The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: oball on March 10, 2006, 09:45:01 am

Title: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: oball on March 10, 2006, 09:45:01 am
So Beef still lives. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03102006)  Well, everyone saw it coming. 

This one doesn't really do much for me humour-wise, but it has much needed exposition, I guess.  Still, that kick in the last panel is pretty dang cool.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Tangle on March 10, 2006, 09:55:14 am
Certain things I loved.

The startled jump Ray makes when the lid opens.

The buddy-buddy handshake.

Fourth row, last panel: I just really like this one. It's like Beef has now accomplished a dream he has had for so long. Very emotional.

The mean mouth on Ray in the second-to-last panel. And man, he doesn't even wait for Rudy to react to the trash talk, just cold kicks the dude in the head HARD.

Did Beef have an extra pair of goggles?
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Cynicar on March 10, 2006, 10:26:10 am
Called it!  Woo!

I'm not sure how I feel about Beef's self-sacrificing though.  This may be that I just really want him to win, but I don't think I buy it.

I mean, yes, Ray's BOC and so he can claim being the heir to the throne, but Beef's the dude who memorized the interviews, plotted for years, and actually cares about this thing.  Ray on the other hand just realized his lineage a couple weeks ago and joined on a lark.

I mean, would you make maps and break into credit records if you just wanted to see the Fight from the inside?  I would just operate the crane.

Actually, I think that would be a pretty sweet job.  I would do that anyday.

I think Beef is still plotting.  Just like Ray's Hat of Menace, Beef still has his Goggles of Secret Motivations.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: cellardoor on March 10, 2006, 11:46:01 am
Slap, dap.

So cool!
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: MattFish on March 10, 2006, 12:17:08 pm
Called it!  Woo!

I'm not sure how I feel about Beef's self-sacrificing though.  This may be that I just really want him to win, but I don't think I buy it.

I mean, yes, Ray's BOC and so he can claim being the heir to the throne, but Beef's the dude who memorized the interviews, plotted for years, and actually cares about this thing.  Ray on the other hand just realized his lineage a couple weeks ago and joined on a lark.

I think I totally still agree with you. Beef's still in his element and is probably still playing Ray. At least this strip basically cleared everything up? And the takedown of Rudy is great, with the no-waiting-for-reaction...Dammit, only 3 posts and already everything I meant to say was said. I need to wake up earlier.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: theinevitable on March 10, 2006, 12:22:21 pm
Roast beef will be all "aren't you forgetting something, ray?" and cold destroy him.

Now that Ray has said he would beat down roast beef, roast beef is OK in beating him down first. once one has broken the pact of friends since small times, the other is no longer bound.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Apemantus on March 10, 2006, 12:33:02 pm
But then the question is: if Roast Beef knows everybody's secret weakness, whether juvenile cross-dressing or fiscally lax significant others, what's he going to use to stone cold take down Ray? Birthday cake and booty?
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: misterqueue on March 10, 2006, 12:45:47 pm
Not much to say here, a lot of open exposition which is really jarring for Achewood.


All these quick summaries and Beef's acceptance just seems;  too easy.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: wombat on March 10, 2006, 12:57:40 pm
That's like comparing a lunatic to a pissed man with goals.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: EgoSumNoah on March 10, 2006, 01:06:25 pm
That's like comparing a lunatic to a pissed man with goals.

I'm not sure I believe that Beef is going to "stone cold betray" SoRod. He's not that cold a dude in real life. Beef was not the type of kitten to want to BE the champion, just to want to be close to him. That being said, I doubt he just takes it.

So, is that dude dropped, or will Ray have to finish him in the next strip? Or will he get back up after Beef takes out Ray, and win it... ? <DUN DUN DUN>
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: sensate on March 10, 2006, 01:16:34 pm
Damn, Ray has Technique! All flying kick and such as. I don't think it's about the Fight. I'ma guess Beef goes down (most humorously) and Ray wins. I mean, if it's wrong that Ray wins after only beating 3 asses, how would it look for Beef to win, having beaten only one, Son of Stubbs or no? Besides, can anyone here imagine Beef as some kind of asskicking legend? Picture the after celebration--the guy from the Californian going like "So how does it feel to be The Baddest Dude?" and Beef all mumbling into his shorts. Not to mention Ray feeling hugely betrayed and humiliated. They wouldn't be friends anymore after something like that. I don't see it.

Still hoping for something unexpectedly absurd and humorous, but Beef winning isn't in the cards. I'm betting Ray humiliates himself right after he wins.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: sensate on March 10, 2006, 01:26:23 pm
And I just noticed this: Rudy Cava is the only one in the fight besides Ray & Beef (oh, and Sikes) without facial hair.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 10, 2006, 01:29:54 pm
Damn, Ray has Technique! All flying kick and such as. I don't think it's about the Fight. I'ma guess Beef goes down (most humorously) and Ray wins. I mean, if it's wrong that Ray wins after only beating 3 asses, how would it look for Beef to win, having beaten only one, Son of Stubbs or no?

That would cold make you a Judas. There have been a few of those -- in 1981 Hector Trampoliño -- and they are always shunned at the winners' parties.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 10, 2006, 01:30:15 pm
And I just noticed this: Rudy Cava is the only one in the fight besides Ray & Beef (oh, and Sikes) without facial hair.
And Leander.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: BatzRadio on March 10, 2006, 01:44:41 pm
The buddy-buddy pound shared in panels 5 and 6.

Best subtle touch in the strip in a long-ass time.

Rest was alright too.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Jeepers on March 10, 2006, 01:46:55 pm
My prediction- Since we didn't see Cava go down (and he is the 2997th man standing after all), Cava and Ray take each other out and Beef is left as the Baddest Dude Alive.

 There is hope for us in the RBK camp. 
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: CortJstr on March 10, 2006, 01:55:33 pm
My prediction- Since we didn't see Cava go down (and he is the 2997th man standing after all), Cava and Ray take each other out and Beef is left as the Baddest Dude Alive.

 There is hope for us in the RBK camp. 

Assuming Beef can take out the English nerds, that is. They might have powers.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: V-Adore on March 10, 2006, 02:18:28 pm
I am shivering with antici... ... pation for the English Nerd Update. Knowing what happened to Leander wouldn't be half bad, either.

My favorite part of this strip, by far, is that Ray doesn't even wait for his verbal smackdown to have any effect before he kicks the dude. It's like he knows he has to deliver some kind of trash talk, but ultimately he just wants this guy's ass down so he and Beef can move onto firmly establishing the Son of Rodney legend.

(Or move onto Beef betraying him, or onto Barry pulling an undercat miracle victory, but, y'know, whatever.)
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Jeepers on March 10, 2006, 02:36:59 pm
Assuming Beef can take out the English nerds, that is. They might have powers.

I don't think the english dudes are in the fight anymore. In panel 14 RB says "Allright looks like last dude standing is Rudy Cava"
I think a lot of guys got taken out during Ray's nap, and a lot more got taken out while Ray was warming his paws by the trashcan full of Beef.
I'm pretty sure these guys are the last 3.... unless...
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: sensate on March 10, 2006, 02:38:15 pm
"Trashcan full of Beef" is totally going to be the name of my smooth jazz album.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: robot_god on March 10, 2006, 02:52:19 pm
I am in a hotel right now and this strip made it worth the 13 bucks for internet access.  Once Beef popped out, I'm thinkin', money well spent.

Anyway, Ray and Beef are going to fight, man, and overall, the fight will be beneficial for their friendship.  I mean, no matter how much you love Ray, there must be pent up agression towards him.  Especially if he is your best bud from old times.  My earlier prediction was reenactment of the fight scene from They Live.  Bring it on, man, or at least something equivalent.

Although there is no way Beef can lose in Beef v. Ray, Ray will win.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: spinn on March 10, 2006, 02:54:20 pm
Man, how can no one have mentioned Beef's exclamation point? The extra space before it...it's like he's not quite comfortable with punctuation.

I dig on little details like that. Excellent.

Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: spinn on March 10, 2006, 02:56:35 pm
Oh, man. Okay, sorry about the double post. And actually, sorry about the spoiler, because I know I am Right. But his just came to me, and I have to post it.

What's Beef going to use to take down his oldest friend? The fact that he is Ray's oldest friend. It's going to be heartbreaking the same way Cartilage Head was disturbing.

Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 10, 2006, 02:57:38 pm
Man, how can no one have mentioned Beef's exclamation point? The extra space before it...it's like he's not quite comfortable with punctuation.

I dig on little details like that. Excellent.



I think it's more an absolute uniformity and levelness of speech. Previous example: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06302003
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: nuero on March 10, 2006, 03:17:41 pm
Yeah, Beef always does that, nothing new

What happened to the Latino Health Crisis
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Emergent_C on March 10, 2006, 03:19:33 pm
Just like Ray's Hat of Menace, Beef still has his Goggles of Secret Motivations.

Goggles of Deception, is more like it. Beef is cold wearing those things to make it possible for him to lie to Ray. And I don't care how much of a badass Hissing SoRod is, Ray has weaknesses numbering in the dozens and Beef knows every one of them.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2006, 03:25:18 pm
It should be obvious to all that Beef is going to be the winner.  Everything that has transpired up to this point, EVERYTHING, has been carefully orchestrated by Beef.  Beef's concession is just a continuation of this.  Remember that when Beef said what he said there was still the matter of Rudy Cava to deal with.  Beef is going to win the GOF.  Allow me to reveal how Beef is going to do it.  Right at the moment of truth Ray is going to be suddenly distracted by the appearance of his Mother.

Oh and I like how Ray's taunts are very reminiscent of his tauntings of Marmaduke and Cathy and etc..

~Paul
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2006, 03:27:03 pm
Goggles of Deception, is more like it. Beef is cold wearing those things to make it possible for him to lie to Ray. And I don't care how much of a badass Hissing SoRod is, Ray has weaknesses numbering in the dozens and Beef knows every one of them.

You beat me to the punch Emma, you are totally correct.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: nuero on March 10, 2006, 03:33:42 pm
Nobody mentioned it and I just noticed it but I like the "JESUS H. CHRIST" in panel one
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: CortJstr on March 10, 2006, 03:59:54 pm
I don't think the english dudes are in the fight anymore. In panel 14 RB says "Allright looks like last dude standing is Rudy Cava"
I think a lot of guys got taken out during Ray's nap, and a lot more got taken out while Ray was warming his paws by the trashcan full of Beef.
I'm pretty sure these guys are the last 3.... unless...

But the alt-text says we'll catch up with the English dudes later. I assume Beef meant "the last dude [who is not in our camp] standing is Rudy Cava."

Also: I just suddenly flashed back to one of the bonus strips where the punchline is Beef saying "half an ounce of Fuck You, Ray" or something to that effect. Underlying hostility is awesome.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: jough on March 10, 2006, 04:06:10 pm
Beef of course resents Ray and has much hostility in him for all of the bad things that Ray has done to him during the course of their friendship.  I mean, the dude may be mild-mannered but he does come from Circumstances after all.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: acoxcae on March 10, 2006, 04:17:43 pm
I assumed "Catching up later with the English nerds" meant we'd probably get a post-fight entry in Gasps and Giggles.  I'm pretty sure it's just the final three there on the plain.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on March 10, 2006, 04:25:17 pm
Like most people here, I am secretly hoping for that Beef takes it all the way and wins the GOF.  However, I don't think this is Onstad's style.  One of the defining elements of Ray's character is his constant stream of undeserved good luck (for example, finding that fifty dollar bill on the ground after wrecking his Escalade).  I think him winning the Fight by depending on Beef's careful, lifelong study of the event fits nicely into this mold.  Also, Beef is just plain not ruthless enough to set up and screw over his best friend like that.  He ain't no crap dude.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Roger on March 10, 2006, 04:55:08 pm
Is anyone still expecting Ray's father to show up in the end?

I think it's more an absolute uniformity and levelness of speech. Previous example: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06302003

Dude how were you able to find that strip with the exclamation points? I'm in awe.
Is the Tagging Project done and nobody told me?
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: CortJstr on March 10, 2006, 05:05:52 pm
Beef is just plain not ruthless enough to set up and screw over his best friend like that.  He ain't no crap dude.

I dunno, there was the fake Yahoo personal of Ray that resulted in almost seven Puerto Rican chicks to beat down Ray's ass which Beef was almost certainly in on. He did get Ray to give him two Pro-Elite Roombas.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: misterqueue on March 10, 2006, 05:17:07 pm
I dunno, there was the fake Yahoo personal of Ray that resulted in almost seven Puerto Rican chicks to beat down Ray's ass which Beef was almost certainly in on. He did get Ray to give him two Pro-Elite Roombas.

Getting things from Ray is like stealing sucrose laden substances from gestating homo sapiens.  Ray has more than he needs and he likes to people to like him (for the most part). 

What we need remember here is that bad things happen to Beef.  They happen in a matter-of-fact way sometimes, and sometimes because he commits an act of self-fulfilled prophecy.  Ray on the other hand is finding ancient pornography worth tons of money in his breakfast cereal.  This is the way these things happen.

I think Beef's stone cold Rorshach state is a front for the others.  It's man time and he's comin' real with Ray here.  They just gave each other a dap man, you cannot break that kind of bond.  He will take the fall, but only because as in most things of his life he doesn't feel deserving and this is the way of their friendship.  This is the way things are.

The good news is that usually after something tragic happens to Beef, he gets some reprieve for a while.  Good things tend to come thereafter.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2006, 05:24:09 pm
Beef is just plain not ruthless enough to set up and screw over his best friend like that.

He's totally got it in him, he's just never had the motivation before.  Beef wants to be champion, he's wanted it all of his pathetic life.  He knows that Ray is doing this on a whim and it really don't mean shit to him, so he won't think twice about doing him in and taking the crown (or whatever the champion gets).  Also, I would guess that being GOF champion involves a monetary prize as well as other lucrative opportunities.  How else could a guy like Evelope Martinez afford to live in Ray's neighborhood.  So that's gotta be on Beef's mind.  Maybe Beef will be able to move out of Ray's pool house.  He knows Molly hates it there.  Yeah there's too much at stake for Beef to take a fall now and you know he's got the power, he wouldn't be standing now if he didn't know from the start he could see it through to the end.

Excitement.

~Paul
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Emergent_C on March 10, 2006, 05:33:23 pm
Perhaps the key is to combine these two ideas: Beef needs to win, and Ray has an unending streak of ridiculous good luck. It is just possible that this ridiculous luck will allow Beef to win the GOF and Ray to still walk away happy. Think on it.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: keef on March 10, 2006, 05:35:03 pm
It should be obvious to all that Beef is going to be the winner.  Everything that has transpired up to this point, EVERYTHING, has been carefully orchestrated by Beef.  Beef's concession is just a continuation of this.  Remember that when Beef said what he said there was still the matter of Rudy Cava to deal with.  Beef is going to win the GOF.  Allow me to reveal how Beef is going to do it.  Right at the moment of truth Ray is going to be suddenly distracted by the appearance of his Mother.

Oh and I like how Ray's taunts are very reminiscent of his tauntings of Marmaduke and Cathy and etc..

~Paul

I don't know about this.  It seems to me that Beef cares more about the winner of the fight being a total badass.  Beef's dialogue seems heartfelt to me.  The fact that he says "You can't kick just three asses and win the Great Outdoor Fight.  No one would respect you."  sort of backs me up here.  What does that say about a man who kicks one ass and wins the great outdoor fight?

I think he's fully ready to lay it down for Ray.

However, I don't think Ray's going to win.  I think it's more likely that he either will get beat down by Rudy Cava, or when the time comes he'll be all unable to do the deed and some bizarre confluence of events will lead to roast beef being the winner.  I just don't think he's harboring any secret desire to pound Ray and go on to take the title.  If he does end up winning, it'll be due to something else.

All that shit said, I really loved this strip.  The SLIF, the slap-dap, the perfect dialogue.  KEEP IT COMING SIR ONSTAD
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: spinn on March 10, 2006, 05:44:32 pm
What we need remember here is that bad things happen to Beef.  They happen in a matter-of-fact way sometimes, and sometimes because he commits an act of self-fulfilled prophecy.  Ray on the other hand is finding ancient pornography worth tons of money in his breakfast cereal.  This is the way these things happen.

But weren't you stunned when they're driving to the Fight and Beef just casually runs down a guy with the motorbike? That right there was my sign that this was going to be a different Beef than we're used to.

Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: colmore on March 10, 2006, 05:46:46 pm
Ray's gonna win.  There will be some surpsies, I'm sure, but Ray will win.

Look.  There's a big difference between knowing  the weakness of every major GOF contender, and actually being able to deliver a Chun Lee style flying kick to the side of the head once you've stunned your opponent by bringing up his Circumstances.  Beef clearly has some chops, he was able to stick around when Son Of Rodney was passed out in Tent of Brandy, but for the most part he's been sitting back and having the fighting done for him.  You can't study your way into Ray's killer instinct, that kind of thing is either in your blood or isn't.

Beef respects the fight.  Just like he didn't want to see Ray win having only kicked one dude's ass, he couldn't live with himself being the kind of guy to take the title having only busted one man down on into his component parts; it's just not right.  Also, he knows his history.  He joined up with Ray knowing that as a B.O.C. and he was likely to go into a three day Dutch fugue.  You can't study yourself out of a goddamned hurricane, man, you just say your piece to the guy from cable and then hope for the best.

Ray wins.  Ray wins at just about everything, and Onstad likes his character that way.  That's why the whole CH arc was so compelling, because it ripped Ray out of his element.  This isn't one of those cases though.  Unlike most circumstances though, I think this time Ray really understands that his ass would have been grass without his old best friend.  That right there is something special.  Look for a big nod to Beef by Bob Raffles or whoever.  The real fans of the fight know and respect the hardship that a true right-hand-man goes through.

Lastly, I think we all have to admit that The Fugue really is a bit of a showman.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: misterqueue on March 10, 2006, 05:54:01 pm
But weren't you stunned when they're driving to the Fight and Beef just casually runs down a guy with the motorbike? That right there was my sign that this was going to be a different Beef than we're used to.



No.  For Beef this is a scholarly thing.  That is "what needs to be done".  He takes no pleasure in it but he attacks it like code.  He's studied it for years and years and this is the plan he's concocted and at this point it's a no brainer.  It's just lucky that Ray found out he's BOC so he has a purpose to enact it I suppose.

When the end comes he will want Ray to win, not only because he doesn't believe he deserves it, but also because "that is how the GOF should end."  He believes in it, passionately.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: CortJstr on March 10, 2006, 05:56:24 pm
Perhaps the key is to combine these two ideas: Beef needs to win, and Ray has an unending streak of ridiculous good luck. It is just possible that this ridiculous luck will allow Beef to win the GOF and Ray to still walk away happy. Think on it.

This is true. Even when bad shit happens to Ray (crashing his car, going to hell) he still manages to find money or meet famous people or whatever. So Ray random trips and falls in a sink hole which takes him out of the fight so Beef wins. Mean while Ray finds a passage in the hole that leads him to the Lost City of Gold.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Hobot on March 10, 2006, 05:58:45 pm
I assumed "Catching up later with the English nerds" meant we'd probably get a post-fight entry in Gasps and Giggles.  I'm pretty sure it's just the final three there on the plain.

Even if the blokes are still around, they strike me as more imbedded-reporter- than stone-cold-killer-types.  Think Geraldo, but with less infinite stupidity.



...Beef's careful, lifelong study of the event...

Wouldn't it be nice if Beef were the Last Cat Standing?  It would prove once and for all that studious individuals are winners.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: spinn on March 10, 2006, 06:04:37 pm
On further reflection I have to recant my spoiler. Here's an idea: Ray doesn't want to beat on Beef, but Beef uses something from their childhood to make him do it.

Yeah. Okay, yeah. That's where I put my money.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: evan on March 10, 2006, 06:48:40 pm
Ray won't be able to do it when the time comes, he'll just lay down and let Beef win. Why else would Onstad be putting this much foreshadowing on it?
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: drew on March 10, 2006, 06:54:39 pm
The more I think about it, I wonder if we might see a moment of self-sacrifice from Ray. Perhaps he will be so touched by Beef's proposition that he'll take the fall. Maybe that will make up for the "Beef wants to kiss girls on their TITTIES!!" remark from old times.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 10, 2006, 06:55:00 pm
Misterqueue has a good grasp on it.

Beef won't win the fight.  He doesn't want to win the fight.  He's not a fighter, he's a FAN of the fight.  Having an invisible hand in the outcome is more fitting to the superfan mentality than owning it outright.  Beef's got too much of a sense of history and respect to use his awesome knowledge of the fight for some piddling personal gain.

The only real question to me at this point is, will the fight kill Beef? (...again)

So here's the prediction:

I would like to see Ray turn to Beef, both bow silently, and both kick the living crap out of eachother for 5 solid hours.  After a valiant effort, the man named Cassandra passes out with the words "..always wanted to fight..the fight." or some such.  Cut to a bandaged Ray hosting a party with bandaged Beef in attendance.  At the back of the party, a trophy case in which the GOF prize sits alongside a photo that reads: "I proved myself a coward who would desert a dying man."

Damn.  This is basically like fanfiction.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Nabubrush on March 10, 2006, 06:57:49 pm
But the alt-text says we'll catch up with the English dudes later. I assume Beef meant "the last dude [who is not in our camp] standing is Rudy Cava."

Also: I just suddenly flashed back to one of the bonus strips where the punchline is Beef saying "half an ounce of Fuck You, Ray" or something to that effect. Underlying hostility is awesome.

I actually just glanced over this book as I was packing yesterday, and I believe it's 6 ounces.

Also, if Pedro's prediction came true, it would be a nice callout to the classic epic fight in They Live, much as Ray's using Rudy's circumstances is sort of a nice callout to Paul Newman's needling in Slapshot.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: V-Adore on March 10, 2006, 07:53:00 pm
Damn.  This is basically like fanfiction.

"Basically like?" I believe you mean "is unabashedly," Pedro.

I'll confess: what I'm really hoping for is an ending I don't expect at all. Have Ray and Beef double-DQ themselves, or have them force the GOF organizers to split the trophy. Have Leander show up and open a can of limitless, Black-Flag-y rage on his former commanding officers. Hell, give us the Latin Health Crisis with a last-minute TKO!

In reality, I know one of the Dirtiest Dudes will win, but I want to be surprised. If Ray just does it through luck, eh.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: dejavroom on March 10, 2006, 08:34:54 pm
I just keep seeing this scene where Beef starts pushing Ray towards the Act, like "Do it Ray" (front shot of Beef's face) "Do it Ray !" (camera gets closer to his face, his eyebrows in angry mode) "DO IT ! ! !", until Ray snaps (he's usually susceptible to this "dont-think-just-ACT" type of pressure) and cold cracks Beef's skull with a blow.

But I am at a loss, really. Beef betraying Ray seems so alien to him, he's basically very *decent*...
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: behka on March 10, 2006, 09:00:36 pm
Beef Will Win.

in my humble  opinion.   

Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Lister on March 10, 2006, 09:05:02 pm
I think we all win, really.

WE ARE WINNERS
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: misterqueue on March 10, 2006, 09:12:25 pm
I think we all win, really.

WE ARE WINNERS

<MisterQueue> ******#####: Lister
<******#####> Lister dropped the hump on the twice baked potato and vomited on my shoes a real winner!


good gravy, I'm actually writing faux chat here.  HELP ME.

Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: jough on March 10, 2006, 10:01:29 pm
Beef Will Win.

in my humble  opinion.   

Care to, uh, make it interesting?
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: pmcd9 on March 10, 2006, 10:24:55 pm
Care to, uh, make it interesting?


Run, Behka, Run...

~Paul
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: R-Machine on March 10, 2006, 10:57:13 pm
POSSIBLE STUNNING GOF ENDGAME PLOT TWISTS:

1) Todd wins it. He was hiding under a beer can the entire time, biding his time until only one remained.

2) The entire thing is a hoax. Roast Beef felt sorry that Ray was humiliated by Cartilage Head, so he constructed a way for him to regain his manhood. He formed a partnership with Todd and had him ask Ray for seeder for a business, which they split; Todd using his for smack n' hos, and Beef to hire a vast armada of goons and a tract of land in Bakersfield. He talked everyone else into following along and constructed a crude history of the Fight based on the radio show "Great Outdoor Fight", which was a fan of in his childhood. He knew Ray would go along with it unwittingly, especially when he constructed a false website and fraudulent eBay items. He then talked Ray's mother into going along with it, and the plan was set in motion. The arc will end with So-Rod winning the GOF so handily that they decide never to hold it again (conveniently). Ray never discovers the truth.

3) It was Liebot. Somehow.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Doc on March 10, 2006, 11:48:59 pm
I just got off a graveyard shift so sorry if someone mentioned this and I didn't notice, but it is all so obvious now: Ray is going to take a fall for Beef.

Beef would never betray Ray; he is too much his dogg, but at the crucial moment Ray might just see how empty the win is, taking down Beef is too easy, he might just see how much winning the fight would mean to Beef. How much more hardcore can you get than coming out of nowhere and taking down SoRod?
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: theinevitable on March 11, 2006, 12:14:28 am
And they fought over the GOF, and there was a great schism.

I think Beef will win.

Or... i thought that.
now I imagine Beef having to force ray to beat him down. Spinn is right. this is how it will go.

OR:
BIG AMERICAN PARTY
everyone is dancing!
Who is driving? Oh my god Bear is driving! How can this be?!
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 11, 2006, 12:17:48 am
I just got off a graveyard shift so sorry if someone mentioned this and I didn't notice, but it is all so obvious now: Ray is going to take a fall for Beef.

Beef would never betray Ray; he is too much his dogg, but at the crucial moment Ray might just see how empty the win is, taking down Beef is too easy, he might just see how much winning the fight would mean to Beef. How much more hardcore can you get than coming out of nowhere and taking down SoRod?


Perhaps something akin to Rodney Stubbs proposing to his wife immediately after winning, SoRod will make the groundbreaking new rule that you CAN share victory.

And then the two will be chased by an angry, traditionalist mob, barely escaping back to Achewood and obscurity.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Color_Me_Brad on March 11, 2006, 12:39:30 am
Genius. The only way I can describe how he brought Beef back. He just crawls out the barrell. And he's back. So funny. Glad the subject of what happens if the two are left come up.......Beef is such a good friend. We'll see if he lives up to what he says though...Wow......Last guy.......Seems the GOF will be done with next week!!!!!!! And it all stated with cell phones with testes.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: AugustWest on March 11, 2006, 03:26:00 am
I think Ray will win.  It's what he does. 

Likewise, I think Beef will die.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: estevus on March 11, 2006, 04:05:19 am
Both Ray and Beef will win the Fight, regardless the fact that Beef is totally going down in the end. Ray will be named the champ and ensure the Stubbs name continues its legacy, but Beef will share the victory by having strategically manipulated everything to make Ray the champ.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 11, 2006, 05:52:35 am
What if the english guys dutifully take each other out in a grotesque display of grotesque displayingness?
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: revdj on March 11, 2006, 03:03:54 pm
I am in a hotel right now and this strip made it worth the 13 bucks for internet access.  Once Beef popped out, I'm thinkin', money well spent.


Holy crap.  I am in a hotel right now, too!  I had to spend 10 bucks.  This means your hotel is probably nicer than mine.  The cheapass hotels I usually stay in (when I am paying) give free internetitude.

Let us make it "interesting"  - If Beef wins, all the "ray" people have to, at some point in the next week, use the phrase 'Keep the change amigo, you're good people' at work, without explaining why.  If Ray wins, all the "beef" people have to, at some point in the next week, use the phrase  'cowboy sauce' under similar circumstances.

Anybody in?

(For the record, I think it is going to be Beef.)
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Nabubrush on March 11, 2006, 08:54:51 pm
I'll vote Beef, as it would be far easier for me to use "Cowboy Sauce" at work. As a matter of fact, I'm going to start using it no matter what happens.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: theinevitable on March 11, 2006, 11:08:37 pm
man.
I was talking to my girlfriend yesterday, and I said
me: "so I was talking to emily about achewood, and..."
she: "emily reads achewood?"
me: "yeah. why?"
she: *looks worried* "oh. no reason. I've been meaning to start reading it again."
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Mr. Chord on March 11, 2006, 11:26:10 pm
Yeah, uh. Hm, well - not a big fan of this arc, so I'm glad to see it winding down. I'm still holding out for some unexpected twist at the end that will turn the whole thing around.

That being said, did Onstad have Ray make a very pointed joke about child molestation? Rudy looked genuinely hurt.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Omegatron on March 12, 2006, 01:57:41 am
man.
I was talking to my girlfriend yesterday, and I said
me: "so I was talking to emily about achewood, and..."
she: "emily reads achewood?"
me: "yeah. why?"
she: *looks worried* "oh. no reason. I've been meaning to start reading it again."

Brilliant.

So... where is Molly in all this?
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Doc on March 12, 2006, 01:43:32 pm
...not a big fan of this arc...

Get Him!
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: jough on March 12, 2006, 06:10:12 pm
I really loved the build-up to the fight, but yeah, the actual fight itself has been pretty much a letdown.  The last couple of strips especially seem like Onstad no longer has his heart in this arc and has gotten bored with it.

This could've been something that he could have dragged out for weeks, alternating between inside the fight and further complications outside of the fight, with one of the other dozen or so main characters.  But the plot of the fight has been... simple.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: EgoSumNoah on March 13, 2006, 05:08:25 pm
I really loved the build-up to the fight, but yeah, the actual fight itself has been pretty much a letdown.  The last couple of strips especially seem like Onstad no longer has his heart in this arc and has gotten bored with it.

This could've been something that he could have dragged out for weeks, alternating between inside the fight and further complications outside of the fight, with one of the other dozen or so main characters.  But the plot of the fight has been... simple.


I'm not sure if I would have wanted it to drag out for weeks. Based on interviews, it sounds like Onstad invents his strips on a day-to-day basis. A good, long GOF arc would have involved a lot of planning. The humor comes from this insane giraffe out of water, giraffe out of the space-time continuum, giraffe blowing my mind situation, and it would take a lot of planning and momentum to keep that up for several weeks.

BUT, if Onstad were ever to come out with a Achewood graphic novel with a single, cohesive narrative, the GOF could easily be it. Of course, the meanwhile outside the fight bits would be necessary, perhaps juxtaposing the fight with Phillipe's antics, or comparing it to Lyle and Vlad's backyard rendition.

Come on Achewood novel! Pleeeeease?
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: behka on March 13, 2006, 07:41:49 pm
Quote
Care to, uh, make it interesting?

but i'm out of sexual favors!





(sorry, was in detroit all week)
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Bozack on March 13, 2006, 08:13:51 pm
David Wain? Jesus, I have been gone a long time.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: robot_god on March 13, 2006, 11:00:24 pm
I really loved the build-up to the fight, but yeah, the actual fight itself has been pretty much a letdown.  The last couple of strips especially seem like Onstad no longer has his heart in this arc and has gotten bored with it.

This could've been something that he could have dragged out for weeks, alternating between inside the fight and further complications outside of the fight, with one of the other dozen or so main characters.  But the plot of the fight has been... simple.


I concur, but I have to admit that at some point I started getting bored of it myself, it's been going on for like two solid months now.  During the build-up, the story was taking twists so sharp that they would make you feel physical pain, but since the fight began things have been progressing in a very linear fashion, despite there being some quality surprises here and there.

Thinking about it, most of the things presented since the beginning of the fight have not really had much importance to the plot at all.  For example, Ray and Beef pick up a pack of goons, but the goons don't really do anything.  Ray tears off a man's face, but it leads to basically nothing.  Ray drinks three quarters of a liter of brandy, but he emerges from the tent basically sober.  They have all been good strips but have not really done anything more than pass the time in the fight.

Nevertheless, I am sure that no matter what the outcome is, it is going to be climactic.  To prepare, I have refrained from orgasming for seven days so that when - eh forget it.
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Drygioni on March 13, 2006, 11:06:28 pm
I hope it makes sense when I say the GOF has been a lot like Talking Heads career was. All brilliant beginnings in 77, the sort of midway 'just awesome but where's the spark' Little Creatures and then sort of 'we don't have much heart in this' sounding Naked at the end. But with plenty of awesome twists and surprises along the way! And lots of fans gathered. I guess you could apply this to any band really, but yeah. I like Talking Heads.

 

Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: spesimen on March 16, 2006, 01:47:14 am
  Ray drinks three quarters of a liter of brandy, but he emerges from the tent basically sober. 

perhaps you are not familiar with the awesome power of alcoholism. 3/4 liter of christian bros aint nothin!
Title: Re: March 10, 2006 - The dude so raw he beat down his oldest friend
Post by: Nabubrush on March 16, 2006, 03:27:23 am
Do you think it is cool to be an alcoholic?

Oh, wait . . .