The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: thedudeabides85 on February 27, 2006, 08:46:50 am
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02272006
This strip is so fulfilling. The first panel, where the entire house is huddled around the computer waiting for Barry's blog to update is pretty much exactly what most of this messageboard is doing at 3 in the morning on weeknights. And goddamn Mr. Bear is about to play "Eye of the Tiger" on the trumpet with his cock.
Welcome back, Vlad!
-
I do believe Mr. Bear put the trumpet away to avoid any cock-playing activities.
Vlad have your recipe for two buns in a pickle is Solid Gold.
-
And the n00b race to get FIRST POST!!?!?!?!? recommences.
Not on the sofa, fellas.
At least you BOTH got the subject line correct.
-
I would like the last two panels more if they were switched, I think
-
And the n00b race to get FIRST POST!!?!?!?!? recommences.
hey, even n00bs have to start somewhere right?
there really only was one choice for the subject line, it was a can't-miss day.
i'm hoping tomorrow's strip starts with "...and back at the acres..."
i like philippe's reactions in panels 1 and 2. he looks very five.
-
I would like the last two panels more if they were switched, I think
In my excitement, I read it that way originally, but was confused when I could not discern the outline of a hard-on pressing against Cornelius' bathrobe. Now that I've calmed down, I'm glad that I was spared such a vulgar display. Mr. Bear and I have an understanding that he is civil, and wears loose, non-revealing undergarments.
-
I actually read it in the reverse order, too
When I re-read it, I was kind of disappointed
-
My first thought was that he was going to use it to play Taps when Lyle or Lie Bot killed the other. The cockplay didn't even factor into it, because Cornelius is not that kind of bear.
So worried is Mr. Bear that he's putting his cherished trumpet into the drawer with a lock on it. Just in case Lyle is still sober enough to open stuff.
-
God haha, the first part is totally a jab at us fans.
Seriously, Onstad has got to at least be looking at all these message boards, cuz he put in VLAD! God we haven't seen him in over a year have we?
Haha...Mr. Bear's silence rules.
-
this makes me get maximum chuckles.
I am sorry. did I mangle that? is that not how it goes?
the stuffed bear does not want Lyle to play his trumpet with his c*ck.
-
daaaaaamn but it's so good to see Vlad again. i've been on a serious ro-bot jones for about the past year, since the end of the ray's uncle arc.
after Lyle played Eye of the Tiger, I think he'd play the theme song from the Karate Kid, but maybe that's just me
-
You can't really see it, but there is a look of worry in Mr. Bears eye that maybe playing a trumpet with his cock isn't a new idea for Lyle.
~Paul
-
Thank you both for posting the exact right subject for this thread. I'm proud of you.
At first I was nonplussed by those last two panels ("wait, is Mr. Bear going to play a trumpet with his cock?!"), but the "locking it away from the roving hands and/or cock of Lyle" interpretation makes vastly more sense.
Furthermore, cock cock cock.
-
The first two panels even look like the TOUAMB logo!
-
Heh.. two buns in a pickle is a recipe I do not need. I wonder what Vlad's deal with buns and biscuits (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01172003) as colloquialisms is anyway?
Anyway yes, everything everyone already said; and then some.
-
GOOT/ the typo that became dialogue that was reused for dialogue.
-
I just remembered why Achewood's ro-bots are so fulfilling: they look like the tin-can and krazy glue formulations of a seven year old, only they're alive and "kickink your ass, sister!"
I bet Vlad's none too stable on his feet, but he is made of metal, so if Lyle just starts swinging instead of pushing him down, Lyle could probably hurt himself.
-
after Lyle played Eye of the Tiger, I think he'd play the theme song from the Karate Kid, but maybe that's just me
or perhaps "Takin' Care of Business."
-
Yet another person reporting in who thought that Mr. Bear was about to play his trumpet with his appendage. I thought he was opening the drawer for a special attachment. Then I read it correctly and thought I was the only weirdo in the world who misinterpreted the joke.
-
I just realized that Philippe goes to hide behind the chair but still look at the screen. Like he can't bear to look in case Ray got hurt but he also has to see what happened.
-
Yet another person reporting in who thought that Mr. Bear was about to play his trumpet with his appendage. I thought he was opening the drawer for a special attachment. Then I read it correctly and thought I was the only weirdo in the world who misinterpreted the joke.
I interpreted it that way as well. But then I got it. EYE OF THE TIGER -- hahahahahhaha. So now I finally "get it."
-
EYE OF THE TIGER -- hahahahahhaha.
If it weren't for Bobby, I'd probably never have "gotten it."
Education
-
The first two panels indeed look like TOUAMB's logo - I had not noticed it.
The best thing for me in this arc is the unnatural urge to kick ass that takes hold of whomever starts talking about the GOF. Also, Lyle should get a chance to explain properly to Philippe what's so great about fighting (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001). Just both of them alone in a room.
-
The best thing for me in this arc is the unnatural urge to kick ass that takes hold of whomever starts talking about the GOF.
Well, don't you feel like kicking ass for having discussed it? I know I do.
-
You can't really see it, but there is a look of worry in Mr. Bears eye that maybe playing a trumpet with his cock isn't a new idea for Lyle.
Oh God.
-
Second reference to Arsenal. He will be a major player.
-
Second reference to Arsenal. He will be a major player.
The entire team?
I relate with this strip. The last time I was drunk and figured it a good idea to fight, I ended up with a rugburn covering half my upper arm which still hasn't healed to this day (about a year).
-
I like that, in the first frame, Vlad is thinking, "Is SO good." Like, even in his head, he speaks broken English, not his native Whereverthehellhesfromese.
EDIT: frame /= strip
-
I like that, in the first frame, Vlad is thinking, "Is SO good." Like, even in his head, he speaks broken English, not his native Whereverthehellhesfromese.
I completely missed Vlad on my first viewing, and I was wondering why Teodor was thinking like Vlad.
-
I like that, in the first frame, Vlad is thinking, "Is SO good." Like, even in his head, he speaks broken English, not his native Whereverthehellhesfromese.
EDIT: frame /= strip
As an American formerly from a Soviet Socialist Republic, it is my duty to inform you that Onstad totally nails the accent and broken speech of Vlad. He sounds just like all of my damn relatives. Seriously, that is my favorite part of this strip, and all others with Vlad in them. No other writer comes close.
-
If you want to see the human equivilent of Vlad singing "You Light Up My Life" and if you enjoy melencholy + the humour of the pathetic, please go out and rent "Happiness" by Todd Solondz. Seriously the character is named Vlad and has a mustache. It is a movie worth watching: humourous, yet makes you want to die at the same time.
-
First post? Um, hi then.
I didn't even notice the lock on that drawer. Without a lock on the drawer, Cornelius is just being careful, keeping the trumpet out of plain sight. But no! Apparently the looming threat of a late night cock-playing is indeed so likely that it has to be put under lock and key to avoid having to drain more than spit from it the next day.
-
I didn't even notice the lock on that drawer. Without a lock on the drawer, Cornelius is just being careful, keeping the trumpet out of plain sight. But no! Apparently the looming threat of a late night cock-playing is indeed so likely that it has to be put under lock and key to avoid having to drain more than spit from it the next day.
Man, I can't blame him.
My question, upon further consideration: where's Lie Bot? Shouldn't he really be around if Vlad is? Honestly, I miss that guy; he may have been a one-note character, but it's a great note.
-
Man, I can't blame him.
My question, upon further consideration: where's Lie Bot? Shouldn't he really be around if Vlad is? Honestly, I miss that guy; he may have been a one-note character, but it's a great note.
Don't you remember? Lie Bot is in the GOF posing as Roast Beef and Ray. I think.
-
Don't you remember? Lie Bot is in the GOF posing as Roast Beef and Ray. I think.
I believe you have elucidated the one thing that could make this arc better: if Beef walks into the blog reading, totally confused, and then on Day Three of the Fight we see "Beef" ripping off his face and challenging Ray to a duel, automaton-stylezz.
-
Lie-bot was in the garage practicing the banjo at the time. But it's cool because he has built-in wireless access anyway. So he could practice and refresh the blog in his mind.
-
Well, don't you feel like kicking ass for having discussed it? I know I do.
Me? Sister, *I'm* so pumped I could play the drums in Led Zeppelin with my cock right now.
-
As an American formerly from a Soviet Socialist Republic...
Which one? Just interested because I am currently taking Russian.
-
Don't you remember? Lie Bot is in the GOF posing as Roast Beef and Ray. I think.
If Lie Bot were posing as Beef, that Cody Travis thing would have been all sorts of not true, and probably would not have seen the LED glow of Barry Best's reputable Gasps and Giggles (http://gaspsandgiggles.blogspot.com/).
On the other hand, it would be interesting to see how the people who run the GOF would react to a ***** infilitrator. (the fight is cat's only, no?)
Lie Bot: the Deep Blue of ass kicking, handing (to), and serving (up cold). Oh yes, people.
-
I read in the Wikipedia article (it might've been changed by now; I'm lazy) that Vlad is from Poland. I have read the archives enough times to know there's no proof of that. What say you all?
Also, I ate this strip up like the delicious plate of fan service that it was. I read the last few panels right the first time, but as I was reading them, I, too, wanted them to be switched. But not really, because that'd be a bit odd.
I guess I was hoping the GOF would bring out the craziness even in Mr. Bear.
-
I read in the Wikipedia article (it might've been changed by now; I'm lazy) that Vlad is from Poland. I have read the archives enough times to know there's no proof of that. What say you all?
Personally, I would be disappointed if Vlad was ever confirmed to come from any particular Eastern Bloc country. For Teodor, it works -- Teodor is the kind of character who can support a backstory -- but for Vlad, it would be gratuitous. Let him be a broadly-accented product of some postwar Yugoid factory; it's better that way.
-
I read in the Wikipedia article (it might've been changed by now; I'm lazy) that Vlad is from Poland. I have read the archives enough times to know there's no proof of that. What say you all?
Can we just vote for a nationality for Vlad? Could we make him, like, Uzbekistani? Because those dudes are crazy.
-
yugoid.
-
I prefer to think that Vlad was built in America to cater to the ethnically Slavic-American market. You know how there are people who are like 3/16ths Irish and have never gotten closer to Eire than a pint of Guinness but will buy anything with a shamrock on it? Vlad's model is designed to cater to a similar market of automaton-purchasing fourth-generation Slavic-Americans seeking to recapture their ethnicity even though he was built in Wisconsin.
-
When I "got" the last three panels, I almost fell off my chair. Priceless. The bear does not want the tiger to play the trumpet with his cock.
The standing globe in the back of the penultimate panel also cracks me up. It heightens the shift in tone between the first bit of the comic and the coda, by an amount that is, shall we say, delicious.
-
Yes, those last three panels were the essence of Achewood. At least to me - and I'm fallible.
I enjoyed seeing Lyle and Vlad buddying around (if their interaction counts as that). They seem like drinking buddies.
-
Overall, the thing that made the strip for me was that during the GOF arc there's been all this speculation, what's gonna happen, what is the meaning of this that & the other, and so on. So I stared at the last three panels, all "what am I supposed to see here?", and it was kind of a relief when it dawned on me that It's just a dick joke. (albeit a beautifully rendered dick joke)
A very welcome change of pace. Now let's start crackin' heads, dammit! ;)
-
I just glanced at the comic again, with the thought "just a dick joke" in my head, and noticed how lyle's exclamation is right in the very center of the comic. It's also the kind of panel that could stand alone on its own, and it would still amuse the crap out of me.
Oh. And where are my ##### ******?
Hmm.
edit: Just what I thought.
-
I read the last three panels in the correct order and loved every bit of them. Most of all because of the incredibly contrast between the noisy first half (2 thirds?) of the comic and the total silence in the final panels. All Cornelius calmly walking back to his room, carpet muffling his footfalls, the well oiled ball bearings in the drawer barely making a sound, a near silent click as the lock turns back.
It's not just that he's trying to be quiet about it, it's just that he is Cornelius: the very calm, detached nursing home of the achewood suburb, the lightly dusty, single occupant manor next to the frathouse, he doesn't *do* rowdy crowding around the computer and boner-sporting-drunken-#####-fighting. So yeah, me likey contrast.
-
Great Outdoor Fight coverage returns Wednesday!
BOO TO THAT
-
Great Outdoor Fight coverage returns Wednesday!
BOO TO THAT
word :|
-
ben-san--
I have a friend like that. except its for Scotland (don't ask how you can buy scotland-related things... I dont know.). She constantly talks about her "scottish heritage", runs down irish people, etc.
I am a bad person, because I constantly make anti-scottish or pro-irish comments around her. she gets wayyyy too upset. it's funny,but also a bit upsetting.
-
ben-san--
I have a friend like that. except its for Scotland (don't ask how you can buy scotland-related things... I dont know.). She constantly talks about her "scottish heritage", runs down irish people, etc.
When I worked at Busch Gardens (the European one, not the African one), I worked in a shop in the Scotland section selling all sorts of Scotland-themed merchandise. I was the most knowledgable person in the shop on tartans and that sort of thing, mainly because I knew how to spell "tartan" and spent a lot of time organzing mugs with Scottish last names on them. We used to get chewed out by guests on the regular for not knowing more about the Scottish stuff we sold. We usually responded, "Dude, you are in a fuckin' THEME PARK. The kids behind this counter will be selling cameras and film in another 30 minutes." At least, that's what we said after they left. You don't want to rile up a Scot, and you REALLY don't want to rile up someone who's convinced himself he's a Scot.
-
My dad goes on kicks like that where he gets all excited about our heritage. Except nobody knows if it's Irish or Scottish and our name has become so mangled that we can't even really trace it back. We could be related to McKeown's or McGowans or Cowans or Cowns and so on. So basically my dad gets arbitrarily into whichever nationality is cool at the time depending on whether it's near St. Patrick's Day or he's just seen part of Braveheart.
-
(don't ask how you can buy scotland-related things... I dont know.)
Welcome to All Things Scottish (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/91escottish.phtml) -- if it's not Scottish, it's crrrrraaaap!
-
Great Outdoor Fight coverage returns Wednesday!
Technically, coverage of the fight didn't even occur monday either.
Maybe he's just trying to really build the suspense? But we've still got two more days to go through, including the turkey and brandy or whatever that's about..
-
A true cynic would say that Onstad is waiting for a really good speculative post on this board to forward the storyline.
But, I'm not that cynical so I'm just positing this as a sort of a joke.
-
Inspired by this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2599.0.html) I think it would be a good idea for first posters everyday to, along with the permalink and the proper date for the strip, also post the alt text. Yeah, that's a good job for you 3 am obsessives. Get to it.
~Paul
-
Is Barry being sarcastic when he writes (The Tenmen - Gasp!)?
~Paul
-
Is Barry being sarcastic when he writes (The Tenmen - Gasp!)?
~Paul
I don't think so, but it sounds that way.
-
Is Barry being sarcastic when he writes (The Tenmen - Gasp!)?
~Paul
It sounds really corny to me. Serious or sarcastic. Then again, the name of the blog is "Gasps and Giggles," so what should I expect, really?