The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on April 14, 2006, 08:34:13 am

Title: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 14, 2006, 08:34:13 am
He just knows Teodor's weakness for gourmet breakfasts and hundy-dollar bills, doesn't he?
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: goldenchurchhill on April 14, 2006, 09:19:54 am
Man that is awesome.  Ray bribes his friends to eat omlettes with him at 5 in the morning.  I have a friend who does the exact same thing, but usually with substances and legal substances. 

Are these new bad guys?
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: bonaparte on April 14, 2006, 09:38:48 am
I wish that I was a cartoon cat who lived in an imaginary city in California so that I could party with Ray and use the mere pleasure of my company to wheedle delicious cheese omelettes and ben franklins off of him.

I know it's been said before, but Ray Smuckles is a wonderful man.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: robot_god on April 14, 2006, 09:46:07 am
He stole Beef's line.

Then again, he's always been interested in 'forty-five degrees.'
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: LCB on April 14, 2006, 10:50:37 am
And what's with Ray and Beef's thing for terms for eating that start with gr- ? I could roll with that old number grelicious, and gruffle but gruzzle? That sounds kind of disgusting.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on April 14, 2006, 10:59:35 am
He stole Beef's line.

Then again, he's always been interested in 'forty-five degrees.'

He's been meaning to learn a little geometry.

(Or maybe he's attempting to keep away from an Isosceles Lock)
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: mrdna1 on April 14, 2006, 11:51:04 am
I like how Ray's line combined with the alt text suggests they've been watching Braveheart for the past nine or ten hours.

edit: and YES, the bottom panel row is how to do creepy darkness.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: jough on April 14, 2006, 02:49:46 pm
Yes!  Very nice 5AM light there.

Yeah, I don't get the made up gr- words lately.  I mean, you can't exactly gruzzle (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gruzzle) an omelet, since it is a noun and not a verb.  I think he meant gruffle (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gruffle) again, but forgot himself.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 14, 2006, 04:22:59 pm
Link to the strip, friends. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04142006)  It's a vital component for those who may be reading this IN THE FUTURE.

And the world is full of nouns as verbs - fax, Google, bone...why not gruzzle?
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: jough on April 14, 2006, 04:25:18 pm
Because "gruzzle" means a half-burnt afro.

You can't "half-burn afro" your meal, dude, no matter how hard you try.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Mite on April 14, 2006, 04:37:03 pm
There are way too many 'izzles' in that post for me to take it seriously. That definition was written by a white kid from Bethesda..
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 14, 2006, 04:49:35 pm
Because "gruzzle" means a half-burnt afro.

You can't "half-burn afro" your meal, dude, no matter how hard you try.

I will contact the people who come up with Taco Bell and Mt. Dew ads.  I will tell these people that they need to start using the word "gruzzle" in a context that implies devouring of a food and/or drink in an extreme way, as if the consumer had gone several days without sustanance.  After a few weeks of ads on Spike TV, ESPN 2 and Comedy Central, kids will be ALL ABOUT gruzzling up some Crunch Wrap Supremes and a liter of Code Red after a long night at the paintball range.

Think outside the bun, Jough.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: melack on April 14, 2006, 05:00:52 pm
I'm not sure how to feel about Ray bribing Theodore to not check on Phillipe... in the name of Braveheart. Especially when you know he's just gonna purposely leave the room for the scene where Wallace is drawn and quartered, anyways.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2006, 05:03:34 pm
Beef uses the term gruffle, and while Ray understands it's meaning based on the context of it's usage, he has never actually heard it before.  The next morning he is attempting to use this hip new word, but getting it not quite right.

~Paul
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Xngurevar on April 14, 2006, 08:16:39 pm
Beef uses the term gruffle, and while Ray understands it's meaning based on the context of it's usage, he has never actually heard it before.  The next morning he is attempting to use this hip new word, but getting it not quite right.

~Paul

No, Ray uses "gruffle" on the 10th (http://achewood.com/raysplace.php), the day before Beef uses it in the bacon-wrapped shrimp context.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on April 14, 2006, 08:20:55 pm
No, Ray uses "gruffle" on the 10th (http://achewood.com/raysplace.php), the day before Beef uses it in the bacon-wrapped shrimp context.

Ok, in that case, it's 5:00 AM and Ray has been drinking all night and got it not quite right.  I believe he meant gruffle at any rate.

~Paul
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Xngurevar on April 14, 2006, 08:50:10 pm
Ok, in that case, it's 5:00 AM and Ray has been drinking all night and got it not quite right.  I believe he meant gruffle at any rate.

I suspect that you gruffle at wedding receptions, and you gruffle your ham pizza and Caesar salad, but what you get down to after a long night of drinking and watching Mel Gibson being tortured to death is gruzzling.  It's manlier.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 14, 2006, 08:54:58 pm
Maybe gruzzling is that sort of manic eating while nuzzling. Like cunnilingus in fast forward. Or with a full beard.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: misterqueue on April 14, 2006, 08:58:25 pm
Maybe gruzzling is that sort of manic eating while nuzzling. Like cunnilingus in fast forward. Or with a full beard.

I don't think I've ever given cunnilingus to someone with a full beard.

huh.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: atom on April 14, 2006, 10:38:41 pm
No, Ray uses "gruffle" on the 10th (http://achewood.com/raysplace.php), the day before Beef uses it in the bacon-wrapped shrimp context.

Ray's actually had that particular word in his vocabulary for a while now. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11232004)
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 14, 2006, 10:40:52 pm
I don't think I've ever given cunnilingus to someone with a full beard.

huh.

I don't believe you. Also see: Bearded Clam.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Hobot on April 14, 2006, 11:04:28 pm
How could you refuse $100 and an omelette?  The answer is, "You couldn't."


Well, come to think of it, I'd forego the omelette.  But not so the $100.





Also: "He probably just fell asleep exactly wherever he was standing at 8:30!"
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 14, 2006, 11:33:37 pm
I'm thinking that Onstad may be trying to see how far he can go with Ray trying and failing to Talk All Street.

Perhaps on Monday Ray with "grundle" his breakfast, Wednesday he will "bindle" his lunch and Friday "totally bonch all over" his dinner.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: robot_god on April 14, 2006, 11:37:16 pm
Ray's actually had that particular word in his vocabulary for a while now. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11232004)

Impressive find.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: oball on April 15, 2006, 12:12:54 am
Onstad needs to sign up for that website where you can transcribe the dialogue from each comic and then search it later.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: mrdna1 on April 15, 2006, 02:28:18 am
I'm not sure how to feel about Ray bribing Theodore to not check on Phillipe... in the name of Braveheart. Especially when you know he's just gonna purposely leave the room for the scene where Wallace is drawn and quartered, anyways.
Ray's always seemed pretty kind to Philippe, so I don't think it was meant as malicious so much as a mixture of "hey, kids will be kids" and his innate Ray-ness (ie: setting Philippe up with some Ketel One after French Fry died).
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Roger on April 15, 2006, 04:59:39 am
Four words, people:

Rock Star Soccer Roßot 9

Wait, was that five words?
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Doc on April 15, 2006, 02:57:56 pm
Roger makes a good point: That is exactly the sort of book I would want to read when I was 5.

But yeah: Ray has no malicious intentions, he just assumes good stuff happens to people because in his experience it always has.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: oball on April 16, 2006, 11:32:39 am
EDIT: I humbly apologise for daring to contravene the all-mighty word filter and bringing down the wrath of JOUGH, He who controls the puny, insignificant existences of those who post upon His messageboard.  I abase myself before Him in the vain hope that I may not get sent down unto the fire-pits of Banland.

For ever and ever, amen.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Mite on April 16, 2006, 12:37:20 pm
Oh, you're no fun anymore.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: wombat on April 16, 2006, 01:26:08 pm
You can bypass the word filter by putting tags in the middle of the word, you know.

Robot robot robot, pants pants pants.


OMG.

And: hoss..... horse! Glory hallelujah!
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on April 16, 2006, 05:50:47 pm
every time someone asks why those words are filtered, they say "do a search! archives, noob!" but I can never find it.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: V-Adore on April 16, 2006, 06:43:05 pm
The deep dark secret is that some of us here since Month 1 never really got an explanation, either.

That said, I kinda like creative dodging. "Roßot" just has some style to it that "r[/i]obot" doesn't.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Hobot on April 16, 2006, 07:23:45 pm
The deep dark secret is that some of us here since Month 1 never really got an explanation, either.

That said, I kinda like creative dodging. "Roßot" just has some style to it that "r[/i]obot" doesn't.

Especially because it would be pronounced something like "ross (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_language#Writing_system)ot."
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 17, 2006, 12:18:59 am
"Roßot" just has some style to it that "r[/i]obot" doesn't.

That said, if Will Smith come outs with a sequel called "R, Iobot" in the next few years, you'll be the one who called it.

That's gotta count for something.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on April 17, 2006, 02:04:16 am
every time someone asks why those words are filtered, they say "do a search! archives, noob!" but I can never find it.

http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1029.msg19450.html#msg19450
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on April 17, 2006, 03:05:37 am
Leave it to the master.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Roger on April 17, 2006, 06:11:01 am
Robot robot robot, pants pants pants.

Now I feel kinda sorry for the poor, pathetic filter.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: AlohaDawg on April 17, 2006, 05:54:28 pm
You can bypass the word filter by putting tags in the middle of the word, you know.

Robot robot robot, pants pants pants.

Why are those words filtered, anyway?

BOO to this. Spoiler.

Is this bannable?
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: jough on April 17, 2006, 11:08:19 pm
Yeah, don't subvert the filters, kids.  They're there for a reason.

I think instead of making things bannable from now on (other than spam or threatening other members or something) that I'll just deduct 100 cans for infractions, and then once a month anyone who has 10 or more negative cans just gets auto-banned.  That'll keep out the riff-raff, and put the karma system to good use.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: CortJstr on April 18, 2006, 01:35:09 am
Yeah, don't subvert the filters, kids.  They're there for a reason.

Hey, I was subverting the filters before it was cool. But sadly I've yet to discover a way of subverting the filter inside a link which is the one time it would actually be necessary.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2006, 02:38:18 am
oh man, alohadawg, you totally called this.

now people are going to get hell of freaked out about negative cans.

(or not. but, you know. I saw it, and got a little worried.)
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2006, 02:46:54 am
OMG THAT'S what I did?

I am HELL OF FREAKED OUT.

You can't punish someone for doing something before a law was passed against it, can you?
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on April 18, 2006, 03:08:40 am
You can't punish someone for doing something before a law was passed against it, can you?

Not in the US, at least for now.  No ex post facto laws and all that...
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: jough on April 18, 2006, 04:29:56 am
This isn't the U.S.  This is "Net."

(someone sent me an anonymous email the other day signed "A concerned net citizen." - I didn't know "net" was a country you could live in)

Anyway, I should have an auto-smackdown karma filter in place by tomorrow.  It will be retroactive, so I hope you all find your posts in which you put image tags (or any other tags) in the middle of filter words, because you'll be getting hell of negative cans.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: AugustWest on April 18, 2006, 04:35:52 am


(someone sent me an anonymous email the other day signed "A concerned net citizen." - I didn't know "net" was a country you could live in)


If it isn't it damn well should be.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2006, 04:48:35 am
oh my gosh
I know I have never done that, but, I am so terrified.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: jough on April 18, 2006, 05:11:05 am
oh my gosh
I know I have never done that, but, I am so terrified.

Welcome to the Bush Administration America (or Baa).  Of course, BAA could have other meanings.  Be afraid, asshole.*




* edited to note that I was not calling "theinevitable" "asshole" - he's good people.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: oball on April 18, 2006, 09:25:21 am
Anyway, I should have an auto-smackdown karma filter in place by tomorrow.  It will be retroactive, so I hope you all find your posts in which you put image tags (or any other tags) in the middle of filter words, because you'll be getting hell of negative cans.

Oh well, guess I won't be posting here anymore.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2006, 11:19:52 am
Jough-- thank you for that. Thank you for knowing that I would take that personally.

oball-- dang. hell of spearmint-flavored cans.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: oball on April 18, 2006, 12:19:32 pm
That's what happens when you try to speak out against The Man.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: pmcd9 on April 18, 2006, 01:46:32 pm
Now the cans are meaningless AND selectively cruel.

~Paul
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Mite on April 18, 2006, 03:31:22 pm
Now the cans are meaningless AND selectively cruel.

~Paul
Just like real life!
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2006, 03:33:29 pm
oh god.

this is like the TrageDie. Why have fun, when you can make every activity as pointlessly mean as real life!?
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: jough on April 18, 2006, 03:37:13 pm
Why have fun, when you can make every activity as pointlessly mean as real life!?

+200
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: jough on April 18, 2006, 03:38:28 pm
Oh well, guess I won't be posting here anymore.

Well, you still have the rest of April to AMEND YOUR WAYS.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: V-Adore on April 18, 2006, 07:40:24 pm
Yeah, I feel like Jough just rolled the TrageDie and it came up "Strange Dread Over Retroactive Enforcement Of Law Against Previously-Thought-Inoffensive Activity!" And that costs me Dexterity points, dammit! Now I'll never be able to be a falconer!

I wonder if this is how NOT TO BE MENTIONED HERE felt before the big hammer of God came down?
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2006, 07:43:59 pm
jough! what is the deal? You're supposed to be mean or something.

but also: wow, thanks.
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Mite on April 18, 2006, 08:02:46 pm
jough! what is the deal? You're supposed to be mean or something.

but also: wow, thanks.

Naw, he's just a big ol' softy at heart. Well, at his cold, metallic ***** heart, anyway.

I don't know what I did to deserve my new-found bounty, but thanks!
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: oball on April 19, 2006, 04:25:49 am
Well, if you have too many, you could consider throwing a few to those less fortunate than yourself.

Well, you still have the rest of April to AMEND YOUR WAYS.

Wahey.  Would it help if I went back and retconned the post that got me can-raped in the first place?
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: jough on April 19, 2006, 04:52:18 am
Maybe...
Title: Re: Totally asleep alive kid. - April 14th, 2006
Post by: Mite on April 19, 2006, 11:08:51 am
Well, if you have too many, you could consider throwing a few to those less fortunate than yourself.

Wahey.  Would it help if I went back and retconned the post that got me can-raped in the first place?

Hey dog, I've been chuckin' em at you every chance I get. Slowly but surely, we'll get you back in black.