losing cans, it's not some sort of "oh, no, the number on my profile bar got arbitrarily smaller!" thing but a fear that I'm doing something wrong, getting people upset, or otherwise not doing right by a community I care about it.

I may still be pitiful and wretched, but I'd like to think I have a reason.

Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on February 28, 2006, 03:37:00 am
V, when you've been a part of the community as long as we have, you don't have to care.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2006, 04:02:34 am
V, when you've been a part of the community as long as we have, you don't have to care.

Yes, but I would rather care. That's all.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: lprkn on February 28, 2006, 04:22:03 am
V: The Girl Who Would Rather Care
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on February 28, 2006, 04:29:00 am
Yes, but I would rather care. That's all.

From here on out, you get all the cans I can give you.

Edit: Wow, nearly 4000 posts - you've been busy. Or not busy at all, as the case may be.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2006, 04:34:07 am
From here on out, you get all the cans I can give you.

Edit: Wow, nearly 4000 posts - you've been busy. Or not busy at all, as the case may be.

Thanks. And in my own defense, I will point out that those cans have been spaced out over almost three years, with varying degrees of "busy-ness" throughout (ranging from the summer of 2003, during which I played lots of solitaire and spent a lot of company time on the Interwebs, to now, when life is a hurricane of terrible obligation). So, y'know, it evens out.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Tangle on February 28, 2006, 06:51:58 am
Just to get pretentious for a moment about why I care about the tiny cans: in my mind, the tiny-can system is the best indicator of how, in general, you are doing as a board member. This, I assume, is why these boards have a Karma system in the first place. I put stock in it in that, if I suddenly lose a lot of cans, I assume I really misstepped; it makes me consider my behavior and be more attentive to possible public opinions. (Of course, this all gets thrown out the window when you consider thrill-decanning and whatnot, but work with me here.) If I get distraught about losing cans, it's not some sort of "oh, no, the number on my profile bar got arbitrarily smaller!" thing but a fear that I'm doing something wrong, getting people upset, or otherwise not doing right by a community I care about it.

I may still be pitiful and wretched, but I'd like to think I have a reason.

Pretentious or not, thank you for putting it into words so well. Basically, in what little time I've spent here, I've had this idea of "if you're OK, people award you cans - if you're a Crap Dude, they take them away". So naturally when I see my cans (oo-er!) vanish, the first thought in my mind is "who did I piss off now, and how?"
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Doc on February 28, 2006, 07:43:50 am
those cans have been spaced out over almost three year

While I am not fussed about how much a person may love or despise cans when the word starts inserting itself into your sentences where it does not belong we may have a problem.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 28, 2006, 05:52:45 pm
I have a dream that one day, men (and women) will not be judged by the size of their cans, but the content of their character.

Also, self-validation is infinitely more powerful then that which you get from an arbitrary and capricious system whereby people can give and take cans for whatever reason they want.
 
Stand tall and shuffle off the shackles of the can belief system. Breathe free.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: lprkn on February 28, 2006, 06:52:57 pm
Careful there, AD, you might get assassinated by a member of the C(l)an.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2006, 07:27:38 pm
Careful there, AD, you might get assassinated by a member of the C(l)an.

All desperately tryin' to burn a giant can of Dr Pepper on his lawn before we realize that aluminum and carbonated sugar water don't burn so well?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on February 28, 2006, 07:37:07 pm
an arbitrary and capricious system whereby people can give and take cans for whatever reason they want.
 

Like LIFE.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AugustWest on February 28, 2006, 09:40:48 pm
You know, I share a lot of AD's concerns about the whole tiny can thing.  I've gotten a little better with it, but I'm still ambivalent.

Here's what I like about it:  I can reward people who are funny or otherwise post well in a tangible (sort of) way.

Here's what I don't like:  It turns into a fuck*ng competition and people are inclined to measure their self-worth by their cans.  It's also distracting -- every post we spend talking about the stupid cans is one post we aren't talking about talking cats, alive stuffed animals, giraffe placentas or cooking poultry with ball bearings.  Can talk is essentially navel-gazing internal politics and that's just boring.

I don't take cans away and I'm as generous as I remember to be.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on February 28, 2006, 10:24:55 pm
I have a dream that one day, men (and women) will not be judged by the size of their cans, but the content of their character.

I will never stop judging people by the size of their cans - I told you people my favorite word is callipygian. (http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/callipygian)

I love me some cans.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 28, 2006, 11:11:50 pm
See, Nabu it was for you almost specifically that I edited myself from 'number' of cans to 'size' of cans.

I use cans as an internal reference for both the boobies and the backyard, so I share your sentiment in "I loves me some cans".

Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on February 28, 2006, 11:21:36 pm
my favorite word is callipygian. (http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/callipygian)

Seconded.  I learned that word here at TOUAMB, but I don't think it was from you Nan, if I recall it was Bobby that used the term, probably around the time that Ray was wanting to have a lady sit in a cake.

Ah yes, Here (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2106.msg43729.html#msg43729) it is.

Anyway, after I took this (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/ART_CAR_PARADE_2004/IMAGES/AWARDS/E500/DSCN0398-E500.jpg) picture I told the young lady "I really like your callipygian form" which I think went right over her head.  But she's a teacher so she looked it up and now she embraces the word as I have thanks to TOUAMB.  But seriously, that's a sweet caboose.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 28, 2006, 11:53:33 pm
Seconded.  I learned that word here at TOUAMB, but I don't think it was from you Nan, if I recall it was Bobby that used the term, probably around the time that Ray was wanting to have a lady sit in a cake.

Ah yes, Here (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2106.msg43729.html#msg43729) it is.

Anyway, after I took this (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/ART_CAR_PARADE_2004/IMAGES/AWARDS/E500/DSCN0398-E500.jpg) picture I told the young lady "I really like your callipygian form" which I think went right over her head.  But she's a teacher so she looked it up and now she embraces the word as I have thanks to TOUAMB.  But seriously, that's a sweet caboose.

~Paul

While the usage is apropos, I think the first incidence in relation to Ray was from O-Man (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09072004) himself.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on February 28, 2006, 11:59:29 pm
Also, strangely here (http://www.qwantz.com/index.pl?comic=101), which has a referrence to Onanism, WHICH Waterbury stated Ray had a tendancy to do in his sleep.

It is an odd coincidence.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2006, 12:04:36 am
Well, I remember mentioning it in a favorite word thread here, not too long after I started dating (in a more-or-less serious way) my wife, and that was '02 - so it couldn't have been too long after the board kicked off.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: CortJstr on March 01, 2006, 12:32:27 am
I believe the board's birthday is July 31, 2003
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: miles on March 01, 2006, 02:32:36 am
I will never stop judging people by the size of their cans - I told you people my favorite word is callipygian. (http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/callipygian)

I love me some cans.

Oh Nabu, though I never even talked to you (much), it's good to have you back.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2006, 03:02:56 am
Callipygean is a great word.

Quote from: augustwest
cooking with ball bearings

Man, now I am jonesing for some Tomorrow Chicken. Whatever happened to that, anyway?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: acoxcae on March 01, 2006, 03:04:12 am
TOMORROW!

Also, maybe Bobby was out of commission for a while due to first-degree ball bearning burns?  Just guessing, really.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2006, 03:49:20 am
I believe the board's birthday is July 31, 2003

Yup, and I'm #6.

Where have you gone, Vinz Clortho - - - A messageboard turns its lonely eyes to yoooooouuuuuuuuuu . . .
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 01, 2006, 02:41:07 pm
What AW said.  Except for the "never take away cans" part.  I do that sometimes.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2006, 12:29:56 am
If I hadn't been Gods on Dickslapped to the tune of 30 cans I would be in this club now.  I'm not bitter.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on March 25, 2006, 12:50:58 am
Least you know who to blame.  Imagine like me you'd mysteriously lost 14 cans today and had to assume that everyone hates you.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 10, 2006, 11:29:39 pm
Not to extend what seems to be a thread akin to every message board ever's "Post Count = Leet? Yes it do! No it ain't!" thread or anything but... I'm new-ish so humour me, please:

What is the deal with the Dr. Pepper cans as a kudos system? Who grants 'em? Do they mean anything beyond bragging rights for those who are into that sorta thing? Why are they called Dr. Pepper cans, is there some in-joke behind that?

Just wonderin'. On another board that I frequent, that board's King of The Post-Count Whores just got shaved down from such-as 25,000 to about 23 and it was hilarious how seriously the dude took it.

Kinda wanted to stay abreast of what these little cans of imaginary carbonation mean to people around here so as to have a better sense of how to socially jive in this little world.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: Drygioni on April 10, 2006, 11:33:47 pm
Once you get to 25 posts, it will all become clear(er).

Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: wombat on April 10, 2006, 11:35:46 pm
It has been suggested in the past that one way to know how to socially jive in this little world is to read the archives.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: misterqueue on April 10, 2006, 11:37:48 pm
It has been suggested in the past that one way to know how to socially jive in this little world is to read the archives.

Womby speaks the truth.  I'm theoretically living proof.  Theoretical that I'm proof.. not that I'm living.


Although... holy shit.. I'M A BOT!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 10, 2006, 11:45:46 pm

Just wonderin'. On another board that I frequent, that board's King of The Post-Count Whores just got shaved down from such-as 25,000 to about 23 and it was hilarious how seriously the dude took it.

Kinda wanted to stay abreast of what these little cans of imaginary carbonation mean to people around here so as to have a better sense of how to socially jive in this little world.

They are meaningless and arbitrary and if the system gets abused, Jough has scripts to identify and smite people. So don't sweat it, your bound to be both a superstar and a crap dude at some point if you stick around long enough.

Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 12:44:08 am
Why are they called Dr. Pepper cans, is there some in-joke behind that?

I'm gonna pour a 40 of tiny Dr Pepper for Bozack over that comment.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 12:45:14 am
So don't sweat it, your bound to be both a superstar and a crap dude at some point if you stick around long enough.

This is true...

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 11, 2006, 09:07:43 pm
The system seems really unfair to Paul.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2006, 09:15:27 pm
The system seems really unfair to Paul.

I just noticed that I've been jacked.  I'm short about 100 cans all of a sudden.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 11, 2006, 09:40:15 pm
I noticed that about two days ago, but I figured you had already noticed it.

I think only G.O.D. can take that many at once.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 12, 2006, 03:34:36 am
Yes, but it's hard to imagine that the man wish the stache has done anything to warrant that sort of thing.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 12, 2006, 03:45:25 am
G.O.D. is mighty and whimsical. Because the cans are meaningless and arbitrary, we might expect something to happen to them that is meaningless and arbitrary.

Paul is still Paul even without a bunch of extra cans to carry around with him from thread to thread.









Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: jough on April 12, 2006, 03:48:38 am
Paul insulted me yesterday, so I took 100 of his cans and redistributed them to 10 lucky members.  It's like a Robin Hood thing.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AugustWest on April 12, 2006, 05:05:41 am
Posters of the Board, UNITE!  All you have to lose is your cans!
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: jough on April 12, 2006, 06:06:47 am
I thought it may be fun to never take a can from anyone without giving someone else that can.  Kind of like a Law of Conservation of Tiny Cans of Dr Pepper, where a can can neither be created nor destroyed.

We have attained can equilibrium, people.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 12, 2006, 08:15:17 am
I've been smote for 20 cans. Probably for being an impertinent lad.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 12, 2006, 02:20:15 pm
Posters of the Board, UNITE!  All you have to lose is your cans!
I've got some falsies if this is a concern.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: jough on April 12, 2006, 03:19:14 pm
I've been smote for 20 cans. Probably for being an impertinent lad.

But today you've been granted a boon of 30 cans.

See how arbitrary the can gods can be?
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 12, 2006, 03:41:02 pm
So this is a closed economy? Does that mean we have to run off noobs? Or is there some way they can be lured and tricked into going into can debt? 
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: jough on April 12, 2006, 04:21:36 pm
N00bs can't give or take away cans until they have 25 salient posts, so they are a scourge on the Can Economy, but do not contribute to it.  Like the Mexicans.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: arkabee on April 12, 2006, 05:25:43 pm
i thought the goal was to have the most contact info links under your avatar.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2006, 05:31:31 pm
KevBob!!!  Good to see you.

~Paul
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 12, 2006, 05:38:55 pm
It's arbitrary indeed. I was interested in the concept of making the total number of cans constant in the system and just seeing how they ultimately distribute themselves.

We could set up a central Can Reserve Bank. Lend cans at interest. Maybe a Can Market indexed to post qualities by select individuals - buy shares of the individuals with the value of the shares in cans. The economy would need a marketplace for the cans to change hands, though.

It sounds complex and silly but it could be interesting to observe.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: smick on April 12, 2006, 06:23:27 pm
It sounds as though this will require a math-o-matic.

I will lose... all layin' in a ditch, takin' that empty can out of my ho-bo-bindle, and sniffin' at it.

Thinkin' I can still smell the Dr. Pepper.

Wishin' I hadn't traded my g for that '.
Title: Re: 100 can club
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 19, 2006, 02:09:58 am
We should only be able to donate our own cans.